Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Renault laguna

• 24-06-2009 8:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭

Quick question for all here. I'm looking at upgrading my car in the coming months, scraping the money together at the mo. I'm looking for a saloon/hatch, comfortable, reliable, bit of poke. I tend to service my car myself.
    So been looking at cars, and lagunas can be got top of the range, low mileage, and dirt cheap. Now I know alot of ppl here have a dislike for these cars due to reliability, but in what sense? run a mile? fix yourself? or what are the feelings/experiences. Looking at the 03/04 models, petrol or diesel.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Mechanically they are quite good to be honest. Its the possibility of electrical gremlins (and their cost diagnosing and fixing) and the lack of resale value (even though its cheap in the first place NO ONE will want it afterwards).

If you must, they say the facelift models from 05 on are better. If it was me I'd be looking at a Mondeo for very similar money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭budhabob

EPM wrote: »
    Mechanically they are quite good to be honest. Its the possibility of electrical gremlins (and their cost diagnosing and fixing) and the lack of resale value (even though its cheap in the first place NO ONE will want it afterwards).

If you must, they say the facelift models from 05 on are better. If it was me I'd be looking at a Mondeo for very similar money

Ya, i have a 97 mondeo, which has served me very well (shame the they make them so hard to work on them yourself :) ). Its just for say 4grand, you can get leather interior, etc etc in a laguna, as opposed a standard mondy. Still looking tho, and the extra few months before i buy may push prices down even more.

These electrical issues you mention, any idea on what scale they are?

budhabob wrote: »
    These electrical issues you mention, any idea on what scale they are?

A bloody big one by all accounts.

Saying that there are cars that have given no trouble at all over big mileages too...I just wouldn't though. €4k would buy a lot better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=331

I've had a '01 Laguna for 5 years now, I've been lucky with the electronics, in that time the LCD backlight on the AC display failed (simple soldering repair) and the dash clocks died last year as well (picked up a new set in a breakers). If you're only looking to spend 4 grand, you'll not care about resale value, and you can get a highly equipped car for very low money. Insist on a warranty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

budhabob wrote: »
    Quick question for all here. I'm looking at upgrading my car in the coming months, scraping the money together at the mo. I'm looking for a saloon/hatch, comfortable, reliable, bit of poke. I tend to service my car myself.
    So been looking at cars, and lagunas can be got top of the range, low mileage, and dirt cheap. Now I know alot of ppl here have a dislike for these cars due to reliability, but in what sense? run a mile? fix yourself? or what are the feelings/experiences. Looking at the 03/04 models, petrol or diesel.

I actually like the laguna, think it looks good, comfy to drive, not too bad on the juice....
    but I will say I would be very reluctant to buy one.....very....
    they are notoriously unreliable.... used to have a good few of them in fleet and feck me they caused a lot of issues with downtime...
    but if you get a good one, they are nice cars, something different

• Advertisement

cheers for all the advice, as was suggested, i dont care about resale value, i'll drive it til it drops, my current mondeo is hitting 180k soon and things are gonna start costing me too much money so think its time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

I have an 02 Laguna... got it for a song or therabouts. No problems so far. A bit slow, but a comfy ****er and I fit quite happily in the driver's seat... which is more than I'd say for a supermini I'dve got for the same price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭BrianD3

With the recession you might well get a facelift 05 model petrol for 4 grand.

In general the 1.6 petrol Laguna seems to be more reliable than the 1.9 diesels however the 130 bhp* diesel has obviously significantly better poke than the 110/115 bhp 1.6.

I have a 1.6 petrol and it is easy and cheap to do basic servicing. However timing belt changes are expensive as it is pretty much essential to do the full timing belt kit and water pump and it is not a job that most DIY'ers will be confident doing. The parts alone cost over 300 quid if bought from a main dealer.

*not all diesels are 130, some are 105 and some are 120.

BrianD3 wrote: »
    With the recession you might well get a facelift 05 model petrol for 4 grand.

In general the 1.6 petrol Laguna seems to be more reliable than the 1.9 diesels however the 130 bhp diesel has obviously significantly better poke than the 110/115 bhp 1.6.

I have a 1.6 petrol and it is easy and cheap to do basic servicing. However timing belt changes are expensive as it is pretty much essential to do the full timing belt kit and water pump and it is not a job that most DIY'ers will be confident doing. The parts alone cost over 300 quid if bought from a main dealer.

ya, the girlfriend has a megane coupe, and its a piece of pee to work on (except i can never get the plastic cover back on properly :D). but i'd emagine the laguna something along the same lines. As for timing belt, too much hassle to do it myself to be honest, wouldnt enough time, or skill for that matter. thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Here is the BIG problem.

I had a laguna. 04 with all the extras.

Nobody wants them and the ones that do know to screw you over on price because they know nobody wants it.

Far too hard to sell so IMHO too much hard work when you want to shift it on.

• Advertisement

Berty wrote: »
    Here is the BIG problem.

I had a laguna. 04 with all the extras.

Nobody wants them and the ones that do know to screw you over on price because they know nobody wants it.

Far too hard to sell so IMHO too much hard work when you want to shift it on.

Thats the thing, thats not really an issue for me. I'm going to spend relatively small money on it, and dont expect to get anything back from it, just a few years drving outta it. Thats all i expect. At present, i dont see the need in spending alot, so i just want as much bang for my buck as is possible, and in a couple of years time, i'll probably do something very similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Okay then the problems my Laguna had.

They come with tyre sensors which broke my heart. Everytime you get a new tyre you have to get them recalibrated in the dealerships so eventually I just switched them off which also broke my heart.

The radio has an aerial built into the rear window which was very tempermental for reception and short of replacing the rear window €1300+ I couldnt get it fixed.

The car hated NKG plugs absolutely despised them and would only work with the cheap sh*te from the dealerships.

I had the car 10 months in 2006 and had 5 recalls needed on it.

Make sure the recalls are done when you buy it and just pray the many many electrics are in working order.

Windows tend to go a lot actually even in my fathers megane. Always the rear passenger side window. Ask any Renault owner. WTF?

Berty wrote: »
    Okay then the problems my Laguna had.

They come with tyre sensors which broke my heart. Everytime you get a new tyre you have to get them recalibrated in the dealerships so eventually I just switched them off which also broke my heart.

The radio has an aerial built into the rear window which was very tempermental for reception and short of replacing the rear window €1300+ I couldnt get it fixed.

The car hated NKG plugs absolutely despised them and would only work with the cheap sh*te from the dealerships.

I had the car 10 months in 2006 and had 5 recalls needed on it.

Make sure the recalls are done when you buy it and just pray the many many electrics are in working order.

Windows tend to go a lot actually even in my fathers megane. Always the rear passenger side window. Ask any Renault owner. WTF?

Right, so what you're saying is there is a fair few problems.....:D Alot to think about so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The main things to check for on pre facelift petrol cars (post facelift will have ironed out many of these)

-if the car has climate control the backlighting on the display may be blown so you won't be able to read the display at night. As already mentioned, a bit of soldering usually fixes it but you need to know what you're doing

-the tyre pressure sensors are fragile and will often get broken when getting a tyre replaced. Many car have had the pressure monitoring system disabled at this stage

-rear suspension bushings can wear prematurely, try to find a car that has a record of having them done recently. A bit of dismantling is needed to replace them. the cost is around 300-400 quid from a main dealer.

-electric windows, check they all work. If there is any grinding noises from them a new regulator may be be needed soon

-plug coils can fail

-the flywheel sensor can cause poor starting. Cleaning the sensor usually fixes it, a 5 minute job

-17 inch alloys buckle easily and the tyres are 225/45 R17 and expensive. Most cars have 16 inch alloys which are more practcial
    Berty wrote:
    They come with tyre sensors which broke my heart. Everytime you get a new tyre you have to get them recalibrated in the dealerships so eventually I just switched them off which also broke my heart
    I got many new tyres without getting sensors recalibrated. If a tyre is fitted and the fitter doesn't damage the sensor from rough handling there should be no problem or need to go to the main dealer.
    Berty wrote:
    The car hated NKG plugs absolutely despised them and would only work with the cheap sh*te from the dealerships
    The plugs from the dealership are the correct ones for the car and while cheap are not sh*te. It is nonsensical to use non-recommended plugs, give out about how they don't work well with the car then refer to the correct plugs as "cheap sh*te". Are you some sort of NGK spark plug fanboy or something?

BrianD3 wrote: »
    The main things to check for on pre facelift petrol cars (post facelift will have ironed out many of these)

-if the car has climate control the backlighting on the display may be blown so you won't be able to read the display at night. As already mentioned, a bit of soldering usually fixes it but you need to know what you're doing

-the tyre pressure sensors are fragile and will often get broken when getting a tyre replaced. Many car have had the pressure monitoring system disabled at this stage

-rear suspension bushings can wear prematurely, try to find a car that has a record of having them done recently. A bit of dismantling is needed to replace them. the cost is around 300-400 quid from a main dealer.

-electric windows, check they all work. If there is any grinding noises from them a new regulator may be be needed soon

-plug coils can fail

-the flywheel sensor can cause poor starting. Cleaning the sensor usually fixes it, a 5 minute job

-17 inch alloys buckle easily and the tyres are 225/45 R17 and expensive. Most cars have 16 inch alloys which are more practcial

I got many new tyres without getting sensors recalibrated. If a tyre is fitted and the fitter doesn't damage the sensor from rough handling there should be no problem or need to go to the main dealer.

The plugs from the dealership are the correct ones for the car and while cheap are not sh*te. It is nonsensical to use non-recommended plugs, give out about how they don't work well with the car then refer to the correct plugs as "cheap sh*te". Are you some sort of NGK spark plug fanboy or something?

Thanks man, some really good advice there.

Jaysus, fair play to ya. howd ya manage to find an octavia (i mean Superb) at that price. big fan of those cars, but they just seem to hold value better. But thats a great price. nice one for the bit of research.

It's a Superb actually so better again. Looks like a private sale but if it checked out it could be fine. Might be at the age where some small suspension components might be needed but that engine will run and run

It's a Superb actually so better again. Looks like a private sale but if it checked out it could be fine. Might be at the age where some small suspension components might be needed but that engine will run and run

Ya, good spot, plenty of food for thought. Just get the mulla together now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

I drove my parents 02 Laguna in northern Finland when it was -34 and since I did not freeze to death it kind of tells us that car is not compeletely bad:)

But buying a car like that means that you really have to do some DIY work for it or find a good mechanic, you have to be a crazy to take it to main dealer, the bills will be huge.

It is a nice car, a bit slow with 1.6l petrol, but great brakes, handling is ok, interior is quite nice (modern) and it looks really nice.

Needs a bit work to get it sideways in the winter tough:)

Both my sister and my parents actually have one, both 02 and both 1.6 petrol. My parents car have needed so far a wishbone, brake discs in the back and a new battery etc. Milage is under 100k (km), my sisters car had an issues with the start button and it also broke it´s timing belt at 77 000km, the bill was around 2k to get it fixed.

So the timing belt might be an issue and also it is not cheap to change either, actually all the bills with that car has been quite deep, even the brake discs to the back were around 400e to change.

• Advertisement

itarumaa wrote: »
    I drove my parents 02 Laguna in northern Finland when it was -34 and since I did not freeze to death it kind of tells us that car is not compeletely bad:)

But buying a car like that means that you really have to do some DIY work for it or find a good mechanic, you have to be a crazy to take it to main dealer, the bills will be huge.

It is a nice car, a bit slow with 1.6l petrol, but great brakes, handling is ok, interior is quite nice (modern) and it looks really nice.

Needs a bit work to get it sideways in the winter tough:)

Both my sister and my parents actually have one, both 02 and both 1.6 petrol. My parents car have needed so far a wishbone, brake discs in the back and a new battery etc. Milage is under 100k (km), my sisters car had an issues with the start button and it also broke it´s timing belt at 77 000km, the bill was around 2k to get it fixed.

So the timing belt might be an issue and also it is not cheap to change either, actually all the bills with that car has been quite deep, even the brake discs to the back were around 400e to change.

They are a lovely car to drive alright, really comfy etc. I agree there. Alot of the services, probably the brakes etc i'd do myself. Anything bigger than that i'd head to a mechanic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I have the petrol verion, 03, 60k on the clock. When i got it it had 30k on the clock.

Ive done a few bits to it which would more or less be expected:
    * 4 New tyres (no problems with tyre sensors)
    * Timing belt change - €500 i think is what it cost me
    * replaced 2 rear bushes and front tracking arms. Bought the bushes and arms online and got a mechanic to put them on.
    * new front passenger window regulator . Again bought it online (for a THIRD of the price renault wanted) and had a mechanic fit it
    * new alternator pulley

Never had any problems with electrics. Its a comfy car to drive and many extras come as standard. I do alot of long journeys but Im not a petrol head and i dont really care if my mates car can do 0-60 in half a second. I prefer my luxuries!

I was debating getting rid of it recently but it passed the NCT so i didnt bother.

faceman wrote: »
    Never had any problems with electrics. Its a comfy car to drive and many extras come as standard. I do alot of long journeys but Im not a petrol head and i dont really care if my mates car can do 0-60 in half a second. I prefer my luxuries! .

I'm of the same opinion, saying that, i do like to have enough power for easy overtaking, and cruising etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I meant to add to my post, i had a puncture that was repaired by a non Renault garage. I didnt have any problems with the the tyre sensor after

Advertisement