Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rapidshare in German Court

Options
  • 24-06-2009 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭

http://torrentfreak.com/rapidshare-fined-34-million-and-ordered-to-filter-content-090624/
    The Regional Court in Hamburg, Germany, has ruled that file-hosting service Rapidshare must proactively filter certain content. Music industry outfit GEMA asked the court to ban Rapidshare from making 5,000 tracks from its catalogue available on the Internet. The court obliged and fined Rapidshare $34 million.

:/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

i hope this doesn't affect rapidshare's service :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

rapidshare.de

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

rapidshare.de
    And that matters why?

This whole thing is a joke, a big company get's fined every 2 weeks or so, and that just proves how ineffective it is.

This will never go away. Hooray!

It matters because they are not the same company!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

It matters because they are not the same company!!!

How do you know it's the .de site and not the .com site?

EDIT:

Court rules against German file-sharing site
    Finds Rapidshare.com violates copyright law

By Scott Roxborough

June 23, 2009, 01:41 PM ET
    COLOGNE, Germany -- A German state court on Tuesday found file-sharing site Rapidshare.com guilty of violation of German copyright law and set damages at about €24 million ($34 million).

In what could prove a key precedent, the court found Rapidshare, and by extension similar file-sharing sites, bear principle responsibility for ensuring copyright-protected material is not illegally posted on their servers.

The ruling was a major victory for German collection agency GEMA, which had brought the suit against Rapidshare for allowing some 5,000 protected music titles to be posted on their site.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/technology/news/e3i235a6a3dbc3c186611eafd877858b3a1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

How do you know it's the .de site and not the .com site?

EDIT:

Court rules against German file-sharing site
    Finds Rapidshare.com violates copyright law

By Scott Roxborough

June 23, 2009, 01:41 PM ET
    COLOGNE, Germany -- A German state court on Tuesday found file-sharing site Rapidshare.com guilty of violation of German copyright law and set damages at about €24 million ($34 million).

In what could prove a key precedent, the court found Rapidshare, and by extension similar file-sharing sites, bear principle responsibility for ensuring copyright-protected material is not illegally posted on their servers.

The ruling was a major victory for German collection agency GEMA, which had brought the suit against Rapidshare for allowing some 5,000 protected music titles to be posted on their site.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/technology/news/e3i235a6a3dbc3c186611eafd877858b3a1
    Old news, I posted the PROOF both are different companies

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Rapid share is a party that can't go on.

watty wrote: »

Rapidshare remove copyrighted content once reported to them by the owner so they are working fully within the law, anyways as I pointed out above Rapidtec (German Rapidshare) are the ones in trouble, Rapidshare AG (Swiss ones) are the main popular rapidshare company, who are not involved in this case.
    Should newsgroups be banned?, or even torrents, no, as they as with file hosts have legal uses, Rapidshare have and always had a policy of removing illegal content once brought to their attention, there is plenty of legal content on rapidshare, even if its mostly used to circulate copyright material, same goes for torrents also..

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Old news, I posted the PROOF both are different companies

Nick

I did not say they were the same company. I was wondering why MunsterCycling knew it was RapidShare.de was the company being referred to in the original post as the article it linked to did not say which one it was. I then did a search and the article I linked to said it was RapidShare.com. And your proof adds to this since the first article also quotes:
    Bobby Chang, COO of RapidShare, Switzerland

German courts can rule all they want, rapidshare.com operates out of Switzerland and unless I'm mistaken that's a seperate country!

MC

• Advertisement

German courts can rule all they want, rapidshare.com operates out of Switzerland and unless I'm mistaken that's a seperate country!

MC

So this is why you think its RapidShare.de?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Have to agree with this, Rapidshare will die a death in time

You can't continue to be lax and host copyright content, everyone knows if you take copyright material off of rapidshare then you affectively remove the vast majority of its content

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭j2dab

Cabaal wrote: »
    Have to agree with this, Rapidshare will die a death in time

A very sad day...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

But won't the other ones just pick up the slack megaupload, megashares.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

aye, no harm done ;) (for now)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

j2dab wrote: »
    A very sad day...

No sadder then when Napster died, sure everyone liked it but at the end of the day you can't profit from copyright violation and expect that nobody will go after you in a court of law

(money made from ad impressions, impressions are caused by people using the service and alot of users use it for copyright martial as such a percentage is down to copyright violations)
    But won't the other ones just pick up the slack megaupload, megashares.

Again rinse and repeat with any other companys that decide to take up the slack

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

I too agree that Rapidshare can't continue to operate as it does, because as has been said remove the copyrighted material and that's basically it left totally empty.
    Yes it would be sad to see Rapidshare go, I myself have downloaded several terabytes off it over the last 3 or so years. But like any other service something else will rise in it's place, megashares.com seems to be the one that most migrated to upon the change of the 50GB per 5 day period earlier this year. It might take a while but it'll happen. :rolleyes:

z0oT wrote: »
    I too agree that Rapidshare can't continue to operate as it does, because as has been said remove the copyrighted material and that's basically it left totally empty.
    Yes it would be sad to see Rapidshare go, I myself have downloaded several terabytes off it over the last 3 or so years. But like any other service something else will rise in it's place, megashares.com seems to be the one that most migrated to upon the change of the 50GB per 5 day period earlier this year. It might take a while but it'll happen. :rolleyes:

If any file host would go I'd say megashares would be more likely as it appears to be a US based organisation, Afaik though once file hosts remove reported content, they are complying to the DMCA act and therefore are acting legally in the states and I'm sure across the board also

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Thread title modified, since they weren't actually fined at all.

I've always thought Rapidshare were always been very quick to remove reported content, so it's hard to see why they could be in court. I guess it's like the Youtube cases, the content owners want them to pro-actively remove content, which flies in the face of what these sites were set up to do in the first place. It would be impossible for them to monitor every single upload, so they rely on receiving reports, and then remove such content, if necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

Slightly OT, but has anybody heard of individuals getting in trouble for d/ling copyrighted files off of Rapidshare?
    Still slightly paranoid about a site that has your personal details (if you pay) and also knowing you d/l copyrighted material...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

crisco10 wrote: »
    Still slightly paranoid about a site that has your personal details (if you pay) and also knowing you d/l copyrighted material...

Don't do it then. Even without personal details, they'll have your IP logged, and you can be traced through that.

crisco10 wrote: »
    Slightly OT, but has anybody heard of individuals getting in trouble for d/ling copyrighted files off of Rapidshare?

None. Not even any cases against uploaders either i dont think, Rapidshare.de got in trouble earlier this year (different company) due to a leaked metalica album or something, not heard of any trouble people using the .com one yet

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Alright lads, slightly off topic (but rapidshare related), but anyone know when forumw will be back online, or can you recommend another similar good forum. Apologies if this is in the worng place.

Advertisement