Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Hogans - Gone into voluntary liquidation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭mchammer

I doubt it but I'll go and look shortly. Watch this space!

Petrol station gone!!:o

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0624/tomhoganmotors.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

mchammer wrote: »

Weird. I thought he leased out the petrol station and shop. Must have had it wrong I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

Petrol station gone!!redface.gif
    Not true. I was there barely ten minutes ago. It's very much open for business, busy even. Remember the original piece was written by someone in Donnybrook, D4. What would he or she know. There was a film crew outside Hogan's though. They didn's seem to be having much luck. It's pretty quiet there.

Before you ask, no I didn't go specially to check just for you boards readers. I had to pass by the place anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

it didn't state in the rte piece where the petrol station was , could have been the one in ennis shannon or clonmel (i'm not sure of the lay out of those garages)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Will the bank have to auction off whatever second hands they have!? Anyone know about that?

i worked in the motor industry in the uk, and my brother worked for BMW for 12+ plus years

in situations like this, cars will be sold to other dealers in market to market sales, some cars may go back to factory, (possibly bmw), but unlikely as will have to be exported. even demonstrator cars will go to other dealers.

this is a big hit to the country and i agree who the hell has been holding the purse strings before the recession, they also got a bit above themselves when they got the BMW dealership last year,
    they got the deal with BMW, but were operating out of portakabins
    when BMW took dealership status from a set up showroom

mmm that alone says like they had a lot of talk in management,
    but couldnt walk the walk.

my pure heartfelt sympathy goes out to anyone who looses there
    living through this:(

• Advertisement

this is a big hit to the country and i agree who the hell has been holding the purse strings before the recession, they also got a bit above themselves when they got the BMW dealership last year,
    they got the deal with BMW, but were operating out of portakabins
    when BMW took dealership status from a set up showroom

I don't know can you really blame them, I mean operating your business on credit was the done thing in Ireland for the past 5 or so years, encouraged at every level from the government to the banks to Mr. and Mrs. Doe.

By the sounds of it they were given the BMW dealership as the existing dealership was losing customers by the boatload due to bad customer service. From what i understand it was more an opportunist thing than any long term plan on behalf of Hogan or BMW. Then of course the credit crunch happened and there would have been no way to finance another showroom.

Sympathies to all those who lost their jobs. They were one of the better garages around town it seemed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

galwaybob wrote: »
    Who is minding the purse strings on these places. 10 years of a boom with unprecedented sales of over priced cars and a few months into a downturn and the whole lot is ****ed!

There is a lot of baggage that comes with being a dealership. Manufacturers demand certain standards, such as always having a minimum x amount of stock, certain size show rooms (usually requiring new buildings) and buying the companies in house diagnostic software. It's not as difficult as you might think to hit the wall if you based your cost of acquiring a brand dealership based on projected car sales over a number of years. If sales take a hit a year or 2 into your projection you're still left with massive costs associated with maintaining the brand. I don't know the in's and outs of this dealer but if he had several brands to look after then the costs could very well get on top of him in a very short time if he's not selling cars.

By the sounds of it they were given the BMW dealership as the existing dealership was losing customers by the boatload due to bad customer service. From what i understand it was more an opportunist thing than any long term plan on behalf of Hogan or BMW. Then of course the credit crunch happened and there would have been no way to finance another showroom.

Barry Motors didnt hit sales and after sales targets, Tom Hogan went in
    and presented a package to BMW for dealership.
    being in trade for a while and having my brother work for BMW, i can tell you BMW would not have been happy they have been operating out of portakabins for over a year, and the deal they struck with BMW,
    they would have had to show facts and figures on there finances to gain
    Dealship status, which they couldnt in reality backup, or why the portakabins.
    just seems like they have been talking big, without any backup in the kitty

i so so so feel for the staff loosing there living, and selfish as this sounds
    im so so glad they didnt have any sales executive, or sales manager vacancies in the last year both myself and my brother have been looking.
    i hope it hits the fat cat managers hard, but thats not usually the way:(

Barry Motors didnt hit sales and after sales targets, Tom Hogan went in
    and presented a package to BMW for dealership.
    being in trade for a while and having my brother work for BMW, i can tell you BMW would not have been happy they have been operating out of portakabins for over a year, and the deal they struck with BMW,
    they would have had to show facts and figures on there finances to gain
    Dealship status, which they couldnt in reality backup, or why the portakabins.
    just seems like they have been talking big, without any backup in the kitty

Are you suggesting Hogan wouldn't have shown facts and figures before getting the dealership?

earth to ukgalwaymcguire... there is a credit crunch! They got the dealership just prior to the credit crunch hitting home. All of their figures would have been next to useless like everyone elses. Their previous business plan would have been in ruins in the space of about 3 months.

lets all blame the fat cats. that'll make things better...

ermm yes lets blame them
    cos where the fook is the money they have gained in previous years
    this is not going too effect them, this will effect the people on average
    salarys trying too earn a living
    yes blame the fat cats , they will still be sitting in there big houses
    driving there big cars, and if they do have to change there lifestyle
    that will only be in line with the average person anyway.
    so earth too leninbenjamin that is reality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Meh. You reap what you sow - I could never deal with them.

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭mr_disc

So did they have the BMW dealership ?, I think it was taken away from MotorPark .

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭jigsaw07

dec25532 wrote: »
    Think all 150 jobs gone including 40 in Galway. Announcement this morning to staff.

i heard on the wireless it was 70 jobs gone in galway alone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I only visited once in '07 I was looking at a new Lexus IS220D,I found them friendly and professional.

I was offered a good deal but didn't buy cos I didn't really like the car.

Sorry for the folks who've lost their jobs.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

I tried buying a car for cash 2 years ago, no trade in

Guy was only interested in selling me finance even though i had the cash. Was very insistent on finance. I said good luck.

No interest what so ever in selling me a car - thats my only experience of Tom Hogans.

Sad about people losing jobs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭tonedef

i worked in the motor industry in the uk, and my brother worked for BMW for 12+ plus years

in situations like this, cars will be sold to other dealers in market to market sales, some cars may go back to factory, (possibly bmw), but unlikely as will have to be exported. even demonstrator cars will go to other dealers.

What other BMW dealer would want them in this economic climate??
    I can see a big clear out auction myself, like the one they had at the end of last year. Some really good bargains at it from what I heard. My sisters bf was very happy with the car he bought at it anyway.

Shame to see Hogan's go though. I never heard anything but good things about them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Are you suggesting Hogan wouldn't have shown facts and figures before getting the dealership?

There was about one year between Barry being told they lost it and Hogan opening the BMW dealership last July , perhaps even more .

I have seen one 09 Beemer in Galway , the place is flooded with near new UK 07 and 08 imports of course . I would think they might have sold 20 new beemers since they opened a year back .

From Google Cache of their website .

Press Release

David Hogan, Chairman Tom Hogan Motors, John Lawlor, BMW Network Strategy Manager and Paul Hogan B.Com FCA, Director Tom Hogan Motors
    Tom Hogan: Newly Appointed BMW & MINI dealer for Galway.

22/07/2008

Tom Hogan Motors is delighted to announce that their new BMW and MINI showroom located in Ballybrit, Galway is now open for business.

Located next door to the existing Tom Hogan showroom, this new temporary BMW & MINI dealership is fully equipped to meet the high standards which BMW customers have come to expect.

Tom Hogan has more than thirty years experience in the car industry, having built their reputation on delivering exceptional levels of customer service across all their sales and aftersales departments and they intend to continue this ethos through to the new BMW & MINI business.

The new Tom Hogan BMW and MINI showroom facility will provide a full range of services from new and used car sales for both BMW and MINI, Corporate Sales, Finance as well as a fully equipped BMW & MINI authorised workshop for all aftersales requirements, including warranty.

From 1st October 2008 Tom Hogan Motors will be the only authorised BMW & MINI sales dealers in Galway City and County.

Tom Hogan Motors look forward to welcoming all customers to the new BMW & MINI dealership in Ballybrit, Galway where you can meet the team and experience for yourself the exceptional level of customer service you can always rely on Tom Hogan to deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I am ex motor trade & have worked with BMW for many years including setting up new dealerships. I have also been involved in mystery shopping programs & I can guarantee that Hogans will not be the last.

During the "tiger" years every dealer sat back & waited for you to beg them to sell you a car. One senior Galway motor executive told me recently that "We have rather ignored the little man".

I recently collected some accessories for a friend. No one asked for my name. No one checked if I was on their customer record system. If I am buying specific parts then it may be because I own that brand & I could be in the market for a replacement but they will never know as they could not be bothered to ask.

I have watched "Order Takers" (sorry but I have never met a car salesperson in Ireland) look at someone in their showroom as if they are dirtying the new carpet.

During the 80's recession, in the UK, BMW increased it's sales. It is not a bad time to sell cars but one has to get off one's arse as no one is going to walk into your showroom.

The idea that any half competant business man could not see this recession coming is rediculous. Hogan's must of creamed off millions during the boom. The strange thing is that BMW seem not to of qualified Hogan's finances.

I would genuinely recommend any car salesperson to join a top sales oriented company, outside of the trade, & learn how to sell.

Now, if anyone reading this is planning on going for the BMW franchise in Galway, I might be prepared to be your Sales Director for no salary & just a straight percentage of GP !.

All businesses need to accept that they have neglected potential customers & it will not be so easy to win them back. If some of the techs want to get together & open a multifranchise service centre - you will make a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

I don't want to sound like a heartless prick, it's really sad that people have lost their jobs, but there's a recession on and people are trying to save money. With that in mind what's going to happen to the stock? Will it just be auctioned off to other dealerships or will the public be able to get a look in?

They paid a lot of money for the right to sell expensive cars just as the recession was kicking in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭mr_disc

KerranJast wrote: »
    what's going to happen to the stock? Will it just be auctioned off to other dealerships or will the public be able to get a look in?

When they showed the story on the news (RTE) it showed a few cars they had and on them was displayed "Property of Bank Of Ireland Finance" !!

mr_disc wrote: »
    When they showed the story on the news (RTE) it showed a few cars they had and on them was displayed "Property of Bank Of Ireland Finance" !!

SHAME LOL
    sorry but i agree i have NEVER come across a sales exec in ireland NEVER
    order takers is a truly apt description.
    when i think of the courses BMW send there execs on.
    weeks in bloody berkshire... i didnt see any evidence of that.

might help if car dealers DIDNT charge 3 times the price of a car compared to the uk, thoose irish plates should be solid gold not white

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    There was about one year between Barry being told they lost it and Hogan opening the BMW dealership last July , perhaps even more .

oh right. obviously the sub-prime thing which was only really figured out to be as big a problem as it was in late 2007 would have had no bearing there. Afterall, Barry only lost it in... uh... 2007.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

O God no. Sure Frank Fahey told them the sub prime crisis would be over by christmas and that Ireland had no sub prime and that Galway was different anyway . So Hogans upped and got themselves a BMW dealership .

A collapse in Toyota sales did not help , they were down 70% on 2006/2007/2008 type levels as were Lexus and Bmw.

Toyota wasted no time cleaning their map up

http://www.toyota.ie/toyota-dealers/map/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Most of the stock will be owned by whichever finance company provides their stocking plan. Their new car allocation will re reassigned to other dealers. The administrators will decide how the remaining stock is sold but usually it is sold at auction.

Last night I spoke to a very wealthy lady who called in to them a few weeks ago with her 30 year old son. She has a BMW convertible & was interested in a new one. She told me that the salesman kept talking to her son even though he said that the car was not for him. Eventually she gave up & bought one in Belfast.

Hogan's may of made history as I can't recall a BMW dealer ever going bust. Car sales may be down but the main profit centre is servicing. Strangely Barry Motors ran ads offering warranty servicing after Hogan's took over.

People have not stopped buying cars but they are delaying buying & they are now becoming aware of the Irish rip off. There is still a huge amount of money in Galway & all the dealers have to do is provide excellent service with genuine value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Discodog wrote: »

Strangely Barry Motors ran ads offering warranty servicing after Hogan's took over.

Yea strangely Barry Motors continued to be(and still are)an authorised BMW/MINI service garage

Seven Worlds will Collide

haven't heard the best about their service..

i got my free health check and was made feel like a nuisance, yes it's a 19yr old bmw but it's still a bmw.. so they give me the health check, the lad shows me the list (nothing on it really thank god) and he says the girl will ring me with a quote for the work to be done.

they never rang.. the only reason they give the free health-check is to get business for servicing but instead they gave me a free check and never rang back. pretty stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

A crankcase breather filter for my BMW was about 54euro when I used to buy it in Barry's (Still a lot more expensive than BMW places in Dublin, let's not even mention the UK...) and went up to 70euro when I went to buy it in Hogans - I was a bit disgusted but needed the filter ASAP so bought it, but vowed that in future i'd just buy any BMW specific parts either from a dealer in the UK or Dublin

Sorry to hear of people that lost their job, guess David Hogan may be looking to sell his 50% share in his boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭forumfiend

Discodog wrote: »
    Hogan's may of made history as I can't recall a BMW dealer ever going bust.

I may be wrong about this but I believe it happened right here in Galway. Ashe Motors were BMW and Nissan dealers and they closed in the late 1980s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭forumfiend

Just passed Tom Hogan's there a few minutes ago and there are two transporters lined up outside. All the new cars are gone except the ones in the showroom. Sad to see. I slightly know the MD (who is not the owner, btw) and he is a genuine bloke.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement