Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England in big tournaments

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I suppose one thing that probably deserves a mention is that England fans in football have often been very racist and anti-Irish.

English fans are nowhere near as racist to the Irish as opposed to the reverse. Take the plethora of Celtic shirts in certain areas of Dublin, I'd be amazed if most of those kids could name a first team, most of them just wear the shirt as a message saying **** England.

Anyway, alot of fans are absolute scum. Take the Italian stabbings, Spanish racism, English hoolaganism, in France Marseille had to bring a youth team to PSG and barred their fans because they feared the violence that would happen if they brought their first team, Argentina is famed for having the most violent and passionate derby in the world.

Those problems you mentioned aren't English, they're worldwide. They're used as an excuse to paint just the English fans in a bad light all the time though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Apart from supporting their own country, I think people form affialiations towards certain other teams. I have always held Argentina as one of my favourite international teams (to the detriment of my wallet) and would always support them.

The one team i consistently go against is Engerland.

When watching any sporting event I think it is part of human nature to favour someone - it adds more excitement to the event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Bubs101 wrote: »
    English fans are nowhere near as racist to the Irish as opposed to the reverse. Take the plethora of Celtic shirts in certain areas of Dublin, I'd be amazed if most of those kids could name a first team, most of them just wear the shirt as a message saying **** England.

Anyway, alot of fans are absolute scum. Take the Italian stabbings, Spanish racism, English hoolaganism, in France Marseille had to bring a youth team to PSG and barred their fans because they feared the violence that would happen if they brought their first team, Argentina is famed for having the most violent and passionate derby in the world.

Those problems you mentioned aren't English, they're worldwide. They're used as an excuse to paint just the English fans in a bad light all the time though

You have just managed to piss off Celtic fans and also people living in working-class areas of Dublin in one fell swoop. It may amaze you but a lot of people actually support Celtic. They are one of the biggest clubs in Europe, founded by Irish people and owned by Irish people. Yet Irish people who wear Celtic jerseys are idiotic bigots?
    Maybe they should be wearing Utd. or Liverpool tops instead.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

And you've missed my point...

I'm not talking about English fans being any worse than any others, I'm talking specifically about fans of the English football team having a history of anti-Irish rhetoric, not to mention being abusive of other races/nationalities.

That has nothing to do with the calibre of fans elsewhere, and their behaviour, it's merely a reason being offered as to why Irish fans feel a certain antipathy towards the English football side. I'm fully aware of the dangers of hooliganism, and also aware that;s a massive problem all over the world, but most countries fans don't dislike the Irish. (And I'm not saying that Irish fans are any better or any worse, it's just that I've never heard Italian fans chanting 'No surrender to the IRA' or causing trouble for Irish people living in areas of London near Wembley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Quoted for its undoubted truth. :rolleyes:
    (And I'm not saying that Irish fans are any better or any worse, it's just that I've never heard Italian fans chanting 'No surrender to the IRA' or causing trouble for Irish people living in areas of London near Wembley.

I see two were killed at a game in Argentina over the weekend.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/feedarticle/8570631

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

That has nothing to do with the calibre of fans elsewhere, and their behaviour, it's merely a reason being offered as to why Irish fans feel a certain antipathy towards the English football side. I'm fully aware of the dangers of hooliganism, and also aware that;s a massive problem all over the world, but most countries fans don't dislike the Irish. (And I'm not saying that Irish fans are any better or any worse, it's just that I've never heard Italian fans chanting 'No surrender to the IRA' or causing trouble for Irish people living in areas of London near Wembley.

Why would any other nation have a problem with Ireland? It's a new, small, neutral and unimportant nation. Both Ireland and England have legitimate reasons to hate each other but the English for the large part have gotten over it while the Irish haven't. For example, in the 94 World Cup everyone in England got behind Ireland but in 2006 it was the opposite here. It's just petty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

No, I usually love seeing them fall flat on their backside and the reason for that is their insufferable media. It happens as well with Wimbledon. I like tennis and I've nothing against Andy Murray whatsoever but I want him to be eliminated purely because the hype over the guy is just ridiculous at this point.

The same Andy Murray who is Scottish & was widely slated by the English media for wearing a Columbia football top the day they were playing England?:D

OT, many countries have a "friendly" rivalry with their neighbours. I doubt you'd see too many Frenchmen wishing Spain well, or Brazilians cheering on Argentina.
    But here we have Irish fans cheering on England because that's the football we see on the telly & we don't have the patience to support an Irish club for a few years while they build the resources to improve. Kinda sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

I've never heard Italian fans chanting 'No surrender to the IRA' or causing trouble for Irish people living in areas of London near Wembley.

In fairness, the IRA didn't do much bombing in Rome, Milan etc.

I don't think too many Italians are affected by housing estates near wembley either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Why would any other nation have a problem with Ireland? It's a new, small, neutral and unimportant nation. Both Ireland and England have legitimate reasons to hate each other but the English for the large part have gotten over it while the Irish haven't. For example, in the 94 World Cup everyone in England got behind Ireland but in 2006 it was the opposite here. It's just petty
    mike65 wrote: »
    Quoted for its undoubted truth. :rolleyes:

I see two were killed at a game in Argentina over the weekend.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/feedarticle/8570631
    big b wrote: »
    In fairness, the IRA didn't do much bombing in Rome, Milan etc.

I don't think too many Italians are affected by housing estates near wembley either.

Well the question was why Irish fans don't like the English football team.

The simple fact is, there's reasons for both to dislike each other, whether you agree with them or not, or whether I agree with them or not is immaterial. You'll never hear Italian fans moaning about the IRA, attacking Irish people because, well, why the fcuk would they?

I'd hardly deem it idiocy to point out the fact that many Irish fans resent the English fans for those reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I love to see England lose. Same with their club teams in europe.
    Hard to understand how irish people can be so anti-english when it comes to the national team, but when it's a english club team they'll support them, possibly more than the irish national team (remember that thread a while ago?)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I don't support an International team but like to see England do well, supporting an English club and that, also remember when I was around 18 and going to the pub to watch the matches on tv and when England were on the sight of people wearing man utd tops etc.. screaming dogs abuse at the screen and at players like Paul Ince etc... kind of made me want to see them do well. I think things have changed now, last time I was in the pub and England were playing, people were actually cheering them on.

Re the media and hype, it is really no different to when Ireland play, if Ireland hopefully qualify the media here will go into overdrive, just think back to 1990 and 1994, Christ we even had the :o of the team getting a parade in 1994, remember Big Jack not being too impressed at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I like so see England lose

Countries all over the world have rivalries and while these are usually more strongly felt in the "smaller" country I don't see how this is small minded.
    People suggest that we should follow them when we dont qualify as they are our neighbours should man city fans follow man utd in the CL why they odnt qualify?

I used to support other Irish teams in Europe till I realised how pointless it was.

Its great fun seeing England lose at a major tournament if we were next to Italy we would probably feel the same way about them.
    Nothing wrong with a bit of Schadenfreude now and again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Like to see England do well.

Couldn't give too hoots what they do once the Liverpool players don't get injured.

I wouldn't be a fan of international football tbh.

Roll on 2009-2010 premiership season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I love international footie
    you cant beat the atmosphere of a big tournament

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

I suppose one thing that probably deserves a mention is that England fans in football have often been very racist and anti-Irish.

The whole 'no surrender to the IRA' thing,

I think you will find that the majority of Irish people agree with the sentiment 'no surrender to the IRA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The whole 'no surrender to the IRA' thing, rampaging through Kilburn, etc. Add to that 'I'd rather be a Paki than a Turk' et al. That's not the players I mind, is the mass of racist cnuts.

As a team, if they play good football, I'll support them, if someone else plays better football (and that's usually the case) I'll support someone else.

rampaging through kilburn? 30 years ago maybe.

I hopped onto the Trinidad and Tobago supporters site before the last world cup to get some ideas on their perception of the world cup. a lot of them were concerned about travelling because of the England fans and were convinced they were going to get a kicking by a bunch of skinheads at the T&T v England game. This was countered by a lot of Trinis from London who told them not to worry and that racism in english football was a thing of the past.

As it turned out, a lot of them knocked about with the England fans at the world cup, partly because of the common language and partly because they felt safer with the England fans than they did with any of the other large fan groups out there, particularly the Italians, Poles and Germans.

They all wanted to kill crouch afterwards though:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Every country has a bad element. Sure every club does too.
    I like the country and the people, but it's just a historic thing that makes me want to see them lose at football (no other sport!), but that also includes thie club teams. Maybe it's the media (which extends to their club teams), obviously we're oblivious to our own media talking about Ireland. I mean we give out about the English talking about 1966, beating their biggest rivals in THE FINAL of the world cup just over 20 years after WW2, but nothing wrong about singing songs about Stuttgart 1988, a fecken group game in the Euros!

Advertisement