Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stay at home vs College

Options
  • 24-06-2009 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

I started a degree in Nursing in UCD last September even though I knew I was pregnant and completed my xmas exams and everything, with the full intention in completing degree after taking a year off for the baby. Well baby is here and I am thinking! Nursing is a career that involves 12 hour shifts and a variety of both night and day shifts!

I am conflicted as to whether I should complete the course as my partner is a med student so he will be working even more sporadic hours so he will barely get to see our son! I am worried that our little boy would grow up knowing a minder better than us. I don't want to just stay at home and do nothing, I was reading about doing evening courses in childcare and other child related courses as I feel I would want to look after children as a career so I would be there for my son everyday after he comes home from school and be there in the mornings and to tuck him in at night. I should also mention I am in my early twenties so I have no doubt there is always a chance that my son may have sibling(s) in years yet to come!

I suppose I am looking for other mums/dads to say what they have decided to do concerning this matter and how it worked out for them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I'm a childminder and have looked after a nurse's child. Thing is with nursing you may have long days but you also have short days. I know nurses who only work part-time such as 2 days a week or just do nights or days only and have changed their hours to meet family commitments.

Personally If I was in your position I'd stick with nursing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭This

as the daughter of 2 parents who are both in the medical field I have never felt hard done by or like I never got to know them. while i did have a minder 3/4 days a week, the other days were ALL about the kids and they always found ways to make sure i knew they loved and cared about me.

it really just depends on what YOU want, you will find a way to fit plans around your family

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cobweb

it depends on what you want i did nurising and worked at it for years. Christmas was a nightmare as the off duty book came out in March for requesting days off for Christmas and it didnt always go my way, also planning for weekends etc and I had no kids. Well I retrained and became a teacher now expecting number 1 baby and no worries.

I would finish the training as it will always stand to you as an agency nurse etc and also you could be lucky get OPD or another 9 to 5 job ie practise nurse and the above would not be an issue. You could also job share nights one week in 5 working, there are advantages and disadvantages, depends on where you will end up working but you can find a way around it.

Good luck with your decision

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

If you enjoy iy keep it up,
    You will have a degree which even if you decide not to work in nursing it opens up lots of other opportunities for you.
    If you drop out you may never go back.

Advertisement