Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spiked drinks in Nightclub

Options
  • 24-06-2009 2:03am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭

Here's one for parents (and "children") to watch out for.

My daughter and her friend apparently had their drinks spiked last Saturday night in a late night establishment in Trim.
    She doesn't drink huge amount in the premises (does it all beforehand) but one minute she was sober and the next ... elephants.
    They were both bought shots by a stranger at the bar (which they shouldn't have taken) and the next thing they were out of it.

Luckily they had friends to look after them, but apparently they were being watched closely by a strange older man (possibly a foreigner).

Now I know my daughter fairly well, and she does tell it like it is. She doesn't remember very much about the whole incident but managed to piece it together the next day after talknig to people she'd met the night before.

Moral of the story?....................Be careful out there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Most "spiking" is alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Here's one for parents (and "children") to watch out for.

My daughter and her friend apparently had their drinks spiked last Saturday night in a late night establishment in Trim.
    She doesn't drink huge amount in the premises (does it all beforehand) but one minute she was sober and the next ... elephants.
    They were both bought shots by a stranger at the bar (which they shouldn't have taken) and the next thing they were out of it.

Luckily they had friends to look after them, but apparently they were being watched closely by a strange older man (possibly a foreigner).

Now I know my daughter fairly well, and she does tell it like it is. She doesn't remember very much about the whole incident but managed to piece it together the next day after talknig to people she'd met the night before.

Moral of the story?....................Be careful out there.

Ha ha thats gas,

Spiked, old man, foreigner .if you were a newspaper you would be the sun.

Your daughter got rat arsed drunk, its what happens when you drink mad stuff, one minute your sober-ish, next your on the floor Kod for the nite.

Spiked? your mad , there isnt enough liquid in a shot to conceal a drug.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

kona wrote: »
    Spiked? your mad , there isnt enough liquid in a shot to conceal a drug.

Hmmm.....you're obviously familiar with things of this nature?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭YraggarY

That's awful! I'm so enraged that this can and does happen in today's society! I know its got nothing to do with the North East region but it happened to a friend of mine in a Dublin nightclub as well. She was given a drink of vodka and blackcurrant, took a sip, realised she shouldn't have and pretended to drink the rest whilst pouring it out. She felt somewhat light-headed, and had her friends there to look after her. Both they and she noticed that she was being watched by the two men who approached her with the drink.
    Approximately 83,000 pills of flunitrazepam were recently stolen from a pharmaceutical company in Dublin. Flunitrazepam is commonly marketed under the product name Rohypnol. The story is http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0512/drugs.html there.

I can only second pullandbang's advice; be careful out there. Don't accept drinks from strange people, or indeed, acquaintances. Stay safe.

Apologies to the mods for the off-forum nature of the post, but I felt compelled to add another warning here..

- Gary

Hmmm.....you're obviously familiar with things of this nature?

Yes a bit of rohyphnol in a young wans bacardi breezer, and happy days, shell be rocking my stick all night long:rolleyes:

Cop on. I have common sense and amnt sensationalist.Coming from somebody who is probably in your daughters generation, I know what goes on in clubs, your daughter is no angel, she drank too much and passed out. It happens.
    If you are only used to drinking beer and light drinks such as alco pops. If you pop back a few shots your going to hit the floor...fast.

why would a old guy bother using a "date rape drug"?? judging by the state of most girls at 2am, its quite easy to find a girl who is gonzo on her own doing.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Yes a bit of rohyphnol in a young wans bacardi breezer, and happy days, shell be rocking my stick all night long:rolleyes:

If that's what you need to get a shag well and good.
    Cop on. I have common sense and amnt sensationalist.Coming from somebody who is probably in your daughters generation, I know what goes on in clubs, your daughter is no angel, she drank too much and passed out. It happens.

I know she's no angel, but I also know her. She doesn't hide anything from us (her parents) and when she says something odd happened, then you can be sure something odd happened.
    If you are only used to drinking beer and light drinks such as alco pops. If you pop back a few shots your going to hit the floor...fast.
    why would a old guy bother using a "date rape drug"?? judging by the state of most girls at 2am, its quite easy to find a girl who is gonzo on her own doing.

Don't try categorise me - you don't know me. I've probably spilled more drink than you've drunk in your lifetime (if you're the same era as my daughter). This post is to warn people out there that there are scum who will try anything to take advantage of young girls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I got spiked once. Copped on straight away and didnt drink anymore.

If that's what you need to get a shag well and good..
    Well, yes i do need a woman to get a shag, its kinda how it works:rolleyes:.(you sure your a mother?:P)

I know she's no angel, but I also know her. She doesn't hide anything from us (her parents) and when she says something odd happened, then you can be sure something odd happened. .
    Ha shes embarrased to tell you and her friends that shes a "lightweight" and got seriously ****ed up.
    Your very naieve if you think your daughter tells you everything. She tell you what goes on in clubs? and you still dont mind her going?!

Don't try categorise me - you don't know me. I've probably spilled more drink than you've drunk in your lifetime (if you're the same era as my daughter). This post is to warn people out there that there are scum who will try anything to take advantage of young girls.

Where did I categorise you? Have you been spiked tonite? some dodgey barrys tea?Well categorise you now, I took into account where your from and now ive a idea of you. You probably have spilled more drink than ive drank, but thats pretty dumb, not to mention a waste. I prefer to put my drink into my gob.

Yes people take advantage of young girls, but most people dont. Shes a big girl now, if shes big enough to get ****faced, shes big enough to know the consequences.

so basically the real story as I believe it to be is: Girls drinks loads before the club. Girl drinks too much in club. Guys are looking at girls as they are wearing sweet feck all. girl ko's. guys are looking at girls.

Yup sounds like a pretty standard nite in any bar/pub/club in ireland.

YraggarY wrote: »
    That's awful! I'm so enraged that this can and does happen in today's society! I know its got nothing to do with the North East region but it happened to a friend of mine in a Dublin nightclub as well. She was given a drink of vodka and blackcurrant, took a sip, realised she shouldn't have and pretended to drink the rest whilst pouring it out. She felt somewhat light-headed, and had her friends there to look after her. Both they and she noticed that she was being watched by the two men who approached her with the drink.
    Approximately 83,000 pills of flunitrazepam were recently stolen from a pharmaceutical company in Dublin. Flunitrazepam is commonly marketed under the product name Rohypnol. The story is http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0512/drugs.html there.

I can only second pullandbang's advice; be careful out there. Don't accept drinks from strange people, or indeed, acquaintances. Stay safe.

Apologies to the mods for the off-forum nature of the post, but I felt compelled to add another warning here..

- Gary

Sensational! all those drugs just waiting to enter young girls.:rolleyes:

They were robbed because heroin shooters use them to come down better thats what they are used for on the street.

There are easier more succesful ways of rape. The traditional snatch(excuse the pun) and grab seems to be ever popular.

Girls dont get spiked, they get locked, and then they get paranoid, then for the attention they shout oh i got spiked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

OP, you mention drinking at home and then at the club, could it just be a case of the alcohol from home 'kicking in' and the club drinks cutting the evening short?

Don't blame the beady eyed, lurking in the shadows, elderly, possibly swan eating, foreigners. Blame the drink.. and the drinking habits.. and the 'let's get totally ****ing blasted' drinking culture\attitude.

• Advertisement

jaysus lads. How do ye know she didnt get spiked. It does happen. Obviously loads of people get langered aswell but that dont mean everyone does.

seanybiker wrote: »
    jaysus lads. How do ye know she didnt get spiked. It does happen. Obviously loads of people get langered aswell but that dont mean everyone does.

because she didnt get raped.

because she didnt get raped.
    I got spiked a few years ago and didnt get raped. No im not a lightweight who didnt want to admit getting in bits. I get in a great state a few nights a week and tis great

If you were a sick ugly ****ing dog and decided to get some action and little bit of rape was watcha needed.

If you spend the money on the drug, id imagine you wouldnt jut plonk it in a random drink and wait.

Id imagine a plan would be in place:

1. Get target away from friends.

2.gain her drunken trust.

3.offer to buy her a drink.

4.spike said drink.

5.make sure you leave before her friends notice the state of her.

Just a loose plan o what id imagine happens. No clown is just gunna randomly spike drinks. And shots! sure they are poured in front of you:pac: youd wanna be pretty dumb not to see powder being sprinkled on you drink.

seanybiker wrote: »
    I got spiked a few years ago and didnt get raped. No im not a lightweight who didnt want to admit getting in bits. I get in a great state a few nights a week and tis great

Ive had nights we im smashed after way less than i usually drink. Dont know why but it happens. And I know I wasnt spiked because im a cheapskate and have the aul crouching tiger hidden naggin for the club:pac::D

Rohypnol has been modified recently (last 3 or 4 years), to either colour a liquid, in the presence of alcohol, or have a colour itself, not sure which.

I'm going to be vague here.. but even mixed with alcohol, Rohypnol doesn't have half the magical properties portrayed in the popular\tabloid press.

Sensational! all those drugs just waiting to enter young girls.:rolleyes:

They were robbed because heroin shooters use them to come down better thats what they are used for on the street.

There are easier more succesful ways of rape. The traditional snatch(excuse the pun) and grab seems to be ever popular.

Girls dont get spiked, they get locked, and then they get paranoid, then for the attention they shout oh i got spiked.

Kona, I don't mean to sound rude, and whilst I agree that the usage of these drugs is not necessarily going to be completely for the purposes I mentioned in my post, at least SOME of those 83,000 pills will find their way into the clubs and college parties. I'm 21, I frequent those clubs and college parties, I know what kinds of people I can see there, and I know that a disturbing percentage of those people would drug a girl for the purposes of having sex with her. Its happened to my friends at parties, and whilst I also must agree that some girls DO get locked, there are an unfortunate few who do not.

When a girl's drink gets spiked and she's out with her friends, her friends usually notice. The girl becomes suddenly drowsy, incoherent, unable to walk, amongst other things.. Yes, these all happen when drinking, but the rate at which all this occurs is usually a clear indication that she has ingested some form of sleep inducing drug, such as Rohypnol.

- Gary

Gary, but there's also the modern habit of women.. drinking like lads. if you're a certain body mass and height, beer and spirits will catch up to you fast.

Amalgam wrote: »
    Rohypnol has been modified recently (last 3 or 4 years), to either colour a liquid, in the presence of alcohol, or have a colour itself, not sure which.

I'm going to be vague here.. but even mixed with alcohol, Rohypnol doesn't have half the magical properties portrayed in the popular\tabloid press.

Amalgam, Rohypnol is certainly visible after a period of time when its been mixed with alcohol. However, if you're drinking a vodka and coke, or a spirit mixed with blackcurrant, or indeed any dark drink, it won't change colour. The same goes for beers etc. in dark glass bottles - Heineken, Budweiser and the like.

I'll agree its not quite as "efficient" as its made out to be by the press, but it still presents a real danger.

- Gary

When a girl's drink gets spiked and she's out with her friends, her friends usually notice. The girl becomes suddenly drowsy, incoherent, unable to walk, amongst other things.. Yes, these all happen when drinking, but the rate at which all this occurs is usually a clear indication that she has ingested some form of sleep inducing drug, such as Rohypnol.

- Gary

that happened to me the first time i drank absinthe, the ejit that I am thought it wouldnt be too bad, I drank a good 200ml of it ontop of whiskey and beer. Indeed it was easier to knock back than whiskey.

10 mins later I went from having a conversation and walking. to ko. wlaking to ko and asleep for the nite came in 2 mins max, I cant remember the rest of the night, only upto where i kod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Jafin

Dont bite my head off with this or anything, and im not agreeing 100% with Kona, but Im a 20 year old fella and I know what shots can do to you. Was at a party a couple of weeks ago, had 5 or 6 beers, was completely grand, then had one or 2 shots and cant remember much after that. That being said, I am a self-confessed lightweight and I had not been drinking before I left the house.

But your daughter had been drinking beforehand, and from the girls my age that I know, drinking at the house beforehand usually consists of a full bottle of wine and/or a naggan/shoulder of vodka or malibu. I've seen plenty girls at the club, completely legless at half 12 or 1 in the morning, not having a clue whats going on, but that doesnt mean they had their drinks spiked.

There's always going to be a few creepy men around (and even women) looking at a group of young ones, thats just what you get, it doesnt mean they're targeting you with drugs.

Just said Id put in my thoughts on the matter.

Amalgam wrote: »
    Gary, but there's also the modern habit of women.. drinking like lads. if you're a certain body mass and height, beer and spirits will catch up to you fast.

I concur, but if you ever find yourself in the situation where one of your friend's drinks has been spiked, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. The speed at which this all happens is unbelievable.

- Gary

that happened to me the first time i drank absinthe, the ejit that I am thought it wouldnt be too bad, I drank a good 200ml of it ontop of whiskey and beer. Indeed it was easier to knock back than whiskey.

10 mins later I went from having a conversation and walking. to ko. I cant remember the rest of the night, only upto where i kod.

Real absinthe can do that to you, but keep in mind that these girls weren't drinking absinthe. They were drinking (in my friend's case at least), the same thing they drink every weekend. Ergo, logic would dictate that with all other circumstances being the same or similar, another force must have come into play to produce the end result.

- Gary

Real absinthe can do that to you, but keep in mind that these girls weren't drinking absinthe. They were drinking (in my friend's case at least), the same thing they drink every weekend. Ergo, logic would dictate that with all other circumstances being the same or similar, another force must have come into play to produce the end result.

- Gary

Considering I at the time was able drink straight whiskey from the bottle, and quite alot of it. Id imagine proportionally, to a lightweight woman, the absinthe may potntially equal a naggin of vodka.

sure some people do get drugged, but the chances are so slim.

I find the OP funny, I mean how the **** can you spike a dink thats poured in front of you. The fact that there was a old man, who *may* have been foreign copperfastend the theory that she was spiked. A theory formed by a bunch of drunken teenagers. Its aload of ****e.

I believe if she was spiked, shed have been talking to the guy who did it, as hed have to get close enough to be able to be trusted.

Considering I at the time was able drink straight whiskey from the bottle, and quite alot of it. Id imagine proportionally, to a lightweight woman, the absinthe may potntially equal a naggin of vodka.

sure some people do get drugged, but the chances are so slim.

I find the OP funny, I mean how the **** can you spike a dink thats poured in front of you. The fact that there was a old man, who *may* have been foreign copperfastend the theory that she was spiked. A theory formed by a bunch of drunken teenagers. Its aload of ****e.

I believe if she was spiked, shed have been talking to the guy who did it, as hed have to get close enough to be able to be trusted.

Absinthe is between 45% - 74% Alcohol by Volume. Vodka, on the other hand, is between 35% - 50% Alcohol by Volume. Standard Jameson whiskey, for example, is 40% Alcohol by Volume. The difference in those concentrations between absinthe and the others is enormous, hence making your point about drinking absinthe for the first time and comparing its effects to the regular drinking habits of a young woman null and void. While its true that ones size and stature impacts greatly on ones ability to consume "X" amount of alcohol, whether you can drink whiskey straight or not has nothing to do with the effects that absinthe will have on you, due to the various ingredients that absinthe is made from, and also its alcohol content.
    But I digress..

Its surprisingly easy to intercept a drink. If its an open-ended highball glass, all you have to do is walk by and pass your hand over the top of the glass. You think anyone's going to notice that in a busy club where alcohol has already been consumed by the girl in question? Same with a bottle; unless you keep your thumb or finger over the top the entire night except when drinking, all you have to do is pop your finger over the rim of the bottle and in it falls. This man could have simply walked past the OP's daughter, or she may have left the drink down for a second, or any other number of things may have occurred to bring to fruition the situation that she found herself in.

Would the OP's post have sounded less sensationalist if the man had been positively Irish, rather than possibly foreign? "Old" could mean mid-30's to the OP's daughter's age group. All in all, when my points are considered, it seems to be a very viable situation indeed, does it not?

- Gary

Just while we're on the subject of Absinthe, I had one shot of it when I was about 16/17, and I was a bit tipsy after it. I had nothin else to drink that day at all, and it wasnt even the pire stuff, it was from the canaries or something and was yellow if memory serves.... just sayin.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is more in Absinthe than just alcohol.

While its true that ones size and stature impacts greatly on ones ability to consume "X" amount of alcohol, whether you can drink whiskey straight or not has nothing to do with the effects that absinthe will have on you, due to the various ingredients that absinthe is made from, and also its alcohol content.

- Gary

Indeed.

Indeed.

......did you just agree with your own statement?

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    There is more in Absinthe than just alcohol.

It actually a halluciganetic(yes i cant spell) isnt it? I know if you boil it, its great craic altogether.

Youd probably be seeing old foreign guys riding elephants over the alps towards you:P

Advertisement