Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Restaraunts in Town

Options
  • 24-06-2009 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭

Just wondering can anyone help me with finding a nice family Chinese Restaraunt in town thanks :pac: Allan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Noble House on Dame St. is lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Loads around Parnell St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭idunnoutellme

i second noble house...affordable and tasty
    would anyone recommend any particular place on parnell st? they dont look very inviting from outside to me...i'd be afraid of quality of food

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭emperor_krunchy

Fans on Dame St. also:)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭emperor_krunchy

i second noble house...affordable and tasty
    would anyone recommend any particular place on parnell st? they dont look very inviting from outside to me...i'd be afraid of quality of food

I went to the one on the corner directly across from the spar or londis (or whatever it is)
    but it was quite nice...no idea what it was called though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

CHARLIES:D...no not really
    Its a little outside of the city centre but... wongs in Ranelagh is very good
    Thats the only one that I know is good but heres a website which may help:
    http://www.menupages.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

I 2nd Fans :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

poisonated wrote: »
    CHARLIES:D...no not really
    Its a little outside of the city centre but... wongs in Ranelagh is very good
    Thats the only one that I know is good but heres a website which may help:
    http://www.menupages.ie

Ah Charlies, how i love thee :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jason1977

Ok where do i start . well for a start its on abbey street not exactaly fifth avenue. on coming off o'connel street onto abbey street we seen a crowd outside what looked like a soup kitchen from americas great depresion. it was no soup kitchen it was ,,,,, you guessed it . FULL HOUSE. on entering, the door was open and the food is literaly at the front door . we were giving a seat for two beside the kitchen which had no door so you can imagin the traffic and not to mention the noise . so anyway , off to the trough we went . the chicken wings where smothered in a thick batter and dripping in grease , the chicken balls were actually mushroom balls . yes you can imagine the shock on both me and my girlfriends faces when we found out that surprise . the batter was dripping in grease and the mushroom was soggy and resembling something a kid with swine flu might blow into a tissue. the spring rolls ha ha , russian winter more like it . they where cheep tiny very cold and had absolutly no filling . lets move on to the curry . surely being chinese this should be the corner stone of the meal but yet again like everything in this resteraunt it was found wanting . the chips where freezing , rice was not that bad but to be honest how hard is it to cook rice . DONT TOUCH THE MUSCLES . the sheer sight of them will make you want to claw your own eyes out with the dirty forks your expected to eat this spuel with . also when we asked for a beverage we were givin cans with straws, we then had to ask for glasses, the ones we got were filthy. i wasnt once asked if i enjoyed my meal, i wonder why?! in conclusion, DO NOT EAT IN FULL HOUSE..................EVER!!!!!!!!:(:mad:

The imperial on Wicklow St is nice. As is the one up beside the gaiety (can't remember the name) I always find it a good sign when there's loads of chinese people eating there!

All you can eat in Jimmy Chungs is supposed to be great but haven't been myself.

• Advertisement

jason1977 wrote: »
    Ok where do i start . ......., DO NOT EAT IN FULL HOUSE..................EVER!!!!!!!!:(:mad:

If it looked so bad from the outside, why the hell did you go in???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

All you can eat in Jimmy Chungs is supposed to be great but haven't been myself.

Awful!! Be thankful you haven't wasted your money there!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Goodworld....

a regular haunt of mine and some great people working there too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Charming Noodle on Parnell Street is just divine.Bets Chinese in Dublin without question!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Jimmy chungs is great..the best of food and all you can eat for 15 quid..the starters alone are worth the money..shredded duck,bbq ribs,chicken balls,chicken skewers..everything you can imagine.
    I'm drooling just thinking about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭glanman

The imperial on Wicklow St is nice. As is the one up beside the gaiety (can't remember the name) I always find it a good sign when there's loads of chinese people eating there!

My OH swears by this place... I have been once and enjoyed it... She loves the Dim Sun menu which is very rare in Ireland by all accounts. I think you can only get the Dim Sum menu before 5pm or something too... The have oads of Dumlpings. Things like Char Sui Bun which were unbelievable.

We were in a random one on Abbey street which had Dim Sum menu too but it was poor.

I have been to Wongs in Castleknock which was pretty good too.

Anyone know of other places around Dublin and Ireland that have Dim Sum menus????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

allanb49 wrote: »
    Just wondering can anyone help me with finding a nice family Chinese Restaraunt in town thanks :pac: Allan

Depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for the more usual "Irish" Chinese then Fans/Noble House/Good World are all good bets. I'd say if you are bring the family then these are for you.

If you're feeling more adventurous then most of the places on Parnell street are great. Bit more rough and ready but the food is hard to beat.
    panda100 wrote: »
    Charming Noodle on Parnell Street is just divine.Bets Chinese in Dublin without question!
    Keep going, few doors up Tian Yuan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

Ok where do i start . well for a start its on abbey street not exactaly fifth avenue. on coming off o'connel street onto abbey street we seen a crowd outside what looked like a soup kitchen from americas great depresion. it was no soup kitchen it was ,,,,, you guessed it . FULL HOUSE. on entering, the door was open and the food is literaly at the front door . we were giving a seat for two beside the kitchen which had no door so you can imagin the traffic and not to mention the noise . so anyway , off to the trough we went . the chicken wings where smothered in a thick batter and dripping in grease , the chicken balls were actually mushroom balls . yes you can imagine the shock on both me and my girlfriends faces when we found out that surprise . the batter was dripping in grease and the mushroom was soggy and resembling something a kid with swine flu might blow into a tissue. the spring rolls ha ha , russian winter more like it . they where cheep tiny very cold and had absolutly no filling . lets move on to the curry . surely being chinese this should be the corner stone of the meal but yet again like everything in this resteraunt it was found wanting . the chips where freezing , rice was not that bad but to be honest how hard is it to cook rice . DONT TOUCH THE MUSCLES . the sheer sight of them will make you want to claw your own eyes out with the dirty forks your expected to eat this spuel with . also when we asked for a beverage we were givin cans with straws, we then had to ask for glasses, the ones we got were filthy. i wasnt once asked if i enjoyed my meal, i wonder why?! in conclusion, DO NOT EAT IN FULL HOUSE..................EVER!!!!!!!!:(:mad:

Bit of an exageration there, Full House ain't so bad, the food is okay and for what it is the service is fine, what's so wrong with drinking out of the can? It's a slight step up above a fast food place, not the Ivy, treat it like that and it's fine

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Degsy wrote: »
    Jimmy chungs is great..the best of food and all you can eat for 15 quid..the starters alone are worth the money..shredded duck,bbq ribs,chicken balls,chicken skewers..everything you can imagine.
    I'm drooling just thinking about it!
    Cant agree with you there, some nice stuff and it is cheap, but I didn't think the food was great at all. Dry and boring.

I used to love Kingsland on Dame st but I noticed the other day its changed, have no idea if they just changed the name or its a different place altogether. Tis directly across the road from Fans

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    I used to love Kingsland on Dame st but I noticed the other day its changed, have no idea if they just changed the name or its a different place altogether. Tis directly across the road from Fans

:eek: are you serious? That place was the biggest sh1thole I've ever eaten in.. the food was muck, tiny portions of muck I might add and the place itself was manky dirty.. I was actually coming in here to warn the op off the place but I see it's now gone, good riddance :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Kingsland is now called KingCharlies. You can guess who runs it. No idea what it's like though but I'm sure it's more civil at 2.30am than the take aways!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭jackthekipper

I ate in New World on George Street once, pricey but very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

;)
    allanb49 wrote: »

jade garden (i think!)

off capel street,beside AIB......ask for the chinese menu.

if in a group though....be warned-dishes arrive as they're cooked.NOT
    necessarily altogether....i'm ashamed to say have been only once....

keep meaning to go back.

not the fanciest of places-but by christ the food is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beanok77

Okay not city centre but this place is not to be missed!

Hen Keng Chineese Restaurant, Clontarf 10 mins from city centre.

Great food, reasonable portions and a full bar menu. Also family friendly.

The 4 times i've been there they have given me and my family a free round of drinks (4 people) and this seems to be the case with most guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

Ok where do i start . well for a start its on abbey street not exactaly fifth avenue. on coming off o'connel street onto abbey street we seen a crowd outside what looked like a soup kitchen from americas great depresion. it was no soup kitchen it was ,,,,, you guessed it . FULL HOUSE. on entering, the door was open and the food is literaly at the front door . we were giving a seat for two beside the kitchen which.....:

Why'd ya even go in then?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Citygirl1

If you are looking for real Chinese food, (not the "westernised" type) to to M&L's on Cathedral Street - it's just off O'Connell Street, behind the Pro-Cathedral.

Around 90% of the customers in this restaurant at any time are Chinese, bearing testament to the quality of the food.

The food is delicious - the best Chinese I've ever had, and I've been there several times. It is probably easiest if you are with a Chinese person - I've always been with my sister in law, (who is Chinese) - and let her do the ordering. However, you could try from the English menu.

Remember, this is the real Chinese experience! - All dishes are placed in the middle of the table, and everyone shares. Chopsticks are the norm, though they'll give knive and fork to Irish people. The restaurant is also very noisy, so I wouldn't recommend for a quiet night out.

The set-up is fairly similar in the restaurants on Parnell St. However, in our experience M&Ls is the best. Prices are very good value also. :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Citygirl1 wrote: »
    If you are looking for real Chinese food, (not the "westernised" type) to to M&L's on Cathedral Street - it's just off O'Connell Street, behind the Pro-Cathedral.
    :)

Yeah there's a place on Capel Street called Hilan that boasts an authentic Chinese menu, haven't eaten there in a while but it's quite nice from what I remember.. they have these huge vats made into some of the tables so you can cook the food yourself.. Never tried that but it seems pretty popular.. Also they seem to get a lot of Asian clientele which to me would indicate that it is indeed ‘just like home’

The actual restaurant itself wouldn’t be the swankiest but the food is really, really cheap and so is the Chinese beer.. I remember having a 2 course meal for 2 with a couple of beers for something like 35 quid..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Citygirl1 wrote: »

Around 90% of the customers in this restaurant at any time are Chinese, bearing testament to the quality of the food.

The food is delicious - the best Chinese I've ever had, and I've been there several times. It is probably easiest if you are with a Chinese person - I've always been with my sister in law, (who is Chinese) - and let her do the ordering. However, you could try from the English menu.

Remember, this is the real Chinese experience! - All dishes are placed in the middle of the table, and everyone shares. Chopsticks are the norm, though they'll give knive and fork to Irish people. The restaurant is also very noisy, so I wouldn't recommend for a quiet night out.

The set-up is fairly similar in the restaurants on Parnell St. However, in our experience M&Ls is the best. Prices are very good value also. :)

I've walked passed here a few times and it always PACKED!Must try it out sometime.

Advertisement