Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TEST DRIVE

• 24-06-2009 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭

I'm currently heading down to a garage tnite where i'm in interested in a ford focus.
    Is there anything i should keep an eye out when doing the test ,apart from the obviouse..steering,smooth transaction, gears etc ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

What year?

From my 04 Mk1 experience - make sure it's getting into reverse cleanly, locking works on all doors, no whine from the steering on full lock. Also make sure that the sunroof works as it should if fitted.

Sold mine in the end because of the locking and a dodgy sunroof. My friend has had problems getting reverse on his and noise from the steering pump, but generally these cars are tough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Dylan69

05 Ford Focus LX

I had actually told the garage that i would like to see a price reduction if anything fails to my satisfaction or even walk away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

If you are not mechanically minded best get someone who is to go with you. You can do the bodywork yourself, check paint is even, no colour variations, stand well back an look at it. Check for even panel gaps, smooth flanks (get down low and look down the side of the car for imperfections). Look in boot under mat for evidence of crash damage, same at the front. Check all the buttons and switches work, leaks, wet spots in the engine bay. I am sure there is lots more.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

Check that the brake warning light comes on (the ! sign) when you lift the handbrake, as this can be a flaw, although not serious enough to affect a sale. Also make sure the car doesn't roll on a hill and that the handbrake fully engages, as this was a problem on mine, albeit my experience has otherwise been hassle-free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Google "How to buy a used car" and you'll find a load of guides.

Have a look at a few, they all pretty much say the same thing though.

Drive it and see if you like it. If you're getting close to buying it, get someone who knows what they're doing to look it over for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

I'd check that the central locking is working to begin with. This can be a bit temperamental on focuses. Listen out for any wheel bearing noise, I've had to replace 2 on mine. Not the biggest job in the world, but still. Had to change the clutch on mine at 90k miles, so check out clutch wear as well. Thats about all I can think of apart from the usual checks for damage, etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

You can check all the small functional bits youreself. Heating, aircon, seats all adjust, seat belts all work, windows all work, lights all work and adjust, wipers work and spit out water, radio/speakers work, boot opens/closes normally same with fuel cap, the boot is in decent condition with no puddles of water and other stuff that I can't think of.

The look of the car is a good one too. Someone already mentioned that. Paint and colour along with dents or patchy paint work. See if any of the bumpers are loose. If they are it can be normal but it might let you see behind the bumper to any damage.

Then bring someone who knows their stuff about cars. Even then it can be pot luck sometimes :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Kartale

Dylan69 wrote: »
    05 Ford Focus LX

I had actually told the garage that i would like to see a price reduction if anything fails to my satisfaction or even walk away.

You are being very negative here IMO. This should be a positive experience, you are going to spend quite a sum of your own money , but you are indicating that you expect to be something wrong before you even see the car. If you have this feeling look at another.
    i am sure that if you have any queries or reservations about the car after test drive & inspection , the garage would only be too happy to rectify them if they want to sell.
    dont go with "im being ripped off attitude". you may find it a pleasant experience and you may even be looked after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Kartale wrote: »
    You are being very negative here IMO. This should be a positive experience, you are going to spend quite a sum of your own money , but you are indicating that you expect to be something wrong before you even see the car. If you have this feeling look at another.
    i am sure that if you have any queries or reservations about the car after test drive & inspection , the garage would only be too happy to rectify them if they want to sell.
    dont go with "im being ripped off attitude". you may find it a pleasant experience and you may even be looked after

This a good point, despite what you hear around here this does not have to be a battle between you and the dealer, be clear and assertive with them but not confrontational, know your bottom line and do you price research. With a good rapport you are far more likely to get a good deal and good follow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Dylan69

Kartale wrote: »

I hope so, i had done my research, many late nights and discussion with the wife!!! I'm just not "mechanical minded" confident wholly that the car is 100% perfect...that all...most car aint but its about getting the right feel!!!

Thanks apprecaite. Do you think the dealer would be offended if i brought the list i printed off the "How to buy a used car" checklist during the test drive???:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I know I wouldn't, I'd actually appreciate it.

a) it gives me the chance to allay any fears you have about the car
    b) the fact that you've done your homework shows me you're serious about buying the car rather than just "thinking about it"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Dylan69 wrote: »
    Do you think the dealer would be offended if i brought the list i printed off the "How to buy a used car" checklist during the test drive???:)

Just familiarise yourself with the basics. Is it a main dealer? I really wouldn't worry too much. Check the service history and verify it if you feel the need to clarify anything

Advertisement