Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

React to hazards

• 24-06-2009 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Doing my test again on Tuesday, the first time I did it I failed automatically due to competency on the reversing around the corner. I also had four grade 2 in a row for reaction to Hazards. Was just wondering if someone could please explain to me what this section is with regards to? I haven't started to freak out just yet. Anyone have good tips for Churchtown? Just getting the one lesson on the Monday. Hopefully that will be enough. This test has cost me so much already!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

Reaction to Hazards is a very broad category but basically comes down to how well you read the road ahead and anticipate the actions of other road users (incl pedestrians, loose dogs etc!!).

Some common reasons for faults would be :
    • failing to slow down adequately for speed ramps
    • stopping suddenly if traffic lights go amber as you approach
    • failing to slow down, adjust position etc due to potential hazards such as children playing on the side of the road, dog or other animals
    • going too fast into a 'tight' situation - for example on a narrow road with parked cars you need to anticipate what any oncoming traffic will do even if you have right of way.
    The following is taken from the Marking Guidelines - it is not a complete list, just examples. As you can see they are many and varied!

Good luck with the test!

Examples of ‘React’ faults include:

(a)
    Where an applicant is driving towards parked vehicles on the left, and does not move out in good

time to pass them.

(b)
    Where an applicant meets an oncoming vehicle which is in the process of overtaking, and the

applicant does not slow or stop as necessary, to allow the oncoming vehicle to pass by.

(c)
    Where an applicant’s vision is diverted down to the controls for an extended period.

(d)
    Where an applicant brakes hard on an amber light when the vehicle should properly have carried

on.

(e)
    Where an applicant drives into, or causes, or contributes unnecessarily to a ‘bottleneck’.

(f)
    Where an applicant intends to turn from a major road into a minor or narrow road, and obliges a

vehicle which intends to emerge from that road to reverse out of the way.

(g)
    Where an applicant is in a line of overtaking vehicles, and follows through blindly.

(h)
    Where an applicant is approaching children who may be playing, or pedestrians, and does not

show anticipation.

(i)
    Where an applicant is approaching animals and does not show anticipation.

(j)
    Where an applicant approaches traffic lights which have been green for some time, and does not

show anticipation.

(k)
    Where an applicant makes exaggerated use of the mirror(s) which distracts from forward

observation.

(l)
    Where an applicant makes exaggerated/unnecessary observations to the side or rear, which

distracts from forward observation.

(m)
    Where an applicant is on a slip-road, and intends to join a dual-carriageway, and stops

unnecessarily.

(n)
    Where an applicant splashes pedestrians with surface water.

(o)
    Where an applicant is turning right and misreads the intention of another oncoming road user who

is also turning right, and causes unnecessary obstruction.

(p)
    Where an applicant’s forward visibility is restricted by condensation.

(q)
    Where an applicant stops unnecessarily when e.g. turning left onto a slip lane by misreading the

main lights.

(r)
    Where an applicant has commenced to turn at traffic lights and stops unnecessarily when part way

through, on seeing the red light for the other road.
    (s) Where an applicant does not react correctly to speed ramps.

Advertisement