Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scottish Independence

Options

Comments

Nonsensical point that has little to do with the topic at hand.

Your own post there hasn't exactly advanced the debate a whole pile.

My point was slightly tongue in cheek, it wouldn't be the biggest issue in Scottish independance of course. But you know that whole Celthic mock Oirish routine (and the similar one by Rangers wrapping themselves in the British Empire stuff), making millions flogging teehsirts on the back of famines and misery and civil wars that have little to do with the average Glaswegian, well I'd like to see the end of Scottish clubs raking it in on symbols of my national identity and let them concentrate on their own identity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

scottish independence debate

not a soccer fan debate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

To put it bluntly, can anyone see it happening?
    No. Many Scots are of English descent and even more don't care. Many of them like being part of the UK. Whether they keep the 'UK' going long term doesn't bother me as long as Ireland isn't part of it. If the Scots want to be part of the UK, let them at it. Where Irish people often make a mistake concerning Scotland is confusing religious bigotry with political ideology. Their is no real Scottish 'republican' movement - ie in that they want an independent republic of Scotland. More often than not they are really just interested in devolution, not a disolution of the union with England

scottish nationalist party ^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Didn't they already have their chance and turned it down? Or was I imagining that whole thing a couple of years back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

First of all if the people want it they should have it. It would obviously be better for the people of Scotland that their government would have real power on economy, taxation, benefits, immigration, international affairs, etc. Instead of going along with what Westminster tells them they're doing. The economic situation is obviously something that has to be looked at. But I think it's a very negative outlook to think that the people of Scotland can't help to grow their own economy and to bring in business and investment over time. I don't know if those stories about oil resources are true. I watched something about only half the oil resources in th enorth sea have been used and with more opportunities for further drilling. I think it would be a positive move for Scotland and would give them a proper place in international affairs instead beiing marginalized the way they are now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

scottish nationalist party ^

No. The SNP advocated independence but with the monarchy. That poster correctly pointed out there are no outright republican groups, only small numbers within the SNP.

okay my bad

it doesnt have to be republican it is about independence

--
    has anyone any links to where the snp stated they are pro monarchy

okay my bad

it doesnt have to be republican it is about independence

--
    has anyone any links to where the snp stated they are pro monarchy
    Well, if it isn't a republic who will be their head of state? Elizabeth Windsor? Not really independence if you have a foreign monarch as your head of state

IIMII wrote: »
    Well, if it isn't a republic who will be their head of state? Elizabeth Windsor? Not really independence if you have a foreign monarch as your head of state

How will it be a foreign Monarch? The monarchy was formed by a family (personal) Union of the original Heads of England and Scotland respectively. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_of_the_Crowns. James the sixth of Scotland was James the first of England.

conchubar1: SNP wikipedia article asfaik.

• Advertisement

turgon wrote: »
    How will it be a foreign Monarch?
    Is she Scottish?

canada?

australia?

canada?

australia?
    Ireland?

How will it be a foreign Monarch? The monarchy was formed by a family (personal) Union of the original Heads of England and Scotland respectively. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_of_the_Crowns. James the sixth of Scotland was James the first of England.

conchubar1: SNP wikipedia article asfaik.

yes, as the welsh as believed the tudors(?) were the welsh mabagon(?) - doesnt mean it is an all encompasing and fair monarchy

it was the union of crowns, how many have been scottish since?

thanks

Ireland?

our head of state is mary mcaleese or cowen?

canadas head of state is the british monarch? no?

they are independent?

Are you saying Mary McAleese shouldnt be president of Ireland, on account of her being born in the UK?

it was the union of crowns, how many have been scottish since?
    Let's see, we are talking 400 years.... Hmmm...

Are you saying Mary McAleese shouldnt be president of Ireland
    Isn't she Irish?

Let's see, we are talking 400 years.... Hmmm...

406 ish actualy

i fail to see your point

her being born in the uk is a mute point - but im a nationalist so... ignore that

• Advertisement

406 ish actualy

i fail to see your point
    You are talking about a bunch of 400 year old bones that used to belong to a Scot nearly half a millenium ago. Hardly grounds for his foreign decendents to rule a country by birthright he doesn't live in, in this day and age

her being born in the uk is a mute point - but im a nationalist so... ignore that
    President of Ireland - she's Irish.

oh i agree she is irish - as all born in the north are.....

400 years - where history was well established

all or most of those monarchs have vast biographies, and their birth place and outlook is well known

All this proves is how ridiculous monarchy is.

wholly agree

talking of saving money - abolish it........

But the womb you spring from shouldn't qualify you for anything. But hey, some wombs are bluer than others

i am against monarchy

but - it is and was there. so i am making points on the reality not on how i feel it should be abolished or never been in effect

To be honest I couldn't care less whether they have a monarchy or not. I do think without the imperial hangover that is the monarchy that helps keep them in north, we might be able to resolve the issue there much quicker. If you haven't got a monarchy, you don't have loyalism. Let's hope the British become a fully democratic society some day

exactly being born doesnt grant you vast sums of money, land and the elevated posistion of royal celebrity status

it should never have been around and in 2009 - is embarrassing even though it doesnt effect ireland directly (it does indirectly with northern ireland)

• Advertisement

scottish independence debate

not a soccer fan debate

scottish independance debate

not a monarchy fan (or objector) debate...:P

Advertisement