Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what license for a transit recovery?

• 24-06-2009 2:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi,
    Dont know if thi is the right category to put this question in but anyway, just wondering does anyone know if a regular b license covers you to drive a transit recovery "truck"? At the end of the day its not actualy a tuck, its just a transit van with the back cut down, also the conditions of the b license are that its a vehicile that holds less than 8 people and weighs under 3,500 kg, both of which are true for this. So would the b cover it or would you need a c? Any help apreciated, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭bop1977

id say you might need an EB or an EC licence. the E is for towing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

You need to check the Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW). If it's under 3500KG then you can drive it on a B licence.

I'd say the vehicle itself will probably weigh close to 2000kg unladen. Stick one heavy car on the back and it's over 4000KG.

I think the smaller recovery trucks (probably like the Transit) would be up to 7500kg so a C1 licence will cover those, but you have to be careful you don't overload them. Bigger trucks (MAN, Mercedes) will be in to "C" category licence territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 johnjoesim

Would you have to include how much it would weigh if there was something on it or would it just go on what it would weigh with nothing on it?

johnjoesim wrote: »
    Would you have to include how much it would weigh if there was something on it or would it just go on what it would weigh with nothing on it?

Gross Vehicle Weight is the maximum the vehicle can weigh when loaded up. If you are talking about a recovery truck, you have to take in to account the weight of everything that it may be carrying.

It's highly unlikely you'll get a recovery truck with a GVW under 3.5Ton so you wouldn't be able to (legally) drive it on a B licence.

Double check your licence, I know some of the older folk in the office gained C1 when they passed their B test. I have C1 on my UK licence from passing my B test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭beam99

A B licence will cover you for a transit recovery vehicle, I have asked many tow truck drivers, inc the aa that question , the transit is only designed to carry cars, it will not carry another transit on it, you could possible carry a transit connect on it, as long as its empty. Some of the transit tow trucks have a double rear wheel on them.

• Advertisement

beam99 wrote: »
    A B licence will cover you for a transit recovery vehicle, I have asked many tow truck drivers, inc the aa that question , the transit is only designed to carry cars, it will not carry another transit on it, you could possible carry a transit connect on it, as long as its empty. Some of the transit tow trucks have a double rear wheel on them.

The lightest Transit Chassis Cab has a kerb weight of 1680kg. Flat bed and hydraulics say 300kg (probably conservative estimate). Kerb weight of a Merc E200 is 1580kg so with one of those up you are overloaded.

If any of these vehicles are 3.5Ton, you would have to be very choosy with what you collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 johnjoesim

You'd probably get away with it though would you? Might be a bit of a grey area when its only a transit recovery and not a fully fledged recovery truck ;)

You'd probably get away with it though would you? Might be a bit of a grey area when its only a transit recovery and not a fully fledged recovery truck ;)

You'd probably get away with it unless something happened. I not sure, but I reckon overloading will invalidate your insurance and I wouldn't like to have to fork out to replace the truck and what I was carrying ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

nothing grey about it either the Transit and car its carrying weighs less than 3500kg or it doesn't ..... where's the grey area???????

Advertisement