Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Camper Purchase VRT

• 24-06-2009 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello, i am wondering if anyone can help me. Where would one get the OMSP of a Motorhome? I am purchasing one from the North (it is under 3tonne) and i want to calculate the VRT (here in the south) I will have to pay before i do the deal. I am completely new to this (1st camper) so would appreciate someones help with this question (the seller may split the VRT Value with me) I have the complete details of the Camper i am hoping to purchase. Thanks all, J P.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The only place to try is your local VRT office. Bring as many details as you can and possibly pictures as well. They will then forward this to Rosslare and someone down there will pull a number out of a hat will determine the value.

If it is a well known model that they have assigned random numbers to evaluated before, this might only take a few days. If it is some obscure camper ...good luck.

Sorry to be so negative, but the whole procedure is a joke, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

peasant wrote: »
    They will then forward this to Rosslare and someone down there will pull a number out of a hat will determine the value.

If it is a well known model that they have assigned random numbers to evaluated before,
    My my Peasant - we DID get out of bed on the wrong side this morning! Your insinuation that the officers at the VRT HQ behind the petrol station up the hill from the port of Rosslare would use random numbers to estimate OMSP is insulting.
    I have it on good authority that there is a scientific formula in use:

(((number of days to retirement)x(chances of early retirement scheme)/100) + ((number of 1 or 2 day unvouched sick days + privilege days + off-site training days)x 100) - ((number of supporting photographs of similar campers at lower values)x 500)) x (last 4 digits of foreign number plate)/(number of the last uncompleted clue in today's crossword))

This figure is of course in Irish Pounds so multiply by 1.27 to get the true value in Euro.

I trust this clarifies the matter.

Mise le meas

I M Grumpy. (Senior Officer)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    My my Peasant - we DID get out of bed on the wrong side this morning! Your insinuation that the officers at the VRT HQ behind the petrol station up the hill from the port of Rosslare would use random numbers to estimate OMSP is insulting.
    I have it on good authority that there is a scientific formula in use:

(((number of days to retirement)x(chances of early retirement scheme)/100) + ((number of 1 or 2 day unvouched sick days + privilege days + off-site training days)x 100) - ((number of supporting photographs of similar campers at lower values)x 500)) x (last 4 digits of foreign number plate)/(number of the last uncompleted clue in today's crossword))

This figure is of course in Irish Pounds so multiply by 1.27 to get the true value in Euro.

I trust this clarifies the matter.

Mise le meas

I M Grumpy. (Senior Officer)
    LOL:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Laducar

Also worth remembering that at this time of year it will take a few weeks instead of days to get your quote back.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭SourKraut

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?lang=de&id=117265850&origin=PARK&pageNumber=1&tabNumber=1

anyone want to hazard a rough guess on this baby?

would have another 5k on it by the time I get it back, so 150k-ish 1990 Hymer 55.

If I'm paying 6k in Germany and values in ireland are plummeting (like everything else..) sure they couldn't say it's worth more than 8 or 9? Surely?

(same link as in my thread on 'Buying trouble?')

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 J P

Dear Peasant
    Thanks very much for your advice - will do the trip to the VRT Office but it could take a few weeks as you say for them to come back to me. i surely thought i would get some kind of mkt value estimate off the web to give me an idea of what i would pay Might just have to go for an older one here in the south. Thks again for your expertise. take care J P .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

SourKraut wrote: »

If I'm paying 6k in Germany and values in ireland are plummeting (like everything else..) sure they couldn't say it's worth more than 8 or 9? Surely?
    Trouble is there is no official list of valuations we can access, or even a "book" like trade has for second-hand cars. Campers keep a value long after equivalent commercial vans have gone to rust and scrap value. Despite my joking I don't actually believe the VRT people are "out to get" us or are being "unreasonable" just for pig-iron - they have (I presume) a specific set of rules and guidance and if the law changed tomorrow to make the VRT on all campers €500 they would be quite happy to not have to estimate values. You might suspect they would be under pressure from above to keep the tax take high but I reckons we campervanners are such small fry in the scheme of things that the tax income is just noise.

Re your Hymen sorry Hymer - I would guess that you would be able to make a good case for a low valuation either at the time or on appeal - you have to pay on the initial valuation and then make the appeal but I found them very reasonable on my appeal which I supported with lots of examples printed off from Irish websites.

Note that this one is for "export or dealer" - means they do not give the guarantee with it required in Germany for retail sales. Might mean it has damp or some problems, or it might just mean it's older than they would want to guarantee and priced accordingly. What about moving up a few years to say mid 90's? The quality of the "living" section, cab comfort and diesel technology improved quite a lot in those few years.

Good price though - and Hymers are quick to sell in Ireland (though to the snobbish the Hymer Camp is not a "real" Hymer.....).

dowatchaboy - It was yourself I think that pointed out that line about the lack of guarantee. The seller said that he always puts that clause on camper sales, and I've seen a few other dealers do the same. I suppose it means you treat it as a private sale, same risks and shouldbe for the same price. They just don't want to offer a warranty on a 20 year old machine - even if it's perfect today something can go wrong after 100 kms

I'd love to go for something newer, and considered at one stage to spend a lot more money and get a 97 Hymer 644G for 22-ish grand. Much better van altogether, and also a proper Hymer, I suppose..

This is my first van though, and in case I end up not liking the whole experience, I'm doing it on the cheap this time. I'll just hope to be able to re-sell it without any major loss if i want to trade up after a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Sourkraut:

That camper has been up for sale for several months, I know this because I got mine in Germany in March and had my eye on that one. Was tracking it for some time. You are right that all dealers put that export thing in as a get out clause. I got mine from a private seller.

1991 Dethleffs A532 210000km, exact same interior and layout as the Hymer 55, the VRT people never looked at it, only measured the interior height, valued it at €11000 so €1463 VRT. I'm appealing it. Part of my reasoning is that it aint no Hymer so it cant be worth €11000. :D

some things aren't moving at all, i looked at another even older one and the dates on the pictures were from October last year!

I went to see that van tonight. It's looks clean, drives well, but has a couple of problems - he told me the starter motor is giving a bit of trouble sometimes (it started grand while I was there, mind), and you have to fiddle with the electrics for the warming coils before starting it from cold. Plus the drivers window doesn't wind down.

They're not major faults, but they make me nervous..

on the plus side, he'll buy my old car from me, so I can bring him a could of grand in cash, leave him my knackered auto and drive off in the Hymer.

good luck with your VRT appeal though!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement