Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Hogans - Gone into voluntary liquidation

Options
  • 24-06-2009 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭

As the title says. Doors are shut.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

what every single one? as in across the country and all dealerships or just galway, even in galway they employed a lot of people, and there toyota bmw and lexus, they only just got the bmw as well.
    wow im shocked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Closed in Ennis too.

I posted this in Motors Forum too.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Gone in Clonmel aswell I do see the front door open but access to forecourt not allowed.

I assume the mechanics can collect their toolboxes and staff pick up personal belongings.

Shame isn't the first and won't be the last

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭mchammer

sgthighway wrote: »
    As the title says. Doors are shut.

can't believe it- that was an institution that place! what next for galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Think all 150 jobs gone including 40 in Galway. Announcement this morning to staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

mchammer wrote: »
    can't believe it- that was an institution that place! what next for galway?

A car auction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Tough business to be in this year.

Heard they had been losing sales staff all year, but I reckon they still had a lot of employees on the books.
    Big loss for the town jobwise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I do hope the Tánaiste and the media stage a press conference to annouce these employment losses seeing as they are in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

snubbleste wrote: »
    I do hope the Tánaiste and the media stage a press conference to annouce these employment losses seeing as they are in the area

Yeah I was listening to the news about Boston Scientific this morning (great news btw) and I'm sickened at the guaranteed presence of ministers at these events, claiming all the credit, whereas they will completely disclaim any responsibility for every mess they've created.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Will the bank have to auction off whatever second hands they have!? Anyone know about that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Is the service centre in Ballybane closed too? Woulda thought that would still be viable, after all people still need to get their cars services/repaired...

will the petrol pumps go aswell?

got my free health checkup there a while back.. guess i def wont be getting my quote done now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Will the bank have to auction off whatever second hands they have!? Anyone know about that?

In for the kill Wompa? you oul' vulture you! :pac: I was actually going to browse Hogan's this week, so I'll be circling overhead myself.

No joke re the jobs though. 40 is a lot, and we have to presume the car sales skillset doesn't transfer too readily in the current circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

I'm sickened at the guaranteed presence of ministers at these events, claiming all the credit, whereas they will completely disclaim any responsibility for every mess they've created.
    So true, the irony is that the Tom Hogan motors is literally across the road from Boston Scientific, two minutes walk if that. Any jobs gain totally wiped out. The politicians had to pass the place on the way out.

Jobs are not so secure in BSCI either, remember they closed the Donegal plant and my word on the inside says that they are changing shifts in order to save money with fewer lines running. A lot of the low level, low paid jobs there could be moved elsewhere quite easily. The majority of workers there are on rubbish money by whatever standard you apply but it's still considered to be expensive compared to other countries.

Creating 45 new jobs for graduates is fine. But most people need the ordinary jobs which are a lot harder to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

topper75 wrote: »
    In for the kill Wompa? you oul' vulture you! :pac: I was actually going to browse Hogan's this week, so I'll be circling overhead myself.

No joke re the jobs though. 40 is a lot, and we have to presume the car sales skillset doesn't transfer too readily in the current circumstances.

Lookin out for number 1. The guys in Hogans seemed really nice. One of the nicer car places from my limited experience. I have been in there looking around the last couple of months.

I've heard that other garages are given first option on the cars by the banks...so they can then bump up the price and screw us and thus complete the circle of lies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭galwaybob

Has anyone been in the dole office in town lately, the place must be gone nuts. It was busy enough during the boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Jesus. Thats a Galway institution. The petrol station too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

GalwayNews.ie is reporting that 70 people were employed there.

:(

I wonder if the petrol/diesel pumps will stay open. Surely they will - it was always one of the busier petrol stations in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

A sad day indeed , especially in my experiences of dealing with galway garages they were the best of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

So true, the irony is that the Tom Hogan motors is literally across the road from Boston Scientific, two minutes walk if that. Any jobs gain totally wiped out. The politicians had to pass the place on the way out.

Jobs are not so secure in BSCI either, remember they closed the Donegal plant and my word on the inside says that they are changing shifts in order to save money with fewer lines running. A lot of the low level, low paid jobs there could be moved elsewhere quite easily. The majority of workers there are on rubbish money by whatever standard you apply but it's still considered to be expensive compared to other countries.

Creating 45 new jobs for graduates is fine. But most people need the ordinary jobs which are a lot harder to find.

I was of the understanding that they ceased their manufacturing operations in Donegal but relocated the jobs to Galway.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0624/bostonscientific.html

• Advertisement

Who is minding the purse strings on these places. 10 years of a boom with unprecedented sales of over priced cars and a few months into a downturn and the whole lot is ****ed!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

Very sorry for all the people who are losing their jobs but...............

Around 2 years ago i walked into Tom Hogans with the intention to buy a brand new Toyota Corolla. Asked at reception to speak to someone about buying a new corolla & was asked to take a seat, which was directly in front of reception & right beside the display Corolla, and was told someone would be with me shortly. 50 minutes later after nobody coming near me i upped & left. 2 hours later i paid a deposit on a brand new car in motorpark.

Not saying my €23k would have saved the company today but i know of more people who have had the same level of service in the showrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

galwaybob wrote: »
    Who is minding the purse strings on these places. 10 years of a boom with unprecedented sales of over priced cars and a few months into a downturn and the whole lot is ****ed!

maybe their recent expansion stretched them too much, that was a LOT of stock tied up.

maybe looking down their noses at owners of 6 year old Toyotas & telling them to get their cars serviced elsewhere has come home to roost

I'm genuinely sorry for the decent people who've just lost their jobs, but I don't think the company's attitude to some potential customers helped their cause when times got tough.

( I don't, and never did, own a 6 year old toyota myself! but I do believe my sources)

I was of the understanding that they ceased their manufacturing operations in Donedal but relocated the jobs to Galway.
    Last time I drove from Galway to Donegal. It took me quite a few hours. Don't fancy that commute. How many people do you imagine relocated to Galway from Donegal? They might just as well have relocated to the moon. It's window dressing, corporate BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

xtradel wrote: »
    Very sorry for all the people who are losing their jobs but...............

Around 2 years ago i walked into Tom Hogans with the intention to buy a brand new Toyota Corolla. Asked at reception to speak to someone about buying a new corolla & was asked to take a seat, which was directly in front of reception & right beside the display Corolla, and was told someone would be with me shortly. 50 minutes later after nobody coming near me i upped & left. 2 hours later i paid a deposit on a brand new car in motorpark.

Not saying my €23k would have saved the company today but i know of more people who have had the same level of service in the showrooms.

Also extremely sorry also to hear about the folks losing their jobs. I had the same experience - I went in 3 seperate times to purchase a used car (about 5 yrs ago). Similar to xtradel, I was told each time that someone would be out to me in a few mins, but nobody bothered. Eventually I took my business elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

lads is the petrol station shut as well ?

I doubt it but I'll go and look shortly. Watch this space!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭cheekay

we bought a few cars from tom hogan motors over the years. I always fond the service excellent. Very helpful and friendly. Two friends of mine lost their jobs there this morning. Its a huge loss for the city

Mary Coughlan has some ****in neck showing up at that boston scientific announcement. When that same company were axing 150 jobs in her own home county of Donegal where the **** was she.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The company was placed into voluntary liquidation, not administration per thread title.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement