Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arlovski's career looks overski, dropped from Affliction

Options
  • 24-06-2009 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭

AA has gone from Would-Be Undisputed World No.1 in the Heavyweight division to a has-been in 2 fights.

Will he ever fight a top ranked opponent again?

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15290/affliction-entertainment-cuts-ties-with-heavyweight-andrei-arlovski.mma
    Affliction Entertainment cuts ties with heavyweight Andrei Arlovski

Andrei Arlovski's days as a fighter for Affliction Entertainment are over.

Fighters Only first reported that Affliction Vice President Tom Atencio will not offer Arlovski a new contract now that his original deal has expired. MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has since independently confirmed the news.

Arlovski (15-7), a former UFC heavyweight champion, most recently suffered a 22-second TKO loss to Brett Rogers at a June 6 Strikeforce event.

The late booking allowed Arlovski to fight on the Showtime-televised portion of the St. Louis card. However, he was quickly staggered and beaten with strikes by Rogers until the TKO stoppage.

Prior to the loss, Arlovski fought top-ranked heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko and suffered a first-round knockout loss at "Affliction: Day of Reckoning" in January. Arlovski had posted five consecutive wins (all but one via knockout) before the back-to-back losses.

Arlovski was one of Affliction's biggest earners. He earned $750,000 ($250,000 of which was a win bonus) for a win over Ben Rothwell in July 2008, and he earned an additional $1.5 million disclosed salary in the loss to Emelianenko.

Now that he's headed to the free-agent market, he's unlikely to find such sizable paydays, though his notoriety and past UFC title run should draw plenty of suitors domestically and abroad.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

It sucks for him, Arlovski has everything that you want in a fighter...everything except a chin

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Plus, for someone who is looking into a pro boxing career, it looks like Freddie Roache hasn't taught him a thing about head movement.

AA does nothing but move backward and stick his head in the air when being attacked.

I sure hope Roache didn't teach him that flying knee he threw at Fedor either

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭cmb.

silly thread - ok, so affliction, a company whose bookkeeping makes setantas look like accountants of the year are trying to offload some of their asilly money contracts - he is still very much in demand and will have ufc, wvr, dream, strikeforce etc all making offers - not the silly money afliction were giving him but still nits just as silly to say he is done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Plus, for someone who is looking into a pro boxing career, it looks like Freddie Roache hasn't taught him a thing about head movement.

AA does nothing but move backward and stick his head in the air when being attacked.

I sure hope Roache didn't teach him that flying knee he threw at Fedor either
    Ah yes...The flying knee...Every boxing coaches secret go to move:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Hope to see Arlovski fight Crocop and/or Overeem soon with dream/anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Would like to see him back in the UFC. He was very popular with UFC fans and Dana will be able to pick him up on the cheap. Why not I say..

PS. He'll never be a boxer. His chin means he has to throw the killer punch before his oponent does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

If I was Dana, I would look to pick up AA for cheap. Hes an ex champion, and bearing in mind that one of his recent losses was to Fedor, I think people are being too harsh on him at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

I always thought he was overhyped anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

It doesn't look like Affliction will be doing another show after this anyway, and Arlovski's under medical suspension for their next show, so I don't really consider it to be major news. He's just been released from his contract now rather than in a few months

If the UFC were able to get him without having to spend much then I think that it would be a good deal for them. I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen

Advertisement