Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing Firearms

Options
  • 24-06-2009 1:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭

I know theres confusion at the moment with the laws changing, but i'm in austria and have a rifle out here.

Thing is I like the gun and want to bring it home for good in january, I know i'm planning ahead but i'm thinking with the irish system it's better to get a head start.

People have been saying its going to be impossible to import firearms when the new laws come in.

Anybody got any advice or words of wisdom?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

i think the difficulty is around pistols and revolvers , i think you can bring a rifle in relatively easily , my last centrefire rifle came in from england and the dealer did it for me , but with my pistols i had to do it as the dealer wasn't permitted to do so .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

oztots wrote: »
    I know theres confusion at the moment with the laws changing, but i'm in austria and have a rifle out here.

Thing is I like the gun and want to bring it home for good in january, I know i'm planning ahead but i'm thinking with the irish system it's better to get a head start.

People have been saying its going to be impossible to import firearms when the new laws come in.

Anybody got any advice or words of wisdom?

The intention is to ban non-face to face transactions within the EU. This is actually a clause in the amended EU weapons directive, it is not intended to stop legitimate owners returning to Ireland with their firearms.

The only restriction is that you can only import what you can licence here and you would have to prove ownership of the firearm before the import.

So basicly you're fine. You need to apply for your licence here and get an EU firearms pass (you could probably get that in Austria as well). It's probably a good idea to ring the DoJ and check to see whether you need an import permit also.

Advertisement