Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

About 3 or 4 pages back the correct settings are there. Can't remember who though but he was spot on.

Also, another good download from the market is the ringer mode togler. Very handy and quicker than holding down the cancel button

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

For those with the phone: can you add any widget / shortcut you like to the home page/s or is it restricted to a select few?

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

For those with the phone: can you add any widget / shortcut you like to the home page/s or is it restricted to a select few?
    As far as I can see, anything goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Yeh, it looks for local prices and prices from online stores. Cool app, you can scan a DVD box set in HMV & it'll check for the best price online...
    that...sounds...deadly!!

This phone cannot be delivered fast enough :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

Cannot wait to get my hands on this. Was in a Meteor store today and saw it, had it in the hand... absolute beaut!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Yeh, it looks for local prices and prices from online stores. Cool app, you can scan a DVD box set in HMV & it'll check for the best price online...
    Try Snaptell.Same thing except it works by taking a picture of the boxes cover too.Tried it with old mega drive games an everything and it works :D
    Theres default Android ones and HTC ones pre-installed but theres plenty on the market too.You can throw which ever you want on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

karlr42 wrote: »
    Just for my own peace of mind, it's correct to say that if you use the phone while connected to Wifi, it won't download over the Meteor network? i.e. that it will only use 3G/HSDPA when no Wifi is available?

Yep. If you hold down the power button you get an option to turn mobile network on or off. Ive just been using it on wifi for the most part as Im rarely out of wifi zones.

I also have to say, that Im absolutely loving the phone. Its really intuitive and seems to have taken the best things of many different handsets and combined them. Very little wrong with it from what I can see. Highly recommend it.

If I was being hyper critical, I would point to the mp3 player. However, this can be improved with software. Also, I downloaded Meridian and its must better than the out of the box mp3 player.

C-Shore wrote: »
    I bought my HTC Magic in June and after months of trying i only got my Meteor internet and mms working last week, i assume once you get passed the Hero UI, its the same Android platform so here goes..
    heres a run through of what i did:
    1. Settings
    2. Wireless Controls
    3. Mobile Networks
    4. Access Point Names
    From here press menu, and select "New APN"

Name this APN "Meteor Internet/wap/whatever you like"
    • APN: wap.mymeteor.ie
    • Proxy: 010.085.085.085
    • Port:8799
    • Username: my
    • Password: meteor
    • Server: http://wap.mymeteor.ie
    • MMSC: mms.mymeteor.ie
    • MMS proxy: 010.085.085.085
    • MMS port:8799
    • MCC: 272
    • MNC: 03
    • APN type: default
    Hit menu, and save.. this should bring u back to the APNs menu

Hit Menu again and select new APN
    Name this one Meteor mms and the following settings:
    hit menu and save

When this brings you back to the APNs menu you should have "meteor internet" with a green checkbox to the right and underneath you should have "meteor mms" with no green checkbox to the right..

Before i got mine working i had green checkboxes to the right of both APNs and by entering the APN type for "internet" as default and "mms" as mms, this got rid of the checkbox to the right of the "meteor mms" APN and i was able to send and receive picture messages etc..

Hope this isnt too confusing, its the best way i can explain it..

Let me know if it works
    Did this! No joy.

I dont have any of those green checkboxes to the right of both APNs. Not even a box that needs ticking. Totally clueless....
    I needs help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

Tusky wrote: »

If I was being hyper critical, I would point to the mp3 player. However, this can be improved with software. Also, I downloaded Meridian and its must better than the out of the box mp3 player.

The mp3 player itself aside, how do you find the sound quality for mp3 playback? I will be upgrading from a K800i and love the sound quality on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

I'd say theres different mp3 players to download no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

IH77 wrote: »
    The mp3 player itself aside, how do you find the sound quality for mp3 playback? I will be upgrading from a K800i and love the sound quality on that.

I'll give it a proper test tomorrow and let you know. Haven't used it enough to say.
    rizzee wrote: »
    I'd say theres different mp3 players to download no?

Yeah - Meridian seems to be the best one. Dont get me wrong, its fine. I'm just used to the ipod touch, which is a lot slicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭paddy2k

Did this! No joy.

I dont have any of those green checkboxes to the right of both APNs. Not even a box that needs ticking. Totally clueless....
    I needs help

I found I had to hit Menu -> Reset to Default, then enter the settings exactly as in that post and it all worked perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭paddy2k

you can download Android widgets, use the built in HTC widgets, add any app to the home screen or add bookmarks.
    The bookmarks show up as html files but if you use an app called "Bookmark 2" you can use the sites favicon as the bookmark's homescreen icon.

My favourite apps so far:
    A Online Radio (but internet radio doesn't work on Meteor)
    Battery Widget
    ConnectBot (SSH Client)
    eBuddy
    FxCamera (way better than the built in app)
    Gensoid (Megadrive Emulator)
    GPS Status
    Layar
    Locale
    Marine Compass
    SipDroid
    Twidgit Lite
    TasKiller

A fun app is 'Steamy Window'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

add ...

handcent (threaded sms)
    google skymap
    wifi scanner
    wapedia
    weatherbug
    voice caller id
    google voice search
    spare parts
    shake awake (keep screen on during a call)
    netsentry (track your 2g/3g data usage)
    amazon app

all these are free.
    paddy2k wrote: »
    you can download Android widgets, use the built in HTC widgets, add any app to the home screen or add bookmarks.
    The bookmarks show up as html files but if you use an app called "Bookmark 2" you can use the sites favicon as the bookmark's homescreen icon.

My favourite apps so far:
    A Online Radio (but internet radio doesn't work on Meteor)
    Battery Widget
    ConnectBot (SSH Client)
    eBuddy
    FxCamera (way better than the built in app)
    Gensoid (Megadrive Emulator)
    GPS Status
    Layar
    Locale
    Marine Compass
    SipDroid
    Twidgit Lite
    TasKiller

A fun app is 'Steamy Window'

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭terrarev

I got my phone yesterday and I'm really liking it so far. One thing that I think should be mentioned, and I haven't seen it mentioned much, is the Bluetooth. It's very limited at the moment and there is no file transfer available. At the moment it can only really support connecting speakers/headsets. As regards carkits, it should be able to connect to it and make and receive calls but due to the file transfer issues it won't be able to import your contacts. As there is no voice dialing facility on the phone this pretty much means you'll have to dial the number manually on your phone to call someone while driving.

All of this is fixed in Android 2.0 though so as soon as that is out I will really have no complaints about this phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

terrarev wrote: »
    I got my phone yesterday and I'm really liking it so far. One thing that I think should be mentioned, and I haven't seen it mentioned much, is the Bluetooth. It's very limited at the moment and there is no file transfer available. At the moment it can only really support connecting speakers/headsets. As regards carkits, it should be able to connect to it and make and receive calls but due to the file transfer issues it won't be able to import your contacts. As there is no voice dialing facility on the phone this pretty much means you'll have to dial the number manually on your phone to call someone while driving.

All of this is fixed in Android 2.0 though so as soon as that is out I will really have no complaints about this phone.

There is an app to allow bluetooth file transfers. Have not used any so i will not recomend one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Click Clicky

I take it you haven't used the camera yet? Camera is ****E unless you're in perfect bright light and don't mind waiting an eternity for it to focus and click.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭terrarev

There is an app to allow bluetooth file transfers. Have not used any so i will not recomend one.

I don't really transfer files using bluetooth much anyway. I'd mainly use it for the car kit and that's a different type of functionality afaik.

I take it you haven't used the camera yet? Camera is ****E unless you're in perfect bright light and don't mind waiting an eternity for it to focus and click.

It's good enough for what I want it for. It's not the best camera on a phone but I wouldn't use it all that often to be honest. It wouldn't be a big deal for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Camera is woeful alright, no other way of putting it.

Useless at a gig or in a pub I'd say.

paddy2k wrote: »
    I found I had to hit Menu -> Reset to Default, then enter the settings exactly as in that post and it all worked perfectly.

That might have done something. Im getting the green checkbox beside the Meteor Internet APN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭ryanmatty

Mine just arrived via courier from meteor online shop. Oredered it on friday morning in PAYG upgrade. Looks and feels nice so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

plazzTT wrote: »
    Camera is woeful alright, no other way of putting it.

Useless at a gig or in a pub I'd say.

Some of the third party camera apps are supposed to give better results. I haven't installed one yet. It'd be interesting for people here to review camera apps as they try them...

My list so far:
    ShopSavvy - bar code reader
    Locale - changes your phone settings based on where you are - uses GPS to know...
    aCurrency - Currency Converter
    Unit Converter - Unit Converter
    IRL Cinema - Cinema Times
    Shazam - Music Recognition

Am looking for a good golf score card and statistics program - might need to wait till I can get access to paid apps. Is there an app for using your free texts?

There doesn't seem to be many apps local to Ireland.

Barcode Scanner - for those weird interweb barcodes
    My Tracks - maps your route on google maps - great for mountainbiking/running etc...
    YourGolf - not enough courses in Ireland & doesn't allow you to delete yet
    Spare Parts - advanced phone settings
    NetSentry - monitors your data usage
    Pintail - allows you to locate you phone if lost
    Advanced Task Killer - for some reason, apps don't shut down when you close them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

As regards carkits, it should be able to connect to it and make and receive calls but due to the file transfer issues it won't be able to import your contacts.

It's imported all my contacts on a Parrot Mki9200

IRL cinema wont start downloading for me. Weird...

My Hero connected to the car & exported contacts without any trouble - have not tried the message reader yet, but I don't expect it to work. Its a built in Blue and Me system...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

<>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

elderlemon wrote: »
    add ...

handcent (threaded sms)
    google skymap
    wifi scanner
    wapedia
    weatherbug
    voice caller id
    google voice search
    spare parts
    shake awake (keep screen on during a call)
    netsentry (track your 2g/3g data usage)
    amazon app

all these are free.

IMHO Google Sky Map is stunning
    and lets not forget the humble Tricorder app

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 aurelio

I have the Hero for a few weeks now, and thought I might share my thoughts so far.

Overall, it is an incredible device, principally because the range of software on it and available from the market, but especially because of the tight integration with a whole range of web-based and/or location-based services.

I have had some reservations. It is generally quite quick, but does seem to slow down as time (sometimes not too much time) passes. Taskilller helps a bit, but not a huge amount. Initially I thought this was a hardware problem, maybe the processor is underpowered, but generally it gets back to very quick (and more than acceptable) performance if switched off fully and then re-started (at least once or possibly twice a day) - I am not a techie, but that suggests to me it is more to do with the software - and hopefully this means that this can be improved with updated software from HTC. Any reaction to this would be most welcome.

The screen is great - I have been using a 1st generation iTouch for music and videos, and find I no longer use it all - the Hero has replaced it and I think the screen for vide and indeed everything else is super.

The keyboard is fine in landscape mode - having used an iTouch (and a blackberry for work)I had some reservations about a touch screen keyboard, and it is a bit fiddly and inaccurate when used in horizontal mode - but any application needing more than a couple of taps can be switched to horizontal and works fine. The predictive typing is also pretty effective.

The quality of the phone itself is excellent - strong clear voice reception at both ends - maybe the best I have had in a phone. Speakerphone is also excellent, I have used it a lot for conference calls for work.

Camera is poor - well documented elsewhere, was never a big deal for me personally.

Battery life is acceptable without being exceptional - I use the phone a fair bit, and find it needs to be charged every night, but I am rarely far from a computer with a USB port so don’t have any real problems.

The real plus is the ingenuity and flexibility of the software and web integration. Today I cycled to work listening to music on a bluetooth headset while creating a MyTrack map for upload to Google - all worked seamlessly!

Having tried a range of different apps, here the ones I use most or have been impressed by....

Music - I found the installed music app clunky and slow, and now use MixZing - seems to be lighter and quicker, with better functionality

Google Listen is fab for podcasts (all of the Google android apps are great) - only weakness is the quality of the search function - ironic really.

BBC News feed is great - pulls in headlines for a whole range of categories, with quick links to the full artice on the BBC website

Facebook - does what it says on the tin, and the integration with the phone directory is great.

Mail - I prefer the Google mail app to the installed mail

Note Everything is the best simple app for notes I have come across - slightly surprised there wasn’t an installed one

Wifi and Bluetooth set up was easy and connects fine - wifi is always reliable, sometimes the connection to bluetooth in the car needs a second go, not sure why.

Astrid is a really great To Do list manager - and it syncs really nicely with Rememberthemilk.com, an free online task manager (no, I had never heard of it before either, but it works!) I really like having seamless integration between the phone and web services like this, which I had never used before, but the ease of access and security of backup is great.

The address book syncs seamlessly with my Gmail account - for the first time in years I am happy that I have all my contacts backed up in one place, as well as available on my phone when I need them. Sounds simple, but has made a huge difference.

A couple of widgets are useful for what I use - nice to have the full scren weather online (will I cycle tomorrow or not!), and the time zone clock widget is useful for travelling.

Cardiotrack is a great app for tracking runs or bike rides, and again syncing with a (free) online service. Google MyTracks is similar, and the novelty of seeing the map pop up on Google with time, speed, distance, elevation etc within seconds hasnt got old!

GoogleSky is fun - and very impressive.

There are tons of location based services - not all of them too useful in Dublin - but hopefully things like Layar will develop. I have used Google Maps with the GPS on for finding my way around a range of cities when travelling, works so well.

chompSMS is the best SMS app I have tried (and I have tried a couple) - again I think it is better than the installed app.

Videoplayer for videos - does what is says on the tin, no fuss. works great.

Geobeagle is great for Geocaching - if you have kids, and haven’t tried it, give it a shot, they will love it.

Bottom line?

Took me a while to get to grips with it - it simply does so much. And the more time I spend with it, the more I like it, the more I use it, and the more indispensable it becomes. My main gripe is the slight lag which seems to build up - and I really hope that gets fixed - but even that I am prepared to forgive at this stage, everything else is so good.

Apologies for the long post, I hope this helps anyone thinking about getting a Hero, and helps those who have one with some thoughts on useful Apps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭ryanmatty

The PAYG upgrade irecieved today from Metor online store is sim free. I put in an o2 simand worked on it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement