Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet 24meg = 1meg in Ranelagh

Options
  • 24-06-2009 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

Finally, the local exchange (Rathmines) is unbundled. How pleased I was to finally get broadband up and running, only to quickly realise that my apparent 24meg connection can only support a paltry 1 meg download/0.5meg upload.

I called Magnet tech support who, after conducting a line test, believe the problem is most likely the eircom wires connecting my house to the exchange. Either that or the internal wiring in the house. According to tech support, I'm $h!t out of luck.

They downgraded me to the 10meg plan and have given me the option of cancelling altogether.

Is there anything I can do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

spectre wrote: »
    Finally, the local exchange (Rathmines) is unbundled. How pleased I was to finally get broadband up and running, only to quickly realise that my apparent 24meg connection can only support a paltry 1 meg download/0.5meg upload.

I called Magnet tech support who, after conducting a line test, believe the problem is most likely the eircom wires connecting my house to the exchange. Either that or the internal wiring in the house. According to tech support, I'm $h!t out of luck.

They downgraded me to the 10meg plan and have given me the option of cancelling altogether.

Is there anything I can do?
    The lines to your house were layed a long time ago and you can't change what exchange your connected to so I'm afraid you might just be. What speeds were you on before the exchange was unbundled? Because 1MB on ADSL should give at least 3 or 4MB on ADSL2+.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭spectre

cpu-dude wrote: »
    The lines to your house were layed a long time ago and you can't change what exchange your connected to so I'm afraid you might just be. What speeds were you on before the exchange was unbundled? Because 1MB on ADSL should give at least 3 or 4MB on ADSL2+.

We were with BT before the unbundling. I think it was supposed to be a 3meg connection but was more like a 1meg connection or less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Can you check your line SNR and Attenuation stats on the modem? That'll tell you a lot.

Check again with everything removed from the phone lines in your house, except the DSL modem, and have the modem on the master socket and not an extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭spectre

jor el wrote: »
    Can you check your line SNR and Attenuation stats on the modem? That'll tell you a lot.

How do I check these? I presume I access the modems menu from the browser? I can check this tonight.
    jor el wrote: »
    Check again with everything removed from the phone lines in your house, except the DSL modem, and have the modem on the master socket and not an extension.

Did this already, no change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Facelessman

I have just gotten the new magnet 24mb package too in Ranelagh and so far my speed tests are showing a download speed of 12-14mb and an upload speed of 1mb. Whilst it is twice the speed of my old Eircom package, it is still a lot less than advertised. I have not called support as I wanted to monitor it over a period of time plus my contract does not officially start until 29th June.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

I have just gotten the new magnet 24mb package too in Ranelagh and so far my speed tests are showing a download speed of 12-14mb and an upload speed of 1mb. Whilst it is twice the speed of my old Eircom package, it is still a lot less than advertised. I have not called support as I wanted to monitor it over a period of time plus my contract does not officially start until 29th June.
    It's UP TO 24MB and 12-14 is probably the maximum your line can handle. In order to get the full 24MB, you'd need to be a maximum 0.5KM from the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭mackeminexile

I'm less than half a mile from the exchange and here are my stats. I had an Eircom line installed into a newly refurbished flat under a house full of other flats and this is the best I can get.

507144164.png

I'm on the 24mb pack. Should I downgrade or will that drop the speed further as the test on the Magnet site says I'm getting 23mb!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

Maybe you should post this in the Magnet forum?

Biz -> Commericial Interaction -> Magnet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Hmmm. It seems that the Rathmines exchange has a lot of decrepit wiring in it. But as telephone lines in Ireland go, they've probably been well established in D6 before many if not most other places. Leaving it more in need of renewal. Especially being in Dublin, but outside the main business areas. UPC will be the best way to get broadband in D6 in the medium term.

Dundrum and Priory Park are other good examples of this sort of exchange, and it's no coincidence that eircom are trialling FTTC in these areas of Dublin. Ship Street seems to be another exchange with dodgy loops and plant, but few people live in its area to complain about it. And many lines will work well anyway.

Spectre, did you have a DSL service before Magnet? What was it like for speed?

Advertisement