Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

iknorr wrote: »
    With regards the media player and ipod touch "dealbreaker"

This is just software though. It has all the hardware. The inbuilt media player is not too bad. But there are better applications out there, for free, on the android market.
    Alot of people dont like using the itunes software and just want to drag and drop from their media on the pc- simpliest & easiest way to do it.

Playlist options are available.

Do u really wanna carry around another device in your pocket that can do the same thing?

Good point. I suppose Ill have to play around with it to see if I like it.

On your blog it says that its available sim free on many sites for the same price as in store (i.e 399). Can you point me in the direction of these sites ?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭iknorr

Tusky wrote: »
    Good point. I suppose Ill have to play around with it to see if I like it.

On your blog it says that its available sim free on many sites for the same price as in store (i.e 399). Can you point me in the direction of these sites ?

We had this discussion earlier in this thread. I think its around page 52 or something. It worked out a little more with delivery from uk based sites. I think it was 430 with the currency conversion, but another guy i know got it for less than that from an amazon seller a few weeks back.

Edit: apologies different post
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62648043#post62648043

has anyone had some issues with contacts being formatted differnetly, multiple entries for the same contact or trouble syncing your gmail contacts.
    Heres a post on how to do it http://techfeen.com/setting-up-gmail-contacts-on-htc-hero/

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭paddy2k

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Got mine this evening. All good so far except that it won't sync my contacts or calendar with Google mail. It says there is a sync issue and will be fixed shortly. Anyone experienced this, might it be the phone or just a temporary problem with the Google server. It is logging in okay and downloading my mails.
    It doesn't seem to want to sync meteors network. Works fine on 3 or WiFi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Got my PAYG Hero in Meteor Blanch today at lunch time, and hoorah it's unlocked!

So now I need to go about installing all this ROM stuff and getting the best out of this phone.

• Advertisement

As far as i am aware, no Hero's were built with PAYG settings.

I understand the shops are not selling them PAYG but it could be that a small amount get put on PAYG on Tuesday for any orders taken.

So far there have only been 400 delivered to cover all the Meteor and the 3G Mobile stores, some independent dealers, Eircom Mobile and the Meteor Online store.

Demand on Billpay is high so that stock is not going to last long.

We will know more on tuesday when the stock arrives.

Thought Id chance the meteor store in Blanch and they had 5 phones aside for PAYG. w00t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

paddy2k wrote: »

I just realised that, am now sitting in Bewleys sorting my contacts over the wifi...

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

paddy2k wrote: »

Yeah I get thaqt, no Google sync on EDGE/GPRS but works fine on UMTS/HSDPA and WiFi.

How do you view your delivery reports? I've enabled them via settings but haven't a clue how to check them out?

Also how can you view messages in the classic mode and not threaded?

EDIT: Also can I use my own mp3's as message/alarm tones, without using Modaco etc? Or does Modaco even allow this?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭ryanmatty

Hey Zapp did you install a new ROM? Maybe you could post on how you get on and what you installed if you did!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Thought Id chance the meteor store in Blanch and they had 5 phones aside for PAYG. w00t.

Shows how good my sources are:)

ryanmatty wrote: »
    Hey Zapp did you install a new ROM? Maybe you could post on how you get on and what you installed if you did!

Or if any one has done this maybe you could let us know what you have on it and how its going!

ryanmatty wrote: »

No not installed any ROM's yet, still getting used to the phone! I don't even know how to delete widgets from my home screens!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

new to the hero also.

to delete widgets - press and hold them - the bottom turns red to a "remove" and just drag it to there.

k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I was hoping they'd be unlocked. Can anyone confirm that the Bill pay ones are unlocked too.

karltimber wrote: »
    new to the hero also.

to delete widgets - press and hold them - the bottom turns red to a "remove" and just drag it to there.

k

Thank you!

Now if someone could help me out with the alarm/message tones (it's just not the same if the FFVII fanfare doesn't greet my messages or Ken's theme from SF2 doesn't wake me up in the morning) and also the delivery reports, I'd be a happy man! :D

Finding the phone a bit complicated to get my head around but only really played with it for 10 minutes so far.

If anyone has any links with tips/hints or walkthroughs it would be much appreciated.

Maybe we should start a second thread and use for it for any good help guides or for recommending of apps for users of hero or any android handsets

Finding the phone a bit complicated to get my head around but only really played with it for 10 minutes so far.

If anyone has any links with tips/hints or walkthroughs it would be much appreciated.

It is the same for anyone moving from one type of phone to another.

It will come together quick enough.

The following guige seems pretty good. http://blog.clove.co.uk/2009/08/03/htc-hero-training-guide-complete/

Shane

How do you view your delivery reports? I've enabled them via settings but haven't a clue how to check them out?

Also how can you view messages in the classic mode and not threaded?

EDIT: Also can I use my own mp3's as message/alarm tones, without using Modaco etc? Or does Modaco even allow this?

where are the delivery reports in the settings?

• Advertisement

Messages>Menu>Setting>Delivery Reports.

Messages>Menu>Setting>Delivery Reports.

Thanks- thats a new menu for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

So jealous of you lot. Still waiting to get time off so I can get my upgrade :pac:

Been playing with Groveshark for android which i got sent as part of the Android Developer Challenge.

Does anyone know if it available normally in Ireland. IE The ability to search for a song an play it.

I know that apps like last.fm cant do that for copyright reasons.

Great app.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

meteor in longford still havent got them in yet :mad:

Is there a way to stop the phone vibrating when you input text? That has to have an effect on the battery?

It is in

Menu
    Locale& Text
    Touch Input
    Text Input
    Vibrate when typing

Yea should check out the sky maps app, very very impressive! Pretty useless but a great little gadget. After playing with the phone for around an hour, I'm really starting to like it.

It is in

Menu
    Locale& Text
    Touch Input
    Text Input
    Vibrate when typing

/tips hat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭davehey79

meteor in longford still havent got them in yet :mad:

yes was in today with Benny in there said mid-week hopefully be gettin there allocation and would contact me when they in. fingers crossed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement