Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Miserable Attitude - Tallaght tyres, Old Bawn.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

as a few people have said if they didnt want the business just refuse,its not difficult, hanging up on the op is f*cking crazy, id be fired if i hung up on a customer:eek:

the op was paying to have the trye fitted by them so technically he was a customer,the garage must be loaded if they can turn away business:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭pcardin

25euro per tyre?! WTF? It's 10 euro above the regular price! I was charged 10 e per tyre two weeks ago.
    People don't forget that recession works like a filter so with that attitude I would say his business will be gone soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I paid 20/tyre in mayo having 2 tyres done including disposal of old ones. I wouldnt pay any more than that and really 30 should be enough.
    I go to a tyre shop, tell them I have the 2 tyres in the back of the car that I bought online and then ask if they wish to fit them. They can then either refuse or say they are happy to fit them. Now I dont ask how much as I appreciate they have expenses etc but if they rip me off, they will never see me again and who knows, next time, I might buy the tyres locally too.
    Im happy enough with the 20/tyre price at the latest place as they are 18" rims and they did seem to have a harder job with them than the 15" mondeo they were doing at the same time. They also were very polite and professional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

i gave my local guy 40 for fitting 4 tyres and got them balanced as well. 25 is stupid money to give/look for. and as for the guy that hung up on him what a tool. whatever about the price but the ignorance alone would put me off and make me take future buisness else where. how come i can buy a set of hankook tyres off camskil for 300 but my local tyre center wanted 600 for the very same. allow 25 for fitting that still leaves 200 quid. who gets this??? plus anyone who has a vat number would get them cheaper than i got them. people buying stuff off the net hasent this country the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

kruger73 wrote: »
    Folks,
    We all know considerable savings can be made through purchasing tyres online, compared to the prices on the high street here. I appreciate costs involved in maintaining workshop, staff, etc in central locations and have no quibble with it, but will continue to buy online when savings made justify it.
    I am interested to know what people consider a reasonable charge to fit and balance a tyre to a rim? Rim already off the car. Time involved - possibly 10 mins, max 15?
    I am finding some tyre workshops have a bad attitude towards somebody arriving with a tyre not purchased from them.
    Specifically Tallaght tyres in Oldbawn. Wanted €25 from my wife for one tyre to be put on the spare rim (which didn't have a tyre on it, so no waste charge) and balanced.
    When I rang and politely questioned the person involved he hung up on me and told me he wouldnt welcome my business.
    As someone who runs a business myself, I believe it would have been smarter for him to argue his case and perhaps win future business from me?

My wife had €10 on her, and he sent her away with a tyre on a rim not balanced. She found his attitude to be intimidating and condescending. As I find myself with many of these individuals, they would have you believe there is some sort of dark art involved in the service they provide, which gives them the right to condescend gruffly to people. Simple manners cost nothing.

I am ultimately asking if people think the €25 was a fair price? Am I being unrealistic?

A few quick questions to clear things up before I make some stupid comment without having all the facts:

At which point did your wife ask the price to have the tyre fitted and balanced?
    If it was before any work was carried out, she could have left with the €10, the tyre and the rim.

If it was after the work was started...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭Tefral

Always paid a tenner myself. Id offer to take the old tyre away too to be polite, but they always keep it to dispose of it themselves.

To be honest the max id give is €15.

Working it out id say minimum wage for the employee for an hour is 8.65 or whatever it is so divide that by half for the half hour

then 2 euro for machine (wear tear and electricity)

Then add a euro for the lead weights.

Say 2 euro tyre disposal

€4.32
    €2
    €1
    +2
    €9.32

So a tenner to fifteen euro (if ya wanna include overheads) doesnt seem unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭mark1974

cronin_j wrote: »
    Always paid a tenner myself. Id offer to take the old tyre away too to be polite, but they always keep it to dispose of it themselves.

To be honest the max id give is €15.

Working it out id say minimum wage for the employee for an hour is 8.65 or whatever it is so divide that by half for the half hour

then 2 euro for machine (wear tear and electricity)

Then add a euro for the lead weights.

Say 2 euro tyre disposal

€4.32
    €2
    €1
    +2
    €9.32

So a tenner to fifteen euro (if ya wanna include overheads) doesnt seem unreasonable.

What about insurance.
    A friend of mine had to close his tyre business because of costs among other things and the biggest cost was insurance.
    If anyone crashes because of "Internet" tyres the first to be blamed will be the guys who fitted them. Risk long legal battles for €10. I wouldnt!

mark1974 wrote: »
    What about insurance.
    A friend of mine had to close his tyre business because of costs among other things and the biggest cost was insurance.
    If anyone crashes because of "Internet" tyres the first to be blamed will be the guys who fitted them. Risk long legal battles for €10. I wouldnt!
    so whats the differance between a hankook tyre he supplies and the one camskill supplies? other than the 75 quid of course. if he refuses to fit an internet tyre on say a womans car and she got a blow out on the drive home and went out in front of a truck with kids in the car and they were all killed. how would he feel then??? i can understand what your saying about insurance but how hard can it be to put up a notice saying tyres brought in by the car owner are fitted at there own risk or even an extra fiver on top of the tenner cost for 15mins work should cover his cost.

mark1974 wrote: »
    What about insurance.

What about it? I said add a fiver for over heads, plus i was greatly exaggerating the time it would take a tyre fitter to put a tyre on a rim, it takes less than 15 mins.

So i think its safe to say a 5 a tyre well covers insurance if ya add up each tyre over the year that a business would fit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

ronanc15 wrote: »
    Someone mentioned paying more because it's an alloy. That's ridiculous, they do the same job no matter what type of wheel and should be careful whether its a steelie or expensive alloy.

As for not haggling....dont be ridiculous.

Just a quick one on this. The extra equipment ( i.e.machine fittings and rollers ) needed to fit tyres to alloys is very expensive plus there's always the risk of damaging that wheel, hence the tyre man charges more.

Now back to the OP and his original complaint. I think its fair to say that nobody should tolerate rudeness. Its never on and people should just walk.......BUT times are very hard at the moment and the likes of tyre shops like everybody are feeling it very hard. Now to walk in the door with tyres under your arm and expect someone to fit them IMO aint on either. The internet might be the place to buy tyres but the internet cant fit them. If everybody bought tyres on the internet then sooner or later all tyre shops would be bust and then where would people go? Would you walk into a bakery with dough in a tray and ask him to bake it or better still walk into a pharmacy with internet drugs and ask him to make up a prescription??? Probably not.

Saab Ed wrote: »
    If everybody bought tyres on the internet then sooner or later all tyre shops would be bust and then where would people go?
    my local guy is kept going fitting tyres people get off the net. he makes just as much from doing it and dont have the extra work of ordering the tyres. guess its how much you value the people handing out the money. other guys might not like it but in these hard times people are going to buy from the place thats the cheapest. if they keep turing people away they wont have a buisness very long. is it not better to get 15/20 quid for fitting a tyre they didnt supply than get nothing. if they fit the tyre and it gets a flat the person will prob come back to get it repaired but if they refuse to fit it i dont think the person will go to them to get it repaired...

sean1141 wrote: »
    people if they fit the tyre and it gets a flat the person will prob come back to get it repaired but if they refuse to fit it i dont think the person will go to them to get it repaired...

......and what if its whats called a parallel import with no EU approval and totally unsuitable compound for irish conditions such as the ones that are showing up everywhere cause people are buying them cheaper on the internet? Maybe they'll have an accident and damage their car and sue the tyre man or better still kill someone cause the car wont stop!

Just as a mater of intersest how do you know your local guy is cleaning up fitting internet tyres? Did he say to you in conversation " Jesus Im cleaning up fitting these internet tyres "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Just a quick one on this. The extra equipment ( i.e.machine fittings and rollers ) needed to fit tyres to alloys is very expensive plus there's always the risk of damaging that wheel, hence the tyre man charges more.

What I was trying to say is that I have never ever heard of someone charging extra to change a tyre on an alloy and ive had both. At the moment I've pretty expensive 18s on the car, and about a month ago a fella on the dublin rd in Limerick changed 2 "internet tyres" for 5 euro each provided I take away the old ones. Happy days. I think its fair to say he wouldnt have charged me any less for steelies!

......and what if its whats called a parallel import with no EU approval and totally unsuitable compound for irish conditions such as the ones that are showing up everywhere cause people are buying them cheaper on the internet? Maybe they'll have an accident and damage their car and sue the tyre man or better still kill someone cause the car wont stop!

Just as a mater of intersest how do you know your local guy is cleaning up fitting internet tyres? Did he say to you in conversation " Jesus Im cleaning up fitting these internet tyres "
    ill agree with ya on some of them crap tyres doing the rounds but id rather a new crap tyre on my car than a bald old one.

i pulled in with him one evening and asked him if he would fit 4 tyres i got off the internet.
    he says no probs at all. i have a bit of time now if ya want.
    i says no probs ill get them. went home and got them and came back.
    he started fitting them and says im getting a good few lads coming in with there own tyres. i asked him do ya mind fitting them? would ya not lose out on a few quid on your own tyres. no he says i supply the tyre at the cost price the way i make money is the price of fitting. i get the same for fitting these for you as i would if you came in and bought the 4 of them off me only this way i have less hassel as i dont have to mess around on the phone ordering them and putting you off for a week till they arrive..

maybe not all tyre fitters are like him maybe they are money grabbin [EMAIL="bast@%ds"]bast@%ds[/EMAIL]

sean1141 wrote: »
    ill agree with ya on some of them crap tyres doing the rounds but id rather a new crap tyre on my car than a bald old one.

But how do you know yours are not crap tyres and if the are who do I sue when it all goes wrong and your car is in the side of mine...You presumably! ( Now in fairness It would be you I'd sue anyway but just making the point)

As regards money grabin bast%$ds. Is it fair to say that all retailers of any product are rip off merchants in this country and if so why dont we just buy everything off the internet? I'll tell you why we dont. Because most people like to have somewhere to go back to with a problem. Also most people cant fit tyres just like they cant make bread or do up prescriptions. I asked the question in an earlier post " would you bring internet drugs to a pharmacy and ask him to make you a prescription " Nobody answered this question but I suspect most people would say they wouldnt their nelly. So why then would you fit tyres of which you dont know the quality off to your car with no comeback at all. Everything is cheaper on the internet because of a multiple of reasons i.e quality or labour being 2. So when the tyre man has no tyres left to sell well you better learn to use tyre levers..........available on the internet :D

• Advertisement

But how do you know yours are not crap tyres and if the are who do I sue when it all goes wrong and your car is in the side of mine...You presumably! ( Now in fairness It would be you I'd sue anyway but just making the point)
    so the first thing you would do if someone runs into you is check if they have internet tyres fitted. would you not think they were sppedin, drink driving not paying attention etc
    As regards money grabin bast%$ds. Is it fair to say that all retailers of any product are rip off merchants in this country and if so why dont we just buy everything off the internet? I'll tell you why we dont. Because most people like to have somewhere to go back to with a problem.
    no jusgt retailers who rip off people. are you trying to tell me that someone in the tyre trade pays 75 quid more for the same hankook tyre that i got off camskill. i dont think so! a bit off topic but i bought a timing belt kit off a vw dealer off north for 108 euro the same kit from my local vw dealer costs 250 euro. now where is that 140 euro gone!! rip off republic!!!
    Also most people cant fit tyres just like they cant make bread or do up prescriptions. I asked the question in an earlier post " would you bring internet drugs to a pharmacy and ask him to make you a prescription " Nobody answered this question but I suspect most people would say they wouldnt their nelly. So why then would you fit tyres of which you dont know the quality off to your car with no comeback at all. Everything is cheaper on the internet because of a multiple of reasons i.e quality or labour being 2. So when the tyre man has no tyres left to sell well you better learn to use tyre levers..........available on the internet :D
    as are tyre machines and they aint that hard to use!!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭j2dab

Funny, reminded me of when I rang the car dealership beside this tyre place about a car he had which had very low mileage for the year and asked him did he reckon it was definitely genuine mileage - he hung up on me as well :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

Would you walk into a bakery with dough in a tray and ask him to bake it or better still walk into a pharmacy with internet drugs and ask him to make up a prescription??? Probably not.

Dont be ridiculous. Thats not the same thing at all

When I was a teenager I worked in a garage fitting tyres. Operating a tyre fitting machine couldn't be any easier and there is no way to justify 25 euros for less than 10 minutes work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

or better still walk into a pharmacy with internet drugs and ask him to make up a prescription??? Probably not.

Em probably shouldn't be saying this considering Dad's a pharmacist but surely if you buy drugs off the internet there's no need to go to the Pharmacy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Johnboy Mac

The bottom line here is that there was no sound commercial reason for turning away a paying customer - full stop. The tyre shop is now at the lost of say of a reasonable €10 (plus or whatever) per tyre , no chance of 'up selling' like wheel alignment or the selling of future services like batteries, punctures or the odd tyre sale etc.

It's not just the OP that won't be going back or his family but possibly his friends also.

How many here are now going to make a point of using to Tallaght Tyres?

And dismiss any of analogies previously stated, there are incorrect at best and misleading also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I'm with the o/p on this one. I usually take the wheels off the vehicle and bring them in twos to the garage. A wheel centre in Swords actually did them for me for no charge fitted and balanced. Throw the fitter a tip on the way out I was told. I would pay 15 Euros to have tyre fitted, what madman would turn this money away in this climate. But, and this one I don't get there is no reason to be rude to a customer or to another human being. Even a refusal can be done politley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

I think the question asked by the OP about the price and the resulting debate about same is a smoke screen and not the reason for the post.
    Considering there is usually two sides to every story, how can it be right for the OP to be allowed sully the name of a business that others have posted to be reputable?

Don’t you think its strange that the OP’s first is attacking a business.

Specifically Tallaght tyres in Oldbawn. Wanted €25 from my wife for one tyre to be put on the spare rim (which didn't have a tyre on it, so no waste charge) and balanced.
    My wife had €10 on her, and he sent her away with a tyre on a rim not balanced
    When I rang and politely questioned the person involved he hung up on me and told me he wouldnt welcome my business.

If the price was €25 and his wife only had €10, how come the tyre was fitted, but not balanced? Did the wife not ask the price before getting the job done or try bidding after the job was started? It sounds to me that there is a bit more to this story.

This thread is a disgrace. I don’t think Tallaght Tyres,or any business, should be exposed to unsubstantiated claims like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

€25 to fit a tyre is extortionate. If they didn't want to fit the tyre they should have refused to do it on principle instead of ripping off a customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 WarrenB

It sounds to me that there is a bit more to this story.

This thread is a disgrace. I don’t think Tallaght Tyres,or any business, should be exposed to unsubstantiated claims like this.

Of course theres more to the story. Tyre places dont like fitting internet tyres because then they cant shift their own rip off over priced tyres. This is the crux of the matter.

Yes they should be exposed along with any other over priced retailer or service provider.

WarrenB wrote: »
    Of course theres more to the story. Tyre places dont like fitting internet tyres because then they cant shift their own rip off over priced tyres. This is the crux of the matter.

Yes they should be exposed along with any other over priced retailer or service provider.

Exactly. If a federal 215 45 18 tyre can be got off a reputable internet supplier for circa 65 or 70euro, how can they possibly justify charging about 130 a piece???

The market justifys the price ronan. If most people are willing to pay 130 for a tyre then thats how much they are worth.

In this day and age of increasing competition and consumer price awareness, all that one business has over another when you boil it down is how well you treat the customer. I will always go back to a place if i get good customer service if its a little more expensive so what... I get what i want and good customer service too boot..

From a business perspective, i think its mad for them to turn down this kind of business.. once they have someone in the front gate, they should be telling them about the other services they provide such as light adjustment, tracking, batterys etc. Id see it as an opportunity to really sell my business to someone. Businesses have forgotten what its like to treat consumers correctly, they have also forgotten the the crowd is fickle and will go elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

cronin_j wrote: »
    From a business perspective, i think its mad for them to turn down this kind of business.. once they have someone in the front gate, they should be telling them about the other services they provide such as light adjustment, tracking, batterys etc. Id see it as an opportunity to really sell my business to someone. Businesses have forgotten what its like to treat consumers correctly, they have also forgotten the the crowd is fickle and will go elsewhere.

+1

If i was a business owner and had a piece of equipment lying idle, I'd rather get €10 for doing a 2 - 5 min job than get nothing.... If you do a good job, say please and thanks, the next time this guy needs a tyre fitted he'll come back down.. Say next time he needs 4 tyres fitted, now your up €40..... Or maybe he can't get the tyre he needs off the internet in a hurry, so will pop down your way to make a purchase...

When i lived in Canada, a large outdoor / hardware store would allow people to borrow tools for free. Yep for free! They would just put it on your credit card when you borrow then deduct it when you return it. So say you needed an engine hoist for the w/e you could go get one for free there. It was all about getting you into their store, cause once your there you'll buy something.

Businesses in ireland have had it too easy for too long.... Although there are some business out there that understand how to do business. A few weeks ago i was replacing a t-belt on a Peugeot. Just thought i'd get a haynes manual from a motor factors in drumcondra beginning with "C" for reference. They didn't have the right haynes manual for the engine. So the guy behind the counter takes out another trade manual and says "there's the belt path + instructions, you can go get it photo copied if you like". Now there's a shop i'd go back to, cost him nothing, got me out of a bind....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Exactly. If a federal 215 45 18 tyre can be got off a reputable internet supplier for circa 65 or 70euro, how can they possibly justify charging about 130 a piece???

...for the same reason that a local tyre guy might have 1000's tied up in machinery and staff, and the costs that go with i, the internet guys..........don't. They have a shed, with pallets of tyres in it. Zero investment, apart from the roof over their head.

And don't forget carriage/freight. It's not as cheap as you think, ex-UK.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 36 amurray32

I used this company about 3 weeks ago for my wifes car, I found them to be very helpful and fast.

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...for the same reason that a local tyre guy might have 1000's tied up in machinery and staff, and the costs that go with i, the internet guys..........don't. They have a shed, with pallets of tyres in it. Zero investment, apart from the roof over their head.

I don't understand your point? Are you saying we should support the tyre shops here because of some investment they made?

As for purchasing tyres from the Uk, it is much cheaper like for like, I presume you hav'nt tried it out from your comment?

• Advertisement

Are you telling me I should pay 60 euro extra because of their investments???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

You have to pay delivery when purchaing online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

The Muppet wrote: »
    You have to pay delivery when purchaing online.

So? It still works out *much* cheaper, even if you were paying €25 a corner to fit!

i got 4 hankook evo 12 225/45R17 from camskill in the uk delivered to my door for e300. local tyre center wanted e130 each for them. thats 120 euro in the differance even if i gave someone 25 quid each for fitting which i didnt.... thats two tanks of diesel about 1000 miles driving!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭mark1974

What I have noticed here is the lack of fact from the OP.
    You say the tyre fitter wanted €25 for fitting the tyre yet your wife actually got it fitted for €10 albeit without balancing.
    Is this because she told him she only had a tenner when he had the job done. If this is the case he had every right to feel he had been conned and decided to cut his loses and told her to get lost and that he wasn't going to balance the wheel.
    Then he had the OP on the phone complaining about a service when all along its the tyre fitter who was made a fool of.
    All IMO of course but there is definitely more to this story:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Are you telling me I should pay 60 euro extra because of their investments???
    I don't understand your point? Are you saying we should support the tyre shops here because of some investment they made?

As for purchasing tyres from the Uk, it is much cheaper like for like, I presume you hav'nt tried it out from your comment?

I think what is being said is don't complain when you buy tyres on-line and no one will fit them.

It is up to the individual tyre centres as to weather they will fit them or not. TBH I can understand them not fitting or charging more to fit them.

I think what is being said is don't complain when you buy tyres on-line and no one will fit them.

It is up to the individual tyre centres as to weather they will fit them or not. TBH I can understand them not fitting or charging more to fit them.

No complaints here as I never has a problem with getting tyres (3 sets) fitted by my local tyre shop. Was charged €8 per tyre fitted & balanced originally plus €40 for 4x4 wheel alignment. So in total I sent €72 in the local shop for the first two sets and an extra €5 per tyre for the last set due to desposal charges. Over last few years I've spent somewhere in the region of €250 including the odd puncture. Oh and just as importantly I'd recommend the shop in question.

Nor am I complaining. I have absolutely no problems getting people to fit them and never have been turned away. They've always been glad of the few quid. In turn I have sent a lot of business to the places I use for people who don't like buying online.

Win-win situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I think its crazy for any tyre fitting co, to turn away people who turn up with a tyre in their hand and ask for it to be fitted. It just goes to show how much money these places are making.

I had a someone put what looked like some sort of grease into my washer bottle after I asked them to fit a tyre I bought online, I can only guess it was to teach me a lesson not to go back or a genuine mistake. I hope it was the latter but I seriously doubt it was. Ruined my lines and had awful trouble one wet morning when a load of it hit the windscreen on the M50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭metalgear2k2

I buy my tyres online, get em fitted and balanced at the local tyre center, €10 a corner. The guy (guy in tyre center) in the original post sounds like an asshole to be honest and the OP's wife should really have taken her business else where IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

The guy in the OPs post did not want to fit the tyre full stop. He quoted 25 euro to do the job which is above the normal price it would seem basically saying "if you bring your own tyre then I will charge you extra to make it worth me while. The wife said, "come on I have 10 euro in my pocket you need the work don't you" and he refused. Later he get a call from a fellow (not a paying customer) giving out about his prices?

Look there is a recession on, I know, but business people can still refuse work if they want, just cause you have some money to spend does not mean that you can get any job done for what you want to pay. Just go elsewhere if you want.

There is a knock on effect from all this bargain hunting. People don't value service or quality anymore. All people want is price. The OP admits to being a businessman himself and should know that. Even a small purchase helps the economy. I try to support local small business as much as I can. These people are my customers.

Yeah you can get anything cheaper on the net. in tescos in the north etc. But every time you spend your money locally (and I do shop around locally) you secure your own job and the food your family eats just a little bit more. I am always willing to pay a little extra to support local business. If you dont want to do that,then dont expect platinum service from you local place when you need them to do something for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭ford jedi

this thread should end as no one from the tyre shop in question is on to defend themselves and over 1300 potential customers have veiwed this and no one knows the original poster from adam.

we can debate this all nite ,the customer may have caught the shop on a bad day where he had alot more money on other jobs and didnt need the hassle for ten quid .but this bull**** can ruin someone who is possibly strugglin to start with, i have no links to this tyre shop but nameing companys radomly will end you in court and is no good for anyone..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

ford jedi wrote: »
    this thread should end as no one from the tyre shop in question is on to defend themselves and over 1300 potential customers have veiwed this and no one knows the original poster from adam.

we can debate this all nite ,the customer may have caught the shop on a bad day where he had alot more money on other jobs and didnt need the hassle for ten quid .but this bull**** can ruin someone who is possibly strugglin to start with, i have no links to this tyre shop but nameing companys radomly will end you in court and is no good for anyone..

Why has the OP not answered some of the questions put to him?
    He started this thread - why is he not paying any attention to it?

Oh, and his second post on Boards was critisizing a company :(:confused: - not good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

I have found that particular place expensive for fixing a puncture alone and pretty gruff about it.
    Generally tyre places treat it like it is some kind of mysterious black art and I have found them to look down on their customers as it is a service they know the customer is stuck without. Customer service in most places is minimal, some are just about ok.
    I will be buying online from now on, but in total for those that choose that route it is a small percent of their customers.

Advertisement