Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pressure vessel setup

Options
  • 24-06-2009 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just recently replaced a pressure vessel that had failed because the plumber that installed it originally used a non-potable one on a fresh water pressurised system. It corroded and popped!

So, new correct one now installed. However, I have heard that the pressure vessels require calibration / setup with the little valve on top of them.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what needs to be done here etc? What kit is required etc...

Ta,
    Jab

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

i cant I thought these were calibrated using mains and working boiler pressure. sorry but i am a little worried about the pressure vessel. a potabla water one is normally used in commercial situations where the heating and hot water run through the same pipes. If your vessel corroded so much I wonder do you have a leak.

Can you tell me a little more about your system or are you happy enough knowing its ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

The pressure vessel (accumulator) needs to be pre-charged with air to just slightly less than the minimum working pressure of the system. Ideally you need to do this before filling the system with water, as the water pressure on one side of the diaphragm can efect the air pressure on the other.

It sounds like you have a pumped fresh water system. The pressure vessel should be pre-charged to just less that the pump switch on pressure. So if the pump is set to switch on at 2 bar and off at 4 bar, then pressurise the vessel to 1.9 bar before installing it.

The air valve on the top of the pressure vessel is a Schraeder valve, same as on a car tyre, so a car foot pump is ideal. Most foot pumps have a pressure guage built in. If the vessel is already installed into the system you will need to drain it down to remove the water pressure so that you get an accurate reading of the pre-charge pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

Pete67 wrote: »
    The pressure vessel (accumulator) needs to be pre-charged with air to just slightly less than the minimum working pressure of the system. Ideally you need to do this before filling the system with water, as the water pressure on one side of the diaphragm can efect the air pressure on the other.

It sounds like you have a pumped fresh water system. The pressure vessel should be pre-charged to just less that the pump switch on pressure. So if the pump is set to switch on at 2 bar and off at 4 bar, then pressurise the vessel to 1.9 bar before installing it.

The air valve on the top of the pressure vessel is a Schraeder valve, same as on a car tyre, so a car foot pump is ideal. Most foot pumps have a pressure guage built in. If the vessel is already installed into the system you will need to drain it down to remove the water pressure so that you get an accurate reading of the pre-charge pressure.

Bingo! Perfect. Thanks a mill,
    Jab

Advertisement