Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A1 licence!?

• 24-06-2009 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

Hey lads,

bit confused here now!
    I'm picking up a new 125 bike tommorrow! iv got a provisional car licence (booked my test for full).

6 years ago when i was 17 i had a 50cc scooter and A1 was marked on my licence, but after i got my car licence a year and a half later i never ticked the A1 box just the car B box!

What would i have to do now that im getting a bike and its not marked on my licence? Would i have to do the theory test again? or do i simply say to the tax office that i'd like it put on my licence!?
    I'v looked up the information on the internet but its all too confusing!

any help would be great! thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Would i have to do the theory test again?
    Did you do a theory for A1 ??? if not then you will need to do one as your last provisional expired over 5 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

well 6 years ago i did for an A1, but then got a car and did my theory test for that only! It hasn't been stamped on my licence since!

i was wondering if i was able to renew it or something?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Looks like you'll have to do the bike theory test ;)

ah flogit!! :(

ok and would i just be better off applying for the 'A' provisional licence then cos i could drive bigger bikes later on? or can i do that?

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Go for the A licence, definitely. That way you can drive a 125cc, do your full test on a 250cc and drive whatever you want (restricted for two years after you get your full licence).

What bike you getting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Is the A just a theory test aswell? (until you want the full obviously)

Are you restricted to 250cc for the two years?

ronanc15 wrote: »
    Is the A just a theory test aswell? (until you want the full obviously)

Are you restricted to 250cc for the two years?

Yeah you get an A learners permit by doing the theory test (and applying for the A licence obviously).

You are restricted by power-to-weight ratio, not by CC. So you can drive a 650 or 1000cc bike, once its below 0.16kw per kg and 33bhp.

Mightn't be entirely accurate but its along those lines...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Hmmm interesting, cheers for that dude!

No worries, I'd have a look through the threads on this forum, on biker.ie, the Citizens Information website and other resources like that for more accurate information.

ah flogit!! :(

ok and would i just be better off applying for the 'A' provisional licence then cos i could drive bigger bikes later on? or can i do that?

thanks

Go for the A licence ;) And I wouldn't worry too much about the theory test, I walked straight in without studying at all and passed :) A bit of common sense and you'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭no scope

i got a A1 licence when i was 17

does this change to a A licence since im 18 now ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

no scope wrote: »
    i got a A1 licence when i was 17

does this change to a A licence since im 18 now ?
    No :rolleyes: just aply for the A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭no scope

do i hav to do another theory test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Think ya do since its a new category

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

If you did the newer AM theory test then no.

did the theory test today for the bike, passed and went and got my licence for the A category, they stamped the A1 and the A space!
    cheers lads! :)

did the theory test today for the bike, passed and went and got my licence for the A category, they stamped the A1 and the A space!
    cheers lads! :)

gratz :) now go get yourself a bike!

already have one about a week thats why i was so determined to get the licence sorted out!

brand new black Honda CBF 125, good for starting out! :D

ah nice one, you should come out for a spin with us some time ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

hey nice bike starting out on bud. Congrats on passing the theory test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭gmkgreaney

same thing happened me done the theory test 02, had to go into taxc office last yr and they added a licence free of charge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Brian125

(Just to let you know, I am sorry for any spelling mistakes but i have trouble with the spelling of some words ! .... sorry for any hassle)

I am 16 and i just got my proviosnial "M" liscence.
    I am now thinking of going and doing a bike test and being issued with a "A1" liscence.
    Ok ? That's all fine !
    Then when i look at bikes i know i can only have a bike under 125cc, so with a bit of research online i was directed toward a "Honda cbf 125" and i have to say "really nice bike !" But then i ring quinn direct and thay tell me that they do not insure anybody under 18 on a cbf !!! ... I was completly confused because it is 125cc so i am licenced to drive it.
    And it is the same story with a Aprilia rs125... than i tried for a "Honda nsr 80cc" and thay quoted me €1070.00 ! Now how can thay quote a bike like a nsr but not a cbr... i have drove both and the cbr prob has less acceleration !
    AON are the same with there online quotes, i havent rang them but i anticipate it will be the same story...

Can someone more knowladgable in this area please advise me !?!
    I want a bike probaly not till after the summer but i can's stand the sound of a moped engine ! that is another reason i liked the cbr...

Please if you can offer any advice it would be greatly appreicated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

On a positive note your time machine appears to be in order.

Get a non-sports type 125. I'd recommend a Honda Varadero or CityFly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

You are going to have top do the Initial Basic Training as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Brian125

Thanks ! the varadero looks really good and insureance is €1,400.00 :)
    Just wondering are there any other bikes like this that have a bit of a higher top speed as i would probaly be driving to dublin a lot and it would help for the dual-carrageway ! not the motorway of course ;)...

And how do i go about doing the basic bike training and how much would it roughly cost ?

And again, Thanks !

Advertisement