Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is natural medicine being suppressed?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭samson09

2Scoops wrote: »
    I would like to see a single example of a natural remedy with proven efficacy for flu treatment that has been stamped down on by the FDA.

How about elderberry extract?
    "A small study published five years ago showed that 93% of flu patients given Sambucol were completely symptom-free within two days; those taking a placebo recovered in about six days. However, the study took place during an outbreak of influenza B -- so it was unclear whether Sambucol worked with type A virus.

This current study shows that, indeed, it works for type A flu, reports lead researcher Erling Thom, with the University of Oslo in Norway.

Thom's findings were presented at the 15th Annual Conference on Antiviral Research in 2002. The study has been accepted for publication in the Journal of International Medical Research.

The study involved 60 patients who had been suffering with flu symptoms for 48 hours or less; 90% were infected with the A strain of the virus, 10% were infected with type B. Half the group took 15 milliliters of Sambucol or and the other group took a placebo four times a day for five days.

Patients in the Sambucol group had "pronounced improvements" in flu symptoms after three days: Nearly 90% of patients had complete cure within two to three days. Also, the Sambucol group had no drowsiness, the downside of many flu treatments.

The placebo group didn't recover until at least day six; they also took more painkillers and nasal sprays.

It's likely that antioxidants called flavonoids -- which are contained in the extract -- stimulate the immune system, writes Thom. Also, other compounds in elderberry, called anthocyanins, have an anti-inflammatory effect; this could explain the effect on aches, pains, and fever.

Elderberry extract could be an "efficient and safe treatment" for flu symptoms in otherwise healthy people and for those with compromised immune systems, such as the elderly, Thom adds".

Source:
    http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/news/20031222/elderberry-fights-flu-symptoms

Although I cant provide you with a case where this extract in particular has been "stamped down upon", I can tell you that it is currently illegal in America to try to sell this product to people and claim that it is a safe and proven remedy for influenza. You will be shut down immediately and persecuted for selling a herbal extract that may help someone.

It's just so terrible, I can't believe people are dying and information like this is being kept from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,343 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

samson09 wrote: »
    Although I cant provide you with a case where this extract in particular has been "stamped down upon", I can tell you that it is currently illegal in America to try to sell this product to people and claim that it is a safe and proven remedy for influenza. You will be shut down immediately and persecuted for selling a herbal extract that may help someone.
    Because it's illegal to make claims that you can't back up or to sell a non approved drug.

samson09 wrote: »
    It's just so terrible, I can't believe people are dying and information like this is being kept from them.
    As opposed to the people who would die if drugs weren't being regulated?

But this article is about a mild flu.
    The control group who didn't get the substance didn't die. They were fine after six days.
    Withholding this information (and it's not being withheld as you've just posted a news article about it) would not lead to any deaths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭Ronanc1

surely we can get this thread moved to the biology forum and have everyone there tear jake1 and samson09 apart

for an excellent read on the vitamin movement and complete snakeoil salesmen like Matthias_Rath id suggest Ben goldacres book "bad science", itll certainly be wasted on diehards like jake and samson but im sure youll enjoy it king mob his website is also equaly enjoyable

<abuse removed by bonkey - Ronanc1 banned for one week.>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,343 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Ronanc1 wrote: »

id suggest Ben goldacres book "bad science", itll certainly be wasted on diehards like jake and samson but im sure youll enjoy it king mob his website is also equaly enjoyable

Haven't read his book yet.
    But I am a fan. Follow him on twitter and everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭Ronanc1

on twitter cool, must check that out :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

i have a rock for sale that keeps away tigers....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

bleg wrote: »

Yellow card for trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭samson09

bleg wrote: »

I'll give you 50 big ones for it (is it the same model that works on bears?)

;)

Here's an offer for you...I have some Tamiflu for sale that keeps away H1N1...oh wait a minute, maybe it doesnt?

"June 29 (Bloomberg) -- Roche Holding AG said a swine flu patient treated with its Tamiflu drug in Denmark showed resistance to the antiviral medicine for the first time.
    The patient was given a low dose of Tamiflu preventively after coming in contact with someone infected with the H1N1 pandemic virus, said David Reddy, who heads Roche’s influenza task force. The person developed flu symptoms and was found to have a virus mutation that evaded the drug, Reddy said on a conference call today......."

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601085&sid=an3udfKwF4Do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

pfft, my emergency stock of tamiflu is safetly stowed in the medicine cabinet and not a sign of swine flu near me or my family! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Lads, c'mon.

I shouldnt have to say more than that should I? Rhetorical btw.

• Advertisement
Advertisement