Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rottweiler's Not Welcome !

Options
  • 24-06-2009 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hello guys

I am absolutly furious while I am writing this.

I am just after getting off the phone and I believe that this needs to be told.

There is a dog show being held in the midlands this weekend and I came across their advertisement on the dog section of a well known Irish trade site.

The ad stated that there would be a number of classes, the usual: Obedience & Agility and also "working classes for all breeds of dog including Terriers, Setters, Pointers, Spaniels, Lurchers, labrador and retreivers."

The ad also stated that crossbreeds and pedigree dogs are welcome.
    And also that this was advertised as being a fun day out for all of the family.

As a few of you will known from previous posts of mine, I have a female Bichon puppy and my partner has 2 Rottweilers (1 male, 1 female)
    We are trying to find a few shows to enter the Bichon into while she is still young so when I found this particular one, I was thrilled.

I decided to telephone the number on the ad to enquire about entering the dogs on the day etc.
    When I got through to the person, I confirmed with them that all breeds are welcome to enter into the show.....they agreed.
    I was happy and began to explain that we had a bichon puppy and 2 rottie's......it was then that the conversation began to change.
    They advised me that they "didn't do rottweilers"

I questioned this further and they finally turned around and said "we are trying to stay away from dangerous dogs" and "any other breed is welcome bar rottweilers" and their insurance wouldn't cover rottweilers anyway. My partner told me to call them back and tell them I was thinking of bringing a Pitbull :D

I am absolutly digusted and appauled that this society advised me that I could not bring my pets to the show and since they didnt have any rottweilers entered in last years show, they werent having any entered into this years show.

Can someone please share their opinion on this matter with me because I am absolutly furious and am I over-reacting ? ? ? :confused: Because I do not think so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Well if it is their show...they make the rules and if that is their policy so be it as frustrating as it is.

If the insurance policy excludes these type of dogs then there isnt a whole lot they can do. Although I would like the see this policy before I believe it fully.

At least it saved you an embarrassing situation on the day...perhaps set about lobbying them for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

OMG i cant believe it!! I own a rottie and id be furious too. Id love to go down with my rottie but im showing all weekend.

Have they advertised on the ad that they dont want rotties? coz if they havent then they dont have a leg to stand on, id be getting everyone i know that has a rottie to turn up at the show just to spite them.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭valpuk

Thank you for your reply PartyGuinness but the reason that I am so annoyed is that they stated on their advertisement that the show was for all working dogs and then further on in the ad they said again the all cross breeds and pedigree dogs are welcome.

They said all were welcome when they actually arent.

PM sent AndreaC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I would be absolutely furious as well. Did they say it is JUST Rotties that are excluded, or any of the dogs on the stupid restricted breeds list? Rotties are a working dog, and I know that some people who show them also enter them into working dog competitions, so that they are a good all round dog.

Absolutely disgusting.

• Advertisement

A rottie is a pedigree and a working dog, do people not know that rotties were actually bred to herd cattle?
    why do they think they are dangerous and vicsous??:confused::confused:

I have been living up here for over 2 years now and when I first moved up I remember that a child had been attacked by one.

We still get hissed at by our neighbours because we have a rottie.

We have received threats that if they are off their chains and the gate is open that they will be shot.

I walked out into yard a month ago while 1 of the neighbours was walking down road wth his gun dog and as I walked out i saw him pointing the gun over the fence at our rottie...... how do you deal with that???
    People dont see that side to the argument.

When i was very young, my mam bought a collie, £400 he cost, that was 22 yrs ago.
    He was beautiful ! !
    Anyway, 1 day a child from down the road was playing outside our house and of course our collie jumped the gate when he saw kids playing.
    The girl stepped back and stood on kelly's tail, he turned and bit the girl on the leg.
    The girl's mother came up to our house and cause war, she started shouting how our dog was extremely viscious and she wanted him gotten rid of immediately.
    Her daughter was standing there screaming at the mother saying that it wasnt the dogs fault, she was the one who hurt him first.
    Anyway the short ending is that 2 wks later, my dog was no longer around, he as taken to the vets to be put down.
    It is not just 1 breed that is deemed VISCIOUS.
    Any dog can snarl.
    My bichon and female rottie are thrilled when they see each other in the morning, they love each other, but if u feed the two of them together, both are food protective so they growl at each other, the 9 month old bichon pup is far more "fierce and viscious" :D:D:D than the huge, sharp tooth, rottie.

I wish that a crowd of rottie owners would join forces on sunday and all of us turn up to that show, with the law abiding muzzels and all. :D

I would once again like to clarify that the person with whom I spoke with, advised me that it is only rottie's that are not included in the all-breed dog show and that their insurance would not cover rottie's and that they are trying to stay away from dangerous dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

where is this show?

Check out donedeal, you will find it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

Valpuk, I can see how you would be frustrated by this but unfortunatly in this case the organisers of the show have the power. I would find it ahrd to believe that an insurance company has stipulated just rotties to be excluded from this event however. I see they are allowing terriers in teh working class to this family day ...i myself think terriers are lovely but they asd well as any dog can (sometimes) have a tendancy to be snappy (small dogs with big attitude :D)

I can see their point however, they are marketing this event as a family day out, unfortunatly there is a lot of ignorance out there to this breed and they may be worried that they will not get as good a turn out to the event if a large number of rotties are present? :confused:

All i know is I would definitley prefer to be going to a fun/family day out with 10 rotties rather than 10 hyperactive kids ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭uprising

Thats a load of sh1t, crossbreeds but no rottweilers?, rottweilers are great dogs, just depends on how their brought up, like any breed or cross breed, some are good, some are bad, but this crap about a particular breed being bad is rubbish.
    I refuse to put a muzzle on my rottweiler, simply because he doesnt need it, he's a friendly dog, I keep him under control and like to let him have a good run around without a stupid muzzle.
    A guard stopped me one day and asked where his muzzle was, i told him i didnt have one because i didnt need one, the ban guard got out and was rubbing his big smiley head while the other was afraid to get out while muttering some BS law or another, and how I'll be fined if he see's me again with him out without a muzzle.
    I'm surprised at the show though, surely anybody organising a dog show should have some form of understanding of dogs and realise you cant tell a dogs personality by breed.
    I hope they get a heap of vicious mutts showing up and spend the day pulling knarling dogs away from each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

Jesus! That's so so wrong!:mad: You've every right to be angry Valpuk, I'm angry just reading what they said. How can dogshow organisers be so ignorant?
    In your shoes I'd place an ad on Donedeal as well with the same title as their one, and advertise disgust at what they told you and insinuated about your Rotties.
    I don't believe for a second that the insurance wouldn't cover Rotties, they're using that as an excuse cos the real reason is shameful. What insurance policy would cover every breed on the restricted list bar one???
    Bull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

This is my buddys rottie "Missy". The only thing she is guilty of is slobbering on my shoes....

3656235347_0db51a653f.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

That whole dangerous dogs notion is ridiculous.Dangerous owners more like.

The first 3 pictures are of our male Rottie.

The up-close one is our female one.

The final one is an old pic of our Bichon.

The bichon (Sassy) and female Rottie (Ria) love each other and love to play with each other.

Do these look like viscious dogs?

Anytime someone calls to the house Sassy goes mental, barking and growling. Ria sits there and wags her tail......

I think I have said enough.

Advertisement