Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England in big tournaments

• 24-06-2009 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭

Do you like to see them do well?

Big yes for me. Love the Premier League (I'm aware of the multitude of foreigners etc) and I support an English based club. I find the English in general love to see us do well when we qualify. They love the plucky underdog! :)

Have a feeling I might be needing a tin hat mind...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

I like them to get to the quarters or semis and to lose on penalties, makes their misery so much more enjoyable.

Seriousely though, its not that I dislike the players, I respect them, all its just I hate the whole English Football culture come World Cup time. The english tabloids with their stupid campaigns, the way some of their fans turn into obnoxious gits and the reaction when they lose, ie the culture of blame like what happened to David Beckham in 98.

I like England to do well in other sports-the olympics, cricket or even rugby when it doesn't affect Ireland but I don't ever see myself supporting them at the football WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

themont85 wrote: »
    I like them to get to the quarters or semis and to lose on penalties, makes their misery so much more enjoyable.

Seriousely though, its not that I dislike the players, I respect them, all its just I hate the whole English Football culture come World Cup time. The english tabloids with their stupid campaigns, the way some of their fans turn into obnoxious gits and the reaction when they lose, ie the culture of blame like what happened to David Beckham in 98.

I like England to do well in other sports-the olympics, cricket or even rugby when it doesn't affect Ireland but I don't ever see myself supporting them at the football WC.

Good point I guess. Find the scapegoating mildly amusing (Beckham, Seaman, Ronaldo etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

I Hate Seeing Them Win, And If They Were To Win The World Cup It Would Be Like Living A Nightmare For The Rest Of My Life. No1 Will Ever Hear The End Of It If They Did Win It Just Like 66. Papers Covered From Back To Front About England Been The Greatest Team Ever And Wayne Rooney Been The Best Player In The World, And As They Say From That Ad About Drink Drivin Except Slightly Changed "Could You Live With The Pain?" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Nothing agin 'em as a team. The media coverage tends to get to me after a while.

There'd be other teams I prefer though, especially the likes of Brazil. Right now, mar shampla, Spain are nicer to watch than England, so I'd rather watch them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Love your small time attitude!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Redzer7 wrote: »
    I Hate Seeing Them Win, And If They Were To Win The World Cup It Would Be Like Living A Nightmare For The Rest Of My Life. No1 Will Ever Hear The End Of It If They Did Win It Just Like 66. Papers Covered From Back To Front About England Been The Greatest Team Ever And Wayne Rooney Been The Best Player In The World, And As They Say From That Ad About Drink Drivin Except Slightly Changed "Could You Live With The Pain?" :pac:

This would be easily avoidable, watch Irish tv/read Irish papers etc.

I do agree that our press is a joke and the hype over our team is just way OTT but its out national sport and I must say I do get caught up in it also. I much prefer that than the attitude of 'oh well its great being here'.

edit: And Why Do You Start Every Word With A Capital Letter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I like to see them do well. Obviously I wouldn't designate myself as a supporter of theirs, but in the end of the day, they'll a group of players I watch week in week out throughout the year. I hate the Engish press as much as the next man, but the easy solution to that is to just don't read the English press around World Cup time, it's that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    edit: And Why Do You Start Every Word With A Capital Letter?
    Don't Know Mate It's Just That I'm On Me Phone And The First Letter In Every Word Is A Capital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

No, I usually love seeing them fall flat on their backside and the reason for that is their insufferable media. It happens as well with Wimbledon. I like tennis and I've nothing against Andy Murray whatsoever but I want him to be eliminated purely because the hype over the guy is just ridiculous at this point. I notice many Britons saying the same thing. It was the case with the Henmania rubbish and in football it's always the "______ years of hurt" etc.

A bit more common sense and humility would go a long way.

In certain sports, such as snooker, you see far more respect and class shown towards the sporting event and not this sense that an Englishman must win. I often tended to root for Jimmy White when he was in tournaments on TV.

Other sports though such as tennis, F1, and certainly football, feature commentators and pundits fawning over the sportsmen and bombarding viewers with notions of 'destiny' and weak, and sometimes downright ridiculous, analysis. Remember Garth Crooks talking to Sven about how "the formation worked"? I believe this was after a World Cup game against Ecuador where they played terribly and only beat them thanks to a Beckham free-kick?

No, they don't get my support in football. I want to see them lose and I want to see Ian Wright close to tears!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

Depends really. I remember in the 2002 World Cup I wanted to see them do well as they had 4 Leeds players in their squad (Martyn, Ferdinand, Mills, Fowler) and Smith and Bowyer were knocking around with the English squad too, but recently I f*cking HATE them and want them to lose every game they play.

Too many over-paid, under-performing prima donnas, and worst of all, the English media going on like Capello is the second coming, FFS, he's beaten Belarus, Andorra and Khazakstan!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I always get a kick out of the English media finding a scapegoat for their inevitable failures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

when their U21's lined up before the match with Spain's U21 last week, the commentator on 5 live saying "i wonder how many of these players will be avaialble next year when these 2 teams square off in the quarter or semi finals in south africa". do u bloody well think so. don't count yer chickens, yea it's good to be hopeful and wonder, but dont start telling the future coz there's every chance it won't happen.

like another poster, i like to see them go so far only to be pumped out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

No, I usually love seeing them fall flat on their backside and the reason for that is their insufferable media.
    Ah, the English media. Heroes of the EPL olés when they are sticking it to nasty foreigner M. Platini and any hint of reform that might threaten the Sky4; villains when they get behind their national team.

I sit down to watch England having made a cool intellectual decision to support them: cultural proximity, friends, English club support... all that. Then the goons start up Rule Britannia and everything is ruined. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,729 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

SectionF wrote: »
    Ah, the English media. Heroes of the EPL olés when they are sticking it to nasty foreigner M. Platini and any hint of reform that might threaten the Sky4;

There is no such thing as a Sky 4, it is a myth dreamt up probably by the same type of people who managed Setanta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,460 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Boggles wrote: »
    There is no such thing as a Sky 4, it is a myth dreamt up probably by the same type of people who managed Setanta.

Indeed. It is not a Sky 4, it is a CL 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Good to see the hatters are getting in some light training for next summer!

G'wan Engerland (in the Under 21s cos thats all thats on right now)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Born there so after Ireland, they're the team I support in tournaments.
    mike65 wrote: »
    Good to see the hatters are getting in some light training for next summer!

International tournament. Teams like Luton won't be at it. :)

as regards to the OP, I like to see United players do well. If the England team didn't contain any United players, I would not care about them. As it is, I would love to see Rooney be a star at an international tournament, same with Rio, same with Vidic (especially true of O'Shea!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,729 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

as regards to the OP, I like to see United players do well. If the England team didn't contain any United players, I would not care about them. As it is, I would love to see Rooney be a star at an international tournament, same with Rio, same with Vidic (especially true of O'Shea!!)

Same here always exciting to see the players from the team your support in a different dimension.

Personally couldn't give a fook if England go out in the first round or if they win the tournament, the media is overbearing, but thats an easy fix.

Doesn't really matter, if Capello persists with the current lineup they havn't a hope in hell of winning the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Their media isn't trying to cater for Irish people , funnily enough because they are not Irish . They are trying to cater for their own so they can be as biased as they like as far as I care. Those of you who say "oh we'll never hear the end of it" should realise that they don't know the stupid Irish take in their media so much and nor should they. The Italians and Spanish are just as bad and not a word said about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Depends really. I remember in the 2002 World Cup I wanted to see them do well as they had 4 Leeds players in their squad (Martyn, Ferdinand, Mills, Fowler) and Smith and Bowyer were knocking around with the English squad too, but recently I f*cking HATE them and want them to lose every game they play.

Too many over-paid, under-performing prima donnas, and worst of all, the English media going on like Capello is the second coming, FFS, he's beaten Belarus, Andorra and Khazakstan!

Presumably you think our boys are under-paid and over-performing :confused:

He's also beaten Croatia and Ukraine , They've won every game and look shoo-ins to qualify

Any critisism of English media should be tempted by the knowledge that last summer the media here ran a bunch of 20th Anniversary of the Win over England in Stuttgart stories.

Now if thats not a bit desperate....

Bit rich to hear people going on about the media considering the Irish media are completely culpable in that respect. They still can't stfu about games from decades ago that everyone else (including the 'oppressors') have long since forgotten about.

edit: snap Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I can never make my mind up whether to support them or not come final time (assuming Ireland dont make it, which is fairly regular these days)....I mean I like to see a team with Rooney, Brown, Ferdinand, Hargreaves etc etc doing well, but I find it odd rooting for a team with Gerrard, Lampard and Ashley Cole in it.

So if they win WC2010, well done to them....or maybe not!:confused::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Do you like to see them do well?

Big yes for me. Love the Premier League (I'm aware of the multitude of foreigners etc) and I support an English based club. I find the English in general love to see us do well when we qualify. They love the plucky underdog! :)
    Have a feeling I might be needing a tin hat mind...

It is this sort of condescending stuff that irritates me - the plucky underdog?, the luck of the Irish etc..

Regards shouting for England - I just couldn't. They are like the Dublin football team - all hype with no substance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Warper wrote: »
    It is this sort of condescending stuff that irritates me - the plucky underdog?, the luck of the Irish etc..

Regards shouting for England - I just couldn't. They are like the Dublin football team - all hype with no substance.
    Which Dublin football team is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I'm finding some of the comments on here hillarious. All the complaining about the media blowing it out of proportion, we have to listen to them etc... here is a tip: STOP CONSUMING BRITISH MEDIA!!!

Believe it or not they cater for their market place, not us. If you don't like it, buy an Irish paper, watch an Irish tv station and god forbid, watch some Irish football!!!

Of course the media hatred only works one way as its completely fine for the irish to have a 2hr special on RTE2 last year to mark the 20th anniversary of when we once beat England!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

gustavo wrote: »
    Presumably you think our boys are under-paid and over-performing :confused:

He's also beaten Croatia and Ukraine , They've won every game and look shoo-ins to qualify

You or I could get them qualified with those sort of players Capello has at his disposal;)

iregk wrote: »
    I'm finding some of the comments on here hillarious. All the complaining about the media blowing it out of proportion, we have to listen to them etc... here is a tip: STOP CONSUMING BRITISH MEDIA!!!

Believe it or not they cater for their market place, not us. If you don't like it, buy an Irish paper, watch an Irish tv station and god forbid, watch some Irish football!!!

Of course the media hatred only works one way as its completely fine for the irish to have a 2hr special on RTE2 last year to mark the 20th anniversary of when we once beat England!!!

We don't eat the british media.

Also, I think if you were to look back at threads on here at the time of that RTE program, you would find a high proportion of people saying it was pathetic, small time and something we would slag the English over if they did similar.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

For the same reason that I don't want Dublin to win the all Ireland, I don't want England to win the WC or EC.

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Love your small time attitude!

Tongue in cheek.

We don't eat the british media.

Who in the hell said anything about eating the british media?

I'm sorry but its impossible avoid them. We have 4 tv channels and rest are all British, half our newspapers are owned by them. I don't but them personally but to say that they're possible to ignore not true imo.

http://en.uefa.com/news/newsId=27844,printer.htmx

Some lovely supporters and media they have, don't they?

I'm not even giving out about wheeling out the '66 boys, don't mind that, the French will do it too with their '98 in future years. What I hate is the lousy attitude to their national team where they readily scapegoat a person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

lol

Who in the hell said anything about eating the british media?

play on words. Consuming.

• Advertisement

The people that point out that it's English media are spot-on.

Despite what we think, they are no more Jingoistic and partial than the sports media in a lot of other countries, including our own.

They have zero compunction about what Irish readers think, even though we effectively claim their football media and culture as somehow being our own.

That's why you get lots of people that are fluent in the argot and culture of English football culture, and adore all all Baddielsims/Soccer AMisms when it applies to their English club, but who hypocritically change tack when it's applied to the international team.

I'm sorry but its impossible avoid them. We have 4 tv channels and rest are all British, half our newspapers are owned by them. I don't but them personally but to say that they're possible to ignore not true imo.

Well to be totally honest I read the Times and the Wicklow People so don't really see any of the '66 crowd or the scape goating. Of course I hear about it by friends in the office and then go look it up to see what all the fuss is about. Don't read the rags, never have never will. I watch sky sports for football but turn it off as soon as they start talking.

Other channels on my sky digital package I'm sorry to say but discovery, eden, animal planet, gold, watch or sky movies don't really seem to mention the football all that much.

Its not impossible to ignore, its actually quite simple, the problem is most Irish look at the british media by default and then complain about it.

play on words. Consuming.

Ok, not sure what level your English is at but consuming has many meanings.

Eat
    To Destroy / use up
    To spend wastefully
    To absorb

Ok, not sure what level your English is at but consuming has many meanings.

Eat
    To Destroy / use up
    To spend wastefully
    To absorb

Yes, IT WAS A PLAY ON WORDS. You used it one way, I USED IT ANOTHER. Hence why i said, in my post, PLAY ON WORDS.

Though i'm not sure what level your reading and comprehension skills are at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

SectionF wrote: »
    Which Dublin football team is that?

Gaaaaaahh man Gaaah

• Advertisement

Though i'm not sure what level your reading and comprehension skills are at.

The only comprehension I have really is the connotation of a term. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Not sure if people realise this but the only reason that there's so much hype for England around these tournaments is because we get English TV. If we got Italian TV the only difference would be they wouldn't use Oasis when they got knocked out and I assume it's the same in other major countries who perenially have a chance.

Can understand why some Irish people want to see England fail but have never seen it as anything more than a pathetic part of small country syndrome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I don't mind how they do really. They're not my favourite side (Spain are) but they are a decent side to watch and they have some really good players.

The way the media go on is a bit annoying but I choose to watch those channels over Irish ones so I can't complain. However, I wouldn't be caught dead reading one of those ****ty tabloids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I'd hate to see them doing well. They're sour losers and they're worse when they're winning. Their media surely must be the worst in the world for going from one extreme to the other solely based on one good/bad result. The English international team is my pet hate and I apply the ABE rule religiously.

I remember watching England - Portugal a few years back (must have been Euro knockout stage, quarterfinals/semifinals I believe) in a hotel bar back in Germany. Few English business travelers around. They just couldn't believe how everyone in the place was shouting for Portugal solely based on the ABE thing. I think they felt genuinely hurt that evening and I pitied them 'cos I don't carry a grudge against England supporters. It's the 'official' England line that I don't like, if you know what I mean.

I hate the way they always go on about 'our' style of football and how we manage to get good results when our players are so much worse (paid less) then their's. But then in a weird kinda way it's some form of respect I suppose.

Down with England, up Germany, WC number 4 roll-on. We're due one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I dislike them mostly because of the Great Escape theme their fans insist on playing over and over again.

The problem with their media, and in particular their football pundits, is that they can be really condescending to teams that aren't one of the traditional big teams (Brazil, Italy, France etc.). Obviously I can't remember an example (I don't have that much of a chip on my soldier), but there tends to be a bit of "Ah, would you look at them, the little team competing in the big tournament that they're just going to lose anyway. Bless".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I find it strange with such a strong link between Irish football fans and English football. Just look at this forum, 90% is about English clubs, English players, and so on.

On the international game I follow Spain, for those reasons, they play fantastic football, and the strong link with Liverpool. There are more Liverpool players playing for Spain then England. So if it came down to a Spain vs England final I'd be behind Spain all the way. If it came down to ROI vs England final we all know who we'd be shouting for, and if it came down, for me, to England vs any other country in the world I'd base it on who's been playing the best form of football. That's why so many people supported Spain at Euro 2008.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    If it came down to ROI vs England final....

Hell will be a skating rink long before that happpens :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Eng-ger-land Eng-ger-land Eng-ger-land Eng-ger-land ENG-GER-LAND!

Yobs, love seeing them hit the self-destruct after the mass media hype. Beckham, badam badam, WAGS. God know's what they will throw up in South Africa 2010. They are there own worst enemy in fairness

Capello be warned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I'll never understand the contrast in feelings towards England as a whole, and any particular region in England, when it comes to sporting matters. Personally I feel the same about them both, like them in moderation, wouldn't be a preference to win a major competition, obviously Ireland is the preference, if I'd to pick another (and God knows I probably would have to) it'd probably be Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I suppose one thing that probably deserves a mention is that England fans in football have often been very racist and anti-Irish.

The whole 'no surrender to the IRA' thing, rampaging through Kilburn, etc. Add to that 'I'd rather be a Paki than a Turk' et al. That's not the players I mind, is the mass of racist cnuts.

As a team, if they play good football, I'll support them, if someone else plays better football (and that's usually the case) I'll support someone else.

• Advertisement
Advertisement