Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

My only complaint so far is the mp3 player, which is ok but not great. I assume there will be a new app for that at some stage ?

Also, my contacts list appears to be all ****ed up, its showing up as surname, firstname. Only half of my contacts seem to be there also. Its possible that some of them were saved on the memory card on my other phone I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Right think I get the Delivery reports. When you view your message conversations there is a little symbol on the ones you send, I'm guessing that's confirmation the message has been received. Surprised you can't get more info such as time delivered etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Tusky wrote: »
    My only complaint so far is the mp3 player, which is ok but not great. I assume there will be a new app for that at some stage ?

Also, my contacts list appears to be all ****ed up, its showing up as surname, firstname. Only half of my contacts seem to be there also. Its possible that some of them were saved on the memory card on my other phone I suppose.

Plenty of MP3 apps on the apps store. Have not tried them but worth a try.

Anyone using the phone with a 16GB card. Any problems. Slowness.

I know the nokia's have issues with large cards.

Try http://www.tunewiki.com/device/tunewiki-android.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Rolo Tomasi

Plenty of MP3 apps on the apps store. Have not tried them but worth a try.

Anyone using the phone with a 16GB card. Any problems. Slowness.

I know the nokia's have issues with large cards.

I think the slowness relates to Class 2 microSD cards, I think the Nokia 5800 ships with a Class 4 card.

Class 4 & 6 cards, while more expensive, should not cause problems.

• Advertisement

Cheers Ill give it a go. What was the code to find out how much data you have used again ?

Also - a nice trick for unlocking, just double click the menu button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

Cheers Ill give it a go. What was the code to find out how much data you have used again ?
    #

Its only about 2 pages back. *hash105hash

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

On your blog it says that its available sim free on many sites for the same price as in store (i.e 399). Can you point me in the direction of these sites ?

http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/2156/htc-hero/

Works out at around €400.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭paddy2k

C.D. wrote: »
    Yeah I get thaqt, no Google sync on EDGE/GPRS but works fine on UMTS/HSDPA and WiFi.

just tried it over HSDPA and no joy, got the same issue. whatever the reason it's the same thing thats stopping the built in twitter client working over Meteor's network.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭iknorr

This will solve your problem with your contacts.
    http://techfeen.com/setting-up-gmail-contacts-on-htc-hero/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 NetJockey

Hi folks.

I have an HTC Hero on Vodafone and despite using the correct settings, I still cannot send and receive MMS. I am set up correctly on Vodafone and am using both of the APN settings that appear in the earlier posts (for ISP an MMS).

I have mobile network set to on. My phone is not rooted.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭iknorr

I think the slowness relates to Class 2 microSD cards, I think the Nokia 5800 ships with a Class 4 card.

Class 4 & 6 cards, while more expensive, should not cause problems.

I changed to an 8gb class 6. Video playback has improved alot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Right think I get the Delivery reports. When you view your message conversations there is a little symbol on the ones you send, I'm guessing that's confirmation the message has been received. Surprised you can't get more info such as time delivered etc.

That's not quite the case (sometimes they are pending), if you tap and hold on the message that you want to know about a menu pops up and at the bottom you have the option "view report" which gives you the status and time details.

ryanmatty wrote: »
    Hey Zapp did you install a new ROM? Maybe you could post on how you get on and what you installed if you did!

There is plenty of info on this earlier in the thread, I think it was Mr E who posted very detailed instructions, and there are also some good how-to videos here which I always find easier to follow
    :)

iknorr wrote: »
    This will solve your problem with your contacts.
    http://techfeen.com/setting-up-gmail-contacts-on-htc-hero/

Thats great help, thanks.

I'd love someone to make a fantasy football app, I noticed they have one for American fantasy football.

Also, when I click 'my location' or 'Dublin' for weather, it shows up as London. Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭MrMan

Is anyone using the Hero on the three network and how is it?

From searching previous threads it seems like there was a issue with the G1's web browser but I'm hoping all is OK now!

Right so, I really don't need a new phone at all but was considering waiting until next year to get an iPhone when vodafone releases them...however looking at the hero, it looks pretty damn cool.

I mentioned many pages back that I got an Omnia before and hated it. Now I know they're different operating systems etc but reading through the thread, there seems to be lots of similar discussions about roms and flashing the phone and root directorys etc...! I didn't like having to do that with the Omnia, was all very complicated.

So question is, is the Hero an easy phone to use and a good phone without having to all this fancy modding? Is it a good phone just out of the box?

Yenwod wrote: »
    Right so, I really don't need a new phone at all but was considering waiting until next year to get an iPhone when vodafone releases them...however looking at the hero, it looks pretty damn cool.

I mentioned many pages back that I got an Omnia before and hated it. Now I know they're different operating systems etc but reading through the thread, there seems to be lots of similar discussions about roms and flashing the phone and root directorys etc...! I didn't like having to do that with the Omnia, was all very complicated.

So question is, is the Hero an easy phone to use and a good phone without having to all this fancy modding? Is it a good phone just out of the box?

You don't have to do any of that stuff.

Just use it as it is. Have mine since Friday and love it.

Shane

Shane
    you know that answer has probably just cost me a few hundred euros...I'm so weak :p

• Advertisement

Dman001 wrote: »
    Alot of the time I'm around WiFi (College campus etc) so I dont think ill need it. Plus, I'd be porting to PAYG so the 50mb for €1 would suit me I recon.

Just a word of warning -I'm working on UCD campus and get get the wifi to connect properly, just in case that's the campus you're at. But would be delighted if anyone had a tip to fix this for me.

Shane

Agree with Shane. Had to play around with the phone for around an hour to get my head around it, as its so customizable, but now it feels really easy to use. I dont plan on rooting mine for the moment anyway and its definitely a great phone out of the box.

I only wish I had it in black instead of white...never happy!

I've fixed me customs message and alarm tones with Ringdroid. :D

Loving this phone its so cool looking!

Agree with Shane. Had to play around with the phone for around an hour to get my head around it, as its so customizable, but now it feels really easy to use. I dont plan on rooting mine for the moment anyway and its definitely a great phone out of the box.

I only wish I had it in black instead of white...never happy!
    Haha, yeah I'm caught between the brown or the white (definitley don't want the pink). I prefer the front of the white one, nice colour contrast but tthe back of the brown one...decisions, decisions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

If I were to head to the Meteor store on Grafton St. tomorrow with my money and my ID to sign up to a bill pay contract, what are the chances I could walk away with a shiny new Hero? Or is there a waiting list?

Haha, yeah I'm caught between the brown or the white (definitley don't want the pink). I prefer the front of the white one, nice colour contrast but tthe back of the brown one...decisions, decisions

You know the brown and pinks ones dont have the teflon coating!

You know the brown and pinks ones dont have the teflon coaring!
    oh...no! Well then I guess white would be better then.

Cheers!

I didnt realize it was brown, thought it was black. In that case, I may just prefer the white!

large7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

Teflon coating FTW :P

Edit - oooooh

htc-hero-colours-300x173.jpg

http://www.talkandroid.com/564-htc-android-hero/

• Advertisement

Guys where's good place to get an 8gb Class 6 card? Don't wanna go eBay cos most would be fake.

EDIT: Anyone using chompSMS? Can't decide to use that, mainly due to its awesome character counter, or the default messaging programme, for the great screen widget! Nevermind I found out you can still use the HTC widget and then use chompSMS to write the messages.

And another EDIT: When I wake the screen up, the lock screen clock is right, but when I unlock it sometimes the clock on my home screen is wrong and then it updates. Anyone else notice this?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement