Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭paddy2k

And another EDIT: When I wake the screen up, the lock screen clock is right, but when I unlock it sometimes the clock on my home screen is wrong and then it updates. Anyone else notice this?
    I think that's a feature to showcase the Sense UI's animation.

C-Shore wrote: »
    I bought my HTC Magic in June and after months of trying i only got my Meteor internet and mms working last week, i assume once you get passed the Hero UI, its the same Android platform so here goes..
    heres a run through of what i did:
    1. Settings
    2. Wireless Controls
    3. Mobile Networks
    4. Access Point Names
    From here press menu, and select "New APN"

Name this APN "Meteor Internet/wap/whatever you like"
    • APN: wap.mymeteor.ie
    • Proxy: 010.085.085.085
    • Port:8799
    • Username: my
    • Password: meteor
    • Server: http://wap.mymeteor.ie
    • MMSC: mms.mymeteor.ie
    • MMS proxy: 010.085.085.085
    • MMS port:8799
    • MCC: 272
    • MNC: 03
    • APN type: default
    Hit menu, and save.. this should bring u back to the APNs menu

Hit Menu again and select new APN
    Name this one Meteor mms and the following settings:
    hit menu and save

When this brings you back to the APNs menu you should have "meteor internet" with a green checkbox to the right and underneath you should have "meteor mms" with no green checkbox to the right..

Before i got mine working i had green checkboxes to the right of both APNs and by entering the APN type for "internet" as default and "mms" as mms, this got rid of the checkbox to the right of the "meteor mms" APN and i was able to send and receive picture messages etc..

Hope this isnt too confusing, its the best way i can explain it..

Let me know if it works
    You are not just a genius in underpants, you're a genius in wonderpants.
    Works a dream. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭iknorr

Guys where's good place to get an 8gb Class 6 card? Don't wanna go eBay cos most would be fake.

I got mine from memorybits uk, if your interested i may have a spare 10% off voucher hanging around.

MrMan wrote: »
    Is anyone using the Hero on the three network and how is it?

From searching previous threads it seems like there was a issue with the G1's web browser but I'm hoping all is OK now!

I popped my 3 sim in the other day and it worked better than on meteor because I could sync contacts, use the built in Twitter app and listen to internet radio. Browsing and all worked fine too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

iknorr wrote: »
    I got mine from memorybits uk, if your interested i may have a spare 10% off voucher hanging around.

If you've got one spare that'd be great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭MrMan

paddy2k wrote: »
    I popped my 3 sim in the other day and it worked better than on meteor because I could sync contacts, use the built in Twitter app and listen to internet radio. Browsing and all worked fine too.

Thanks for that. Now, where did I put my wallet? :)

MrMan wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Now, where did I put my wallet? :)

Right beside the keys of the car you're gonna drive to the meteor store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Of possible interest to some people: was checking out the Hero in the Meteor shop in Patrick St, Cork on Sat and the girl there said they had no 'specific' phone trade in list for the €30 off. She seemed quite happy to take pretty much any phone in exchange. She even offered to take my HTC Diamond which I politely declined!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Of possible interest to some people: was checking out the Hero in the Meteor shop in Patrick St, Cork on Sat and the girl there said they had no 'specific' phone trade in list for the €30 off. She seemed quite happy to take pretty much any phone in exchange. She even offered to take my HTC Diamond which I politely declined!

As long as the phone is a Nokia, Sony, LG or Samsung, they will take it. Phone needs to have a camera and a charger and is in working order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭Compudaro

I'm first in line for a Hero from a Meteor Store in Dublin (they've none in stock at the moment) - anyone know when they generally get their deliveries?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

There are 3 out in the 3G Mobile stores in Blanchardstown.

Shane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

There are 3 out in the 3G Mobile stores in Blanchardstown.

Shane

They told me on the phone they werent selling PAYG though, so just ring first to check if thats what youre after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Tusky wrote: »
    They told me on the phone they werent selling PAYG though, so just ring first to check if thats what youre after.

Sorry, you are right. Billpay only for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,901 ✭✭✭patrickc

I've just ordered one online from meteor, as an upgrade for herself's xmas present. can anyone confirm if they are sim locked to meteor?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,901 ✭✭✭patrickc

Sorry, you are right. Billpay only for the moment.

they do have them online for prepay as just bought one.

patrickc wrote: »
    I've just ordered one online from meteor, as an upgrade for herself's xmas present. can anyone confirm if they are sim locked to meteor?

The one I bought from the Meteor Store in Blanch shopping center was unlocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

chrislad wrote: »
    As long as the phone is a Nokia, Sony, LG or Samsung, they will take it. Phone needs to have a camera and a charger and is in working order.

That's what I'm saying - she was unaware of any restrictions like this.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

how do I extend the ring count before voice mail ??

so many settings :eek:

got the lighsaber widget - me skywalker :D

k

Anyone know why sometimes in the Message widget I can only scroll between my two most recent messages sometimes, and then others I can scroll through them all? Bug?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

The other thread seems to have died so I'll just post this here. Ive just downloaded an app that is by far the best Ive seen yet. Its called 'Listen' and its made by google. It allows you to search, subscribe and playlist from thousands of podcasts. It will automatically add them to your 'listen queue'. Seriously handy app which I will get lots of use out of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

My list so far:
    ShopSavvy - bar code reader
    Locale - changes your phone settings based on where you are - uses GPS to know...
    aCurrency - Currency Converter
    Unit Converter - Unit Converter
    IRL Cinema - Cinema Times
    Shazam - Music Recognition

Am looking for a good golf score card and statistics program - might need to wait till I can get access to paid apps. Is there an app for using your free texts?

There doesn't seem to be many apps local to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

karlr42 wrote: »
    If I were to head to the Meteor store on Grafton St. tomorrow with my money and my ID to sign up to a bill pay contract, what are the chances I could walk away with a shiny new Hero? Or is there a waiting list?
    Answering myself, they had none, but I managed to get one from North Earl St. store- they had more but were described as "like gold dust"! Loving it so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,520 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

karltimber wrote: »
    how do I extend the ring count before voice mail ??

It done through a GSM code. I just did it on my phone (on Vodafone) and it worked. The code is:

**61*(mailbox no.)**(no. of seconds you want it to ring for)#

If your phone number is 0871234567, then your mailbox number is 08751234567 (again, don't know mailbox for meteor). So full code using this number and 20 seconds of ringing:

**61*08751234567**20#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 podgeywodgey5

Has anyone ordered a PAYG handset online and actually received it? I rang meteor and they said it would be delivered within two days but i feel they are just quoting their guidelines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

Bluefoam wrote: »
    My list so far:
    ShopSavvy - bar code reader
    Locale - changes your phone settings based on where you are - uses GPS to know...
    aCurrency - Currency Converter
    Unit Converter - Unit Converter
    IRL Cinema - Cinema Times
    Shazam - Music Recognition
    Is that what I think it is?? That the phone can scan barcodes...and what, tell you the price of the item? Coz that sounds nuts, haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Yenwod wrote: »
    Is that what I think it is?? That the phone can scan barcodes...and what, tell you the price of the item? Coz that sounds nuts, haha

Yeh, it looks for local prices and prices from online stores. Cool app, you can scan a DVD box set in HMV & it'll check for the best price online...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Mr E wrote: »
    It done through a GSM code. I just did it on my phone (on Vodafone) and it worked. The code is:

**61*(mailbox no.)**(no. of seconds you want it to ring for)#

If your phone number is 0871234567, then your mailbox number is 08751234567 (again, don't know mailbox for meteor). So full code using this number and 20 seconds of ringing:

**61*08751234567**20#

that worked superbly.

thx

question - have spend a lot of time over w/e looking at different websites ref android and the newest roms, backing up etc etc
    is it really worth it ? Only got my hero last week and it had the latest htc firmware. but extras will the other roms bring me ??
    thx
    k

Really loving this phone! For those sitting on the fence; BUY IT!

Only downside to the phone is that I've finally had to sign up to Facebook :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

Just for my own peace of mind, it's correct to say that if you use the phone while connected to Wifi, it won't download over the Meteor network? i.e. that it will only use 3G/HSDPA when no Wifi is available?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Sorry if this has been asked/answered already but I tried searching this thread but "mms" is too short to search.

Can anyone tell me how to get my MMS settings working properly. Ive a MMS message ready to download but each time I try to download it says "Download of message .... was unsuccessful".

My wifi is disabled, and im pretty sure my MMS settings are right.
    Meteor MMS:
    Name: Meteor MMS
    APN: mms.mymeteor.ie
    Proxy: 010.085.085.085
    Port: 8799
    Username: my
    Password: *** but im guessing this is mms (Do tell if otherwise)
    Server: <not set>
    MMSC: http://mms.mymeteor.ie
    MMS proxy: 010.085.085.085
    MMS port: 8799
    MMS protocol: WAP 2.0
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 03
    APN type: mms

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement