Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiMax Rollout

Options
  • 24-06-2009 8:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone have any more info or have any links about the WiMax rollout?
    Read an article in the SBP about Intel and Imagine working on a WiMax project which would be rolled out in a few months.
    Can't find much info on it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Irishbroadband and a few more have Wimax gear up n running for a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭weiss

i probably just read the same articles you got, RoadKillTs

intel along with imagine will roll out wimax from next month, but i'd say it will only be dublin/kildare initially that has access. ( hope i'm wrong :) )

intel already provide wimax service to schools near its leixlip plant in kildare.

i hope it gets off the ground nationally.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

bushy... wrote: »

You sure? I know they have FWA but wimax from irish broadband im not too sure of.

If they are... great!!! It does look promising but im sure it will be a few years yet before the normal joe soap sees it as the cost of equipment alone never mind the licensed frequencies are still prohibitive per base station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Thread bout it here on IrelandOffline and another here from the Broadband forum. Its not all it promises to be

• Registered Users Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

bushy... wrote: »

http://www.irishbroadband.ie/documents/Irish%20Broadband%20launches%20major%20national%20WIMAX%20rollout.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

kerbdog wrote: »

But as far as i know its still on the unlicensed freq...not the de facto standard of 3.5...unless im wrong but this is just glorified Wifi!!!

Still good dont get me wrong but NOT true WIMAX....

But as far as i know its still on the unlicensed freq...not the de facto standard of 3.5...unless im wrong but this is just glorified Wifi!!!

Still good dont get me wrong but NOT true WIMAX....

Yip , they have it for years ( 3.5 just for you :) )

Why does it matter what frequency its on anyway ? some lower ones might be better ?( as long as its a licenced freq. so its not getting hammered by every video sender n baby monitor )

Anyway wireless for that kind of use is muck anyway compared to fibre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

In a rural area fibre is far too expensive. Decent wireless speeds would be more than adequate. If the government wasn't taxing the band width so highly by charging stupid prices for licences, which has to be recovered, along with the financing costs, by high charges on the users the residents of rural areas could avail of broadband at a reasonable cost.

FSL wrote: »
    Decent wireless speeds would be more than adequate.

It'd be grand if you could get it .

Advertisement