Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching to Smart Broadband

Options
  • 24-06-2009 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Currently I am with BT and have very little to complain about, but now that Smart is available in our small village I am seriously tempted to switch over. However I would need to know if my line could even support the 7.6Mbit speeds that Smart are offering.
    My Stats at the moment are SNR 18dB and Attenuation 18dB.
    So my question is, in the opinion of all the geniuses here, would it be worth it switching over to Smart, or is my line already at its limit.
    Thanks
    Dace

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Dacelonid wrote: »
    Hi,
    Currently I am with BT and have very little to complain about, but now that Smart is available in our small village I am seriously tempted to switch over. However I would need to know if my line could even support the 7.6Mbit speeds that Smart are offering.
    My Stats at the moment are SNR 18dB and Attenuation 18dB.
    So my question is, in the opinion of all the geniuses here, would it be worth it switching over to Smart, or is my line already at its limit.
    Thanks
    Dace

An attenuation of 18 dB gets you nearly 20 megs if it were available. 7.6 meg isn't an issue.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Also Smart are very good via their forums at helping each customer to get the maximum out of their line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Thanks for the replies. I was pretty sure my line was ok, but I needed to check with those more knowledgable than I

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

If you are planning on doing a lot of downloading be aware that smarts claims that they offer "unlimited" downloads is not true. They apply a fair usage policy which they do not make clear to end users.

Also take into account at the moment that they are potentially going bust sometime in the near future.

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2009/06/14/story42423.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

machalla wrote: »
    If you are planning on doing a lot of downloading be aware that smarts claims that they offer "unlimited" downloads is not true. They apply a fair usage policy which they do not make clear to end users.

Also take into account at the moment that they are potentially going bust sometime in the near future.

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2009/06/14/story42423.asp

Bit of a biased post there, methinks.....

Whatever about the stability of the company as reported, and the negotiations that are ongoing, the "which they do not make clear" and "potentially going bust" smells a bit like the crap that eircon pulled a few years back in order to try and kick Smart out of existence.

Recap :

eircom refused to comply with LLU, despite repeated calls by "the regulator" to do so; changing to Smart involved changing your telephone number

Smart owed eircom money, but didn't pay, partially because of the above blocking tactic

eircom disabled all calls either to or from Smart numbers - including business calls and 999 calls - without telling anyone

eircom sent out letters to Smart customers telling them Smart were gone and to "come back to eircom"

As someone who spent a couple of very satisfied years with Smart (before I moved and had no choice but to "choose" eircom, due to the fact that no-one could tell me whether the line was good enough for broadband unless I first signed up with eircom for a year) I found the above despicable, and I still think it did untold damage to a company that was providing a damn good - and good value - service.

I nearly cried when I was told that the place I was moving to meant I'd have to double my bill in order to have half the speed, not to mention contention.

Hence my need to reply to a post that seems to be biased along the same type of tactics.

My philosophy - and my reply to eircom at the time - was "if and when Smart go and I have to switch, I'll do so. Until then, I'll continue to enjoy the best and best value broadband service around".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Bit of a biased post there, methinks.....
    My philosophy - and my reply to eircom at the time - was "if and when Smart go and I have to switch, I'll do so. Until then, I'll continue to enjoy the best and best value broadband service around".

I am currently a smart customer by the way... I have been since they started offering BB. I used to evangelise them but I can't do so anymore. The company looks to be on its way out based on media reports. I'm not the editor of the Sunday Business Post just in case you think I may have biased them too!

It seems only fair to mention that there is a risk of them disappearing in the very near future. If people get some benefit out of them in the mean time then good luck to them.

They have started implementing capping on their BB as of now which would seem to imply they are cutting back on their infrastructure. They previously always claimed there was no contention issues due to their network being having massive capacity as I understood it.

I think you will find I am no fan of Eircon either. Due to the state of the copper in my area I can't get any more than 2mb of speed at best out the appalling phone line that has been provided. Anyway I'll leave the ranting about Eircon for some other time..

Advertisement