Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cask Conditioned O'Hara's Red in the Bull and Castle.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

The bottle is incredibly dissapointing, In fact it tastes more like a pilsner in some ways than a wheat beer. The last time I tried it I was doing a wheat beer taste test and both of us poured ours down the drain.
    It is not terrible from the bottle, just not worth drinking if you have another wheat beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Saruman wrote: »
    The bottle is incredibly dissapointing.

Yea me too, hope to get to try the cask on Friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭wobzilla

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    The fella in the off license was telling me about some Russian stout. I couldn't really remember what he was saying though.

probably russian imperial stout. it's generally darker and more coffeeish (that a word ?) than dry stout. I've a batch of homebrew imperial conditioning at the minute

wobzilla wrote: »
    probably russian imperial stout. it's generally darker and more coffeeish (that a word ?) than dry stout. I've a batch of homebrew imperial conditioning at the minute

An a hell of a lot bigger and bitter too. I have two kegs of 10% IRS aging at home:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Where in Dublin does this Russian stuff then ? Redmonds I assume, anywhere else ? Molloys in Nutgrove is a disgrace, no O'Hara's :eek: :pac:

• Advertisement

Where in Dublin does this Russian stuff then ?

Not a whole lot really, Redmonds/ Deveney's Dundrum may have Brooklyn brewery Black Chocolate Stout or maybe brewdog paradox . In a similar ball park there is Baltika 6 a Baltic porter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Where in Dublin does this Russian stuff then ? Redmonds I assume, anywhere else ? Molloys in Nutgrove is a disgrace, no O'Hara's :eek: :pac:
    You'll get it in Tesco in the shopping centre if you want it, else superquinn in ballinteer is nearby too. If you're in that vicinity though you should really go to Deveneys in dundrum

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

And that's the O'Hara's Kenmc's talking about, not the Russian Imperial Stout. I think. I'd have noticed if Tesco or Superquinn sold imperial stout.

Yeah, Brooklyn Black Chocolate is about the best imperial stout available in Ireland. Not seen Paradox in ages, but Rip Tide on which it's based is available in DrinkStore on Manor Street, so presumably other places too.

Paradox is usually available in Oddbins. Perhaps churchtown is closest to you Alan?
    Will have to try some riptide next time I get to drinkstore.

Saruman wrote: »
    Paradox is usually available in Oddbins. Perhaps churchtown is closest to you Alan?
    Will have to try some riptide next time I get to drinkstore.

Churchtown is doable I'd say :)
    I must take a trip to this Redmonds place. Still not been....

What are the prices like ? There's an off license near me that does O'Hara's bottles for €2.95. Does anyone know how much the Russian Imperial stout usually goes for ?

Cheers :)

• Advertisement

I bought a load of Brooklyn Black Chocolate in Holland's of Bray because it was marked as €2.50 on the shelf -- mistakenly I reckon. The till decided it was €3.70, which would be more realistic. Rip Tide is €3.80 in DrinkStore.

Does anyone know how much the Russian Imperial stout usually goes for ?

Brooklyn Black Chocolate usually goes for 3.50 of a 33cl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

I have a bit of inside knowledge on Tramco, I was installing some woodwork in Days in Hotel yesterday next door to Tramco. Its re-opening tomorrow night. They're brewing their own beers, sort of like the Porter House, had a list of them on the table. Dearg Ale - 4.6%! and 3 others. There was loads of flyers about the place, should be a good few free jars going. The beer garden out the back is huge and had barrels stacked 3 stories high looks like a wharf. Looks like it should be good, there was laods of lads working there, putting up a huge screen in the back. Havn't been there much in the last year or so but used to love the place. It could be back onto a winner, looks funnyish inside but cool too.

Got an aul few bottles of O'Hara's stout in Superquinns for €2.79 a bottle. Not too shabby. My local offie does em for just under €3. I'd prefer it it was cheaper but it's classed as a much more "premium" beer than others I think.

I'm going to see if my local shop will get them in. They've a few others (Sam Adams, Moosehead, Paulanner, Erdinger, Spaten etc.) so fingers crossed :D

I also got a bottle of this while I was in Superquinn :

e0ce9fc7420e414d9db33e7989b83c2b_thumb.jpg

€1.90. Not really that fantastic enough to shift to it. I also got a scummy can of Tennents for 1.25 idn_smilie_5.gif

Cormdogg wrote: »
    They're brewing their own beers
    Is there an actual brewery there that you saw?

That is great news, nice to see Dublin is getting another brewpub* and it is a good location too, Rathmines is a cool area.

*Or at least pub that sells their own beer like Porterhouse.

I went to that "new" Tramco Brewery. Rubbish in my opinion.

€5 for their house stout, "mizzin stout" or something. They'd no red and I didn't look at the others. I think they were offering a taster but my friend just got us two pints (served in collins glasses not yr "regular" pint glasses). I really didn't like the stout at all. I don't know how to describe it, I thought it was bitter I suppose. Kinda had a "sharp" taste to it. Left after one drink and wonm't be going back.

The decor is cheesy, everyone working there is a woman of about mid-20s with a ton of make up on and they're wearing some kind of stupid orange dungarees with black stenciled words on them...

Didn't like the setup at all. They only had their house brews and the "usuals" . No other Irish beers that I could see.

I wounder who is brewing from them?
    I think they were offering a taster but my friend just got us two pints (served in collins glasses not yr "regular" pint glasses). .

Weights and measure may have issue with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Is there a cask on at the mo in the B & C?...
    Anyone know if there'll be one on at the weekend?

• Advertisement

slayerking wrote: »
    Is there a cask on at the mo in the B & C?...
    It's been Cask O'Hara's Stout recently. Still there yesterday. Served a bit warm, IMO, but still nice.
    slayerking wrote: »
    Anyone know if there'll be one on at the weekend?
    I'd say there will be. Next up is supposedly Rebel Red, so probably that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Cheers BN, Thats good to hear.... :)

Great to see good cask beer readily available, the B & C seem to have hit the ground running with it which is great. Fair play to them.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Served a bit warm

It was a little to warm, great to try though

New cask today: Carlow Malty Bitches, a bitter.

Should be interesting on how it compares to the porterhouse TSB?

I don't think I've ever had a bitter. My instincts are telling me I wouldn't like it though. Dunno why. All I know is it's quite popular on Coronation St :p

All I know is it's quite popular on Coronation St :p

An they should all be drinking mild, traitors to their working class northern roots:p:P

I don't think I've ever had a bitter.

London pride, , Boddington's, Fullers ESB, Adnams Broadside, Shepherd Neame Bishop's Finger/spitfire, Black sheep to name but a few

oblivious wrote: »
    London pride, , Boddington's, Fullers ESB, Adnams Broadside, Shepherd Neame Bishop's Finger/spitfire, Black sheep to name but a few

London pride is a pale ale* according to its label and Bishops finger is its own style Kentish strong ale
    Bishops Finger has been awarded Protective Geographic Indicator status by the European Union, which means it is the only beer in the world which can be called a Kentish strong ale.

Fullers Chiswick bitter is a good example of a bitter as well as the Hook Norton bitters.

Don't worry Alan, Bitters are not all that bitters and they are classic Ale styles. There are so many that there is bound to be one you like. They are not nearly as bitter (usually) as an IPA like Galway Hooker.

*I suppose technically a bitter in a bottle is a pale ale

• Advertisement

I don't think I've ever had a bitter. My instincts are telling me I wouldn't like it though. Dunno why.
    They do vary a lot: not liking one bitter is no guarantee you won't like the next one, and vice versa. The Porterhouse have a bitter on permanently in Temple Bar, Central and North, called TSB.
    An they should all be drinking mild, traitors to their working class northern roots:p:P
    :D The Coronation Street bitter that J.W. Lees make isn't very good, IMO.
    But most of those show up in bottles or cans here. I will succeed in my plan to ban the use of the descriptor "bitter" for bottled beers. I will.

Advertisement