Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

I had the same issue with O2 - the data was fine, just kept getting errors when downloading a mms.

The only difference bar the proxys etc that I can see is that I have the MNC set to 02 ??

Found these for the G1 - might be worth a punt:
    operator apn display name-- Meteor MMS
    operator apn-- mms.mymeteor.ie
    proxy-- 010.085.085.085
    port-- 8799
    username-- my
    password-- mms
    URL-- http://mms.mymeteor.ie

mms proxy-- 010.085.085.085
    mms port-- 8799
    mcc ID-- 272
    mnc ID-- 03
    APN type-- mms
    operator apn display name-- Meteor Data
    operator apn-- data.mymeteor.ie
    URL-- http://wap.mymeteor.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Still no luck. I notice on the meteor forums they are "looking into it":rolleyes:

Cheers for ye're help lads

I don't have "default" as the APN type in my settings for data. I just got my phone from meteor yesterday too and the data is working fine. My settings are almost identical to what EPM posted except for the lack of "default" in the data settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 hanleyco

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    Would love to read user reviews regarding 1) music playback quality, off phone music management and syncing, 2) sending media via Bluetooth and 3) call quality.

music playback is quite good with the player provided. you can still adjust the volume using the rocker keys when the phone is locked and also by pressing the power on button once you can gain access to some of the controls.

I recommend tunewiki, it automatically gets lyrics and album art for each song, lets you develop a youtube music library and stores a load of internet radio stations.

Call quality is ok. i find i get a lot of interference is i have wifi/gps etc turned on while making a call, but other than that its as good or better than any other phone ive used. I cant comment of bluetooth really as i have only tried it once to transfer my numbers from my old phone to the hero (unsuccessfully)

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Slipshaney

guys, if i go to the vodafone.ie site and download the mms settings for htc tattoo - should that work on my hero?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 cwjcwjcwj

Just received an email, HTC hero is finally available on meteor website as well....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

Haha me too, checked it up there - 389.99 euro online to buy PAYG and from 99.99 in the shops on bill (as we knew). sorted :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

cwjcwjcwj wrote: »
    Just received an email, HTC hero is finally available on meteor website as well....

and is €389.99 PAYG if purchased online

Edit: Rizee -you beat me to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Wonder if they're locked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

Wonder if they're locked?

Good question - i'll have my doubts about that, they must be on the second batch now therefore getting the Meteor branding on if any?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Yeah I'd reckon so. Looks like eBay is my best option then, though I'm worried about dead pixels on the screen and returning it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭revolver2k

baz8080 wrote: »
    I don't have "default" as the APN type in my settings for data. I just got my phone from meteor yesterday too and the data is working fine. My settings are almost identical to what EPM posted except for the lack of "default" in the data settings.

Yep, but your MMS isn't working, am i right?

If you want both APN's working together, you need to specify DATA as 'default' and MMS as 'mms', that's what i was trying to say anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

EPM wrote: »
    Still no luck. I notice on the meteor forums they are "looking into it":rolleyes:

Cheers for ye're help lads

I bought my HTC Magic in June and after months of trying i only got my Meteor internet and mms working last week, i assume once you get passed the Hero UI, its the same Android platform so here goes..
    heres a run through of what i did:
    1. Settings
    2. Wireless Controls
    3. Mobile Networks
    4. Access Point Names
    From here press menu, and select "New APN"

Name this APN "Meteor Internet/wap/whatever you like"
    • APN: wap.mymeteor.ie
    • Proxy: 010.085.085.085
    • Port:8799
    • Username: my
    • Password: meteor
    • Server: http://wap.mymeteor.ie
    • MMSC: mms.mymeteor.ie
    • MMS proxy: 010.085.085.085
    • MMS port:8799
    • MCC: 272
    • MNC: 03
    • APN type: default
    Hit menu, and save.. this should bring u back to the APNs menu

Hit Menu again and select new APN
    Name this one Meteor mms and the following settings:
    hit menu and save

When this brings you back to the APNs menu you should have "meteor internet" with a green checkbox to the right and underneath you should have "meteor mms" with no green checkbox to the right..

Before i got mine working i had green checkboxes to the right of both APNs and by entering the APN type for "internet" as default and "mms" as mms, this got rid of the checkbox to the right of the "meteor mms" APN and i was able to send and receive picture messages etc..

Hope this isnt too confusing, its the best way i can explain it..

Let me know if it works

Also i meant to ask..

I can only get on to the free apps on the android market but i assumed that would change when the Hero was launched..

Is anyone using the Hero able to use the paid market?

C-Shore wrote: »
    Is anyone using the Hero able to use the paid market?

No paid market for ireland until google get the finger out. There is a marketenabler app for the hero, it allows the hero to masquerade as a t-mobile or o2.de phone (a few others) so you can purchase apps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I bought my HTC Magic in June and after months of trying i only got my Meteor internet and mms working last week, i assume once you get passed the Hero UI, its the same Android platform so here goes..
    heres a run through of what i did:
    1. Settings
    2. Wireless Controls
    3. Mobile Networks
    4. Access Point Names
    From here press menu, and select "New APN"

Name this APN "Meteor Internet/wap/whatever you like"
    • APN: wap.mymeteor.ie
    • Proxy: 010.085.085.085
    • Port:8799
    • Username: my
    • Password: meteor
    • Server: http://wap.mymeteor.ie
    • MMSC: mms.mymeteor.ie
    • MMS proxy: 010.085.085.085
    • MMS port:8799
    • MCC: 272
    • MNC: 03
    • APN type: default
    Hit menu, and save.. this should bring u back to the APNs menu

Hit Menu again and select new APN
    Name this one Meteor mms and the following settings:
    hit menu and save

When this brings you back to the APNs menu you should have "meteor internet" with a green checkbox to the right and underneath you should have "meteor mms" with no green checkbox to the right..

Before i got mine working i had green checkboxes to the right of both APNs and by entering the APN type for "internet" as default and "mms" as mms, this got rid of the checkbox to the right of the "meteor mms" APN and i was able to send and receive picture messages etc..

Hope this isnt too confusing, its the best way i can explain it..

Let me know if it works

Works perfectly! You sir are a legend in your own underpants!

voxpop wrote: »
    No paid market for ireland until google get the finger out. There is a marketenabler app for the hero, it allows the hero to masquerade as a t-mobile or o2.de phone (a few others) so you can purchase apps.

Thats a bit of a joke :( i would have thought that was a top priority before the launch of the Hero?

EPM wrote: »
    Works perfectly! You sir are a legend in your own underpants!

It'd bloody want to after the stress i went through over the last 4 months ha! The worst part was realising that i had all the settings correct bar those 3 letters in the mms APN type!

Glad i could help though.. there isnt really any help for android settings in the sticky on the forum so a mod should probably post these there..

Thats a bit of a joke :( i would have thought that was a top priority before the launch of the Hero?

I suppose Ireland is a pretty small market and Google cant be arsed at the mo. Anyway - Im not sure there are any good paid apps - the only one ive heard of is co-pilot and in android 2.0 that will mostly be defunct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Still very tempted to get this phone, but is it true I have to pay for a Data add-on to purchase the phone as stated on another thread?

Anyone know how this would compare to an iPhone, cos the only thing stopping me from getting the phone is that the iPhone could come onto Meteor soonish now that it is coming to Vodafone next year.

• Advertisement

No, the data add-on was strongly recommended but they wouldn't force it on you. You'd really need to get one though as the phone is so tightly integrated with the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭ryanmatty

Has anyone bought a protective case for the hero yet? Im looking to pick up one any recommendations on a case and a screen protector?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

No, the data add-on was strongly recommended but they wouldn't force it on you. You'd really need to get one though as the phone is so tightly integrated with the web.

Well actually I was told that I would NOT be able to have the phone without it, on bill pay at least.

Alot of the time I'm around WiFi (College campus etc) so I dont think ill need it. Plus, I'd be porting to PAYG so the 50mb for €1 would suit me I recon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,052 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Dman001 wrote: »
    Still very tempted to get this phone, but is it true I have to pay for a Data add-on to purchase the phone as stated on another thread?

Anyone know how this would compare to an iPhone, cos the only thing stopping me from getting the phone is that the iPhone could come onto Meteor soonish now that it is coming to Vodafone next year.

From what I have read and seen of it, I think it looks better than the iPhone. Better camera, open source (easier mods and apps). I can't think of a reason to get the iPhone over it to be honest; the HTC beats it for all specs imo. Not sure how the Android market place holds up against the App Store, thats the only thing I can think the iPhone could compete with the Hero on (well, that and hype...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,052 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

dragona wrote: »
    Well actually I was told that I would NOT be able to have the phone without it, on bill pay at least.

seems reallt stupid. I wouldn't get the phone without the data add on (at least the 250mb one, but i'd be tempted in the 'unlimited' one) but I don't think they should be forcing it on people. If they wanted to go that route, they should have created Hero specific tarrifs - seems odd that they could try to force you into paying for an optional add-on extra.

That's interesting about the data being mandatory vs seemingly optional in my case. I'm wondering how clever the phone can be though when you are out of wifi.

I have enabled 'background' synchronisation for my google stuff, so when I turn wifi off it uses my 3g connection. I'm happy enough with the 250MB for 4.99 though and I'll see how fast I burn through that before going for the 10GB for 14.99

O2 do that with the iPhone - the have "special" iPhone packages which include data.

Im using my HTC without a data add-on. O2 have the 99c for up to 50mb . I havnt gone near 50mb a day - thats using market,internet,email. Over the last 7 days ive used 33mb.

get netcounter from the martetplace to keep track of data usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

There is no forced Data Add on with the Hero based on the instructions we have.

That said, it is not much more than a brick without Data.

• Advertisement

voxpop wrote: »
    O2 do that with the iPhone - the have "special" iPhone packages which include data.

Im using my HTC without a data add-on. O2 have the 99c for up to 50mb . I havnt gone near 50mb a day - thats using market,internet,email. Over the last 7 days ive used 33mb.

get netcounter from the martetplace to keep track of data usage.
    That's nice to hear, I was getting worried that 50mb wouldnt be enough even for a Lite user like myself. I know the Heor is very "internet" orientated.

One of the things that really struck me with Meteor was that they weren't enforcing you to take any Data add-on and there were no special tariffs for the Hero, and then I hear this. Has anyone bought a Hero as a new Meteor customer?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement