Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DADGAD

Options
  • 24-06-2009 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi Guys
    I am trying to learn a bit more DADGAD but I am at the usual stage where I feel my lack of any formal training leaves me slowly trailing behind... I know the frist response will be "get some training then" but unfortuantely I do not have the time to do so. I am working full time,a father of 2 and helping out with a charity recording (engineering it). The only time I get to try and practice anything is at home so this is where I need the help....I have no problem getting a book or downloading some music and practicing it but where do I start??? I can read tab(very slowly) but don't understand scales etc...I can play some songs in DADGAD but just using the standard chords.... Does anyone know of any DADGAD teachers in the Kildare area in case I do need to go and get help. Would love to progress to a good level.... Also, I'm trying to get "Lakes of Ponchartrain" down anyone know the correct DADGAD version???? Thanks in advance guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Strings.ie

If you can find a good teacher that would be the way to go. Otherwise befriend/watch dadgad players. There is a book you can get which comes with a CD that might help. Really though you just need to play and experiment. There is no right or wrong way to play the Lakes of Ponchartrain, its all open to interpretation. Stick with it and Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Rithim

Paul Brady does the Lakes of Ponchartrain very well with open G tuning and you can get it on his website.It can be done on Dadgad too with a bit of experimentation.Beware of dadgad teachers that can play but cannot teach charging costly amount of money only to be shown a few chords.Go to local Trad sessions and watch players.I used to think dadgad was the way to go but discovered you can back reels/jigs even better with conventional/progression chords.Though dadgad can be used to great effect if you are going Solo with alot of songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mgitarre

Hi, yeah I know this is a bit of a hot cookie, but standard tuning does just fine and it's easier to dampen out unwanting droning with standard or Drop D, best leave dagedygadaddad to the german and american tourists, no I'm only joking - whatever you find works for you will be best in the long run!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭j1979p

Rithim wrote: »
    Though dadgad can be used to great effect if you are going Solo with alot of songs.

DADGAD is great solo - look at Luka Bloom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mgitarre

i'm sorry, you seem to have included 'Luka Bloom' and 'great' in the same sentence... on what particular planet does that apply to... ? ;)
    (warning:- message contains joke)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 curranni

i play alot of music in dadgad
    a good reseource is the irish dadgad guitar book and cd, you can easily get that on amazon..
    another person worth looking at is pierre bunsusan, who ius the king of dadgad tuning.

if you are simply going strumming, go wit hthe standard tuning,
    dadgad is best for melodic pieces, but suits irish music if you want to learna few tunes.
    davy graham was the father of the dadgad tuning also a person worth investigating f that is what you want to do.

dont bother going to a session and askiing about dadgad, some people have no clue of wat to do with the tuning.. i know one guy who sat there strumming in dadgad, but it was pretty inaudable, and sounded dull.. hence why i say that dadgad is the melodic tuning.

hope this helps

Advertisement