Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To buy or not to buy? Help needed

• 24-06-2009 11:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

I currently drive a 03 mondeo and was thinking of trading up. My main reason for trading up is that I have always wanted an automatic; I work in town and spend a lot of time in traffic so it is just a preference of mine. I have 3K left on the loan for the mondeo and I have being approved by the bank for an additional 10K so I was hoping with a trade in I could get a car for 14-15K. I was looking at a couple of BMW’s and Audi’s and now I am having second thoughts. Is it worth getting into dept for another 5 years just to get an automatic?

I was then thinking of maybe just getting a loan o 6K and getting a Hyundai Coupe 05 2L or something similar. Can someone recommend a decent car 2L automatic for approx 10K or would I be better of spending 15K on a BMW or just keeping the Mondeo? I really don’t know what to do so any advice is welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Why would you want to get into a 2 litre automatic the way things are now? I can see the appeal for city driving but it will be thirsty, a few years old and could well become a money pit, especially if is a BMW or any other ‘premium’ brand. Given the figures you mention and your concern about debt wouldn’t the best thing be just to stick with what you have for the time being?

If the debt does not worry you and your work is solid then why not, but if not then I would forget it.

Not exciting advice I know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

If the debt does not worry you and your work is solid then why not, but if not then I would forget it.

That's probably the soundest advice you'd get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭bobbyg

I have a solid job so the debt isn't too much of an issue, I currently pay 170 a month on the loan I have so if I go for 10K it will be an extra 100 a month but if I only go for the 6K it will only be about 50 extra a month. The only thing that is holding me back is that I am also saving for a house and will probably need to shift the loan elsewhere in 2 years.

In terms of the 2L, I alreadry drive a 1.8 so I am not sure if there will be too extra in cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

The automatic gearbox will cause the car to drink it in traffic.

You could probably get a Golf/Jetta 1.9tdi with a DSG gearbox for that money. The DSG box is good, the engine reliable if a little noisy and it should be worth more at the end than a 2 litre petrol auto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Stealdo

bobbyg wrote: »
    I have a solid job so the debt isn't too much of an issue, I currently pay 170 a month on the loan I have so if I go for 10K it will be an extra 100 a month but if I only go for the 6K it will only be about 50 extra a month. The only thing that is holding me back is that I am also saving for a house and will probably need to shift the loan elsewhere in 2 years.

In terms of the 2L, I alreadry drive a 1.8 so I am not sure if there will be too extra in cost.

Seriously - loads of city driving in your big heavy 1.8 litre car is the issue and you're considering getting a heavier (maybe??), bigger engined, automatic?
    The loan is not the only extra cost you're going to have.

Stick with what you've got, great car despite the image, or if you're sure you want to change it, get something that suits your needs - i.e. small, light, fuel efficient car.

• Advertisement

Stealdo wrote: »
    Seriously - loads of city driving in your big heavy 1.8 litre car is the issue and you're considering getting a heavier (maybe??), bigger engined, automatic?
    The loan is not the only extra cost you're going to have.

Stick with what you've got, great car despite the image, or if you're sure you want to change it, get something that suits your needs - i.e. small, light, fuel efficient car.

Sorry I should clarify, the only issue I have with the 1.8 mondeo is that it is not an automatic. Maybe I am just being lazy but an automatic is something I have always wanted. I actually think the Mondeo is really good on the petrol, it's better then my old 1.4 Rover.

I guess my question is if I was to change to an automatic what car would people recommend? Cheers for all the advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Stealdo

bobbyg wrote: »
    Sorry I should clarify, the only issue I have with the 1.8 mondeo is that it is not an automatic. Maybe I am just being lazy but an automatic is something I have always wanted. I actually think the Mondeo is really good on the petrol, it's better then my old 1.4 Rover.

I guess my question is if I was to change to an automatic what car would people recommend? Cheers for all the advice.

Fair enough so - god bless you if you're willing to pay c.10k just for an auto box, but as others have said the fuel consumption will almost certainly be noticeable higher.

Have you driven automatics much? Do you really think it's worth it?

Stealdo wrote: »
    Fair enough so - god bless you if you're willing to pay c.10k just for an auto box, but as others have said the fuel consumption will almost certainly be noticeable higher.

Have you driven automatics much? Do you really think it's worth it?

I haven't driven them too much just a couple of times. A few people I know have them a love them and I am just guessing that it would suit me better driving into town everyday (I hate constantly having to change gears). I didn't realize there was much of a difference with the fuel consumption.

I am actually gone to decide whether or not to get one based on the advice I get here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Skoda/Octavia/2.0TDI-E/200912192219036/advert?channel=CARS

Pretty good spec as standard. Cracking engine / gearbox combo and would be a lot lighter than the Mondeo on fuel.

Not the best colour or reg though :-(

R.O.R wrote: »
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Skoda/Octavia/2.0TDI-E/200912192219036/advert?channel=CARS

Pretty good spec as standard. Cracking engine / gearbox combo and would be a lot lighter than the Mondeo on fuel.

Not the best colour or reg though :-(

Are Skoda a decent car? The fuel consumption isn't really my main concern, if I am going to buy an automatic I would like a quick car but no higher then 2L. I guess I am looking for advice on a high performance car, what to buy in my price range? cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

A 2L auto is not going to be a performance car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP did you look at the Honda Accord auto? A little more expensive to service and maintain than a Mondeo but cheaper fix than a premium brand if something goes wrong. Given Honda's record for reliability I reckon it will balance itself out over the long term against the running costs of a Mondeo.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200925194377516

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

I have an automatic Celica - decent economy and performance from the 1.8cc vvtli . 10 K would get you a nice one. They also have buttons on the steering wheel if you want to go manual mode :)

bazz26 wrote: »
    OP did you look at the Honda Accord auto? A little more expensive to service and maintain than a Mondeo but cheaper fix than a premium brand if something goes wrong. Given Honda's record for reliability I reckon it will balance itself out over the long term against the running costs of a Mondeo.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200925194377516

Cheers, that actually looks like a lovely car but little out of my prize range, I will have a look at cheaper models.

Barr wrote: »
    I have an automatic Celica - decent economy and performance from the 1.8cc vvtli . 10 K would get you a nice one. They also have buttons on the steering wheel if you want to go manual mode :)

Thanks, I was actually looking for some celica's but couldn't find any, I will keep looking.

they are scarce enough - I had to import mine as I couldn't find a white one at the time with the tiptronic

This one looks ok

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200810188217501

they are scarce enough - I had to import mine as I couldn't find a white one at the time with the tiptronic

This one looks ok

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200810188217501[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

okay, we live only once... So if you whant automatic, go for it!

Your job is solid ( you mentioned before), you dont have problems with having a loan, and being in dept, so why not to get a car you whant.

Now i would still recomend to go for smallest loan you can afford, and make sure you still got some cash in pocket after buying a new Toy m8.

Now i dont like that... Why some poeple try to scaring the living S*it out of athers: " buying big engined car at this time! what you thinking about!, Dont spend money! keep it in a sock!". This is why this country is sinking depper.

If you know you got a solid ground, then get something in life that you really whant. Yuo will put some money in to rotation aswell m8.

"Flame shield UP"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Dont spend money! keep it in a sock!". This is why this country is sinking depper.

Yes, but for each actual person, it's good advice. The ideal would be for everyone but me to suddenly get confidence in the economy and start another boom, but I'd feel a right sh!t telling other people to fuel a boom, go on you will, when I won't because it'd be mad.

Advertisement