Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭paddy2k

aurelio wrote: »
    There are tons of location based services - not all of them too useful in Dublin - but hopefully things like Layar will develop. I have used Google Maps with the GPS on for finding my way around a range of cities when travelling, works so well.

Took me a while to get to grips with it - it simply does so much. And the more time I spend with it, the more I like it, the more I use it, and the more indispensable it becomes. My main gripe is the slight lag which seems to build up - and I really hope that gets fixed - but even that I am prepared to forgive at this stage, everything else is so good.

There are 4 Layars for Dublin, trains, bus, bikes and DAFT.

Maybe try a class 6 microSD card, it's working pretty good for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'd love someone to explain the logic about having a 5mp camera built-in without any sort of flash 0 I mean imagine bringing out a dedicated camera with no flash! It's a lame attempt to copy the iphone well after the event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I'd love someone to explain the logic about having a 5mp camera built-in without any sort of flash 0 I mean imagine bringing out a dedicated camera with no flash! It's a lame attempt to copy the iphone well after the event.
    the HTC is a cheap version of the iPhone, and imo doing a great job. i bought mine, and have taken 2 photos, not because the camera is ****, (its fine), but because if you're really into taking pics you'll have a dedicated camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

drop the contrast down to -2 and the ISO from auto to 400. The shots will look a lot/little better then.
    Tea_Bag wrote: »
    the HTC is a cheap version of the iPhone, and imo doing a great job. i bought mine, and have taken 2 photos, not because the camera is ****, (its fine), but because if you're really into taking pics you'll have a dedicated camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 aurelio

paddy2k wrote: »
    There are 4 Layars for Dublin, trains, bus, bikes and DAFT.

Maybe try a class 6 microSD card, it's working pretty good for me.

Problem isnt really with data transfers from the SD card - its a lag which seems to build up which slows down the operation of the phone generally - swiping from screen to screen, responsiveness when opening apps etc.....
    and it goes away if I shut down the phone and restart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Problem isnt really with data transfers from the SD card - its a lag which seems to build up which slows down the operation of the phone generally - swiping from screen to screen, responsiveness when opening apps etc.....
    and it goes away if I shut down the phone and restart.

Advance Task killer - get it from market. It will allow you to kill running apps in the background. Basically the Hero can multi-thread whereas the iPhone cant. So you can have multiple apps running on the hero in the background - which over time can slow the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭terrarev

EPM wrote: »
    It's imported all my contacts on a Parrot Mki9200
    Bluefoam wrote: »
    My Hero connected to the car & exported contacts without any trouble - have not tried the message reader yet, but I don't expect it to work. Its a built in Blue and Me system...

Really? Maybe your carkits get the info from a supported source so. On Android 1.5 bluetooth doesn't have the Object Push (OOP) and Phone Book Access (PBAP) protocols included and these would be used be a lot of carkits to get phonebook info. These are added in Android 2.0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

terrarev wrote: »
    Really? Maybe your carkits get the info from a supported source so. On Android 1.5 bluetooth doesn't have the Object Push (OOP) and Phone Book Access (PBAP) protocols included and these would be used be a lot of carkits to get phonebook info. These are added in Android 2.0.

Not too sure, but the factory kit I have is based on windows mobile. Works better than my blackberry or tocco - but did make some funny noises during one call yesterday...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,052 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

what you reckon the odds are of Meteor letting me borrow a Hero to check if it connects to my car kit properly? :D

Really want this phone, but need it to connect to my car kit. Have searched online but can't find any confirmation either way. the latest compatibility list doesn't have the Hero mentioned, but it has a load of other HTC phones.

Anyone know if the bluetooth on the Hero as it is, is the same standard/setup as other HTC phones, and which particular phones it would share the standard with?

EDIT - For completeness. My car kit is the THB Bury CC 9060. Compatibility list is here: http://www.bury.com/upload/products/cc9060/compatibility/CC-9060_Compatibility_list_V174_EN.pdf

List of the HTC phones is towards the end of the document.

My hero connect to my hands free kit fine, though Ive only a bog standard Motorola clip to the visor thing.

Bluetooth doesnt allow for files to be sent yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,127 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

hi all, just got my hero yesterday, spent all last night getting the latest modaco rom on and downloading the apps id want etc,

i just have a couple qns:

1) the htc weather widgit, is there anyway of getting a forecast on this as opposed to the current weather? if not is there a weather forecast widgit or app?

2) is there anyway to set the phone to check gmail, update weather etc at certain intervals? im not sure at the moment but everything seems to be in real time, surely that will lead to lots of data use? i have a 1 gig add on so maybe not an issue?

just downloaded weatherbug from the market today. Has forecast and current conditions and looks good.

On the data usage for gmail. I have no data addon, so Im using the 50mb O2 allow and Im not even close to that per day. Get netcounter from the market - it will keep a running total of data usage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 aurelio

voxpop wrote: »
    Advance Task killer - get it from market. It will allow you to kill running apps in the background. Basically the Hero can multi-thread whereas the iPhone cant. So you can have multiple apps running on the hero in the background - which over time can slow the phone.

I have been using taskiller - would Advance Taskiller make much difference? Switching on and off seems to do a lot more than closing apps with taskiller.......

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Cyrus wrote: »
    htc weather widgit, is there anyway of getting a forecast on this as opposed to the current weather? if not is there a weather forecast widgit or app?

Get "the weather channel". Very good IMO. Saved me wearing waterproof clothes yesterday! Its got Current, hourly (covers the next 10 hours), 36 hour, and 10 day forcast. Also uses google map to show you where you are, with a nice gif of the rain cover. Similar to met eireann

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,127 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

voxpop wrote: »
    just downloaded weatherbug from the market today. Has forecast and current conditions and looks good.

On the data usage for gmail. I have no data addon, so Im using the 50mb O2 allow and Im not even close to that per day. Get netcounter from the market - it will keep a running total of data usage.

well i have a gig a month so thats only 30mb or so per day, spose its enough :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭philidub

Hey,

Connected to eircom wifi and every time sceen locks have to go to eircom wifi page to re-connect. Can I keep Wifi connected while screen is locked?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

So I've ordered a Hero, and I'm just wondering what you guys would recommend I do to get the most out of it. What apps etc. I intend to get the latest Modaco ROM on there.

With all the different versions of particular apps I'm just wondering what are the best out there. What do you good folks recommend I get sorted straight away?

Thanks....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,520 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Dr. Loon wrote: »
    So I've ordered a Hero, and I'm just wondering what you guys would recommend I do to get the most out of it. What apps etc. I intend to get the latest Modaco ROM on there.

With all the different versions of particular apps I'm just wondering what are the best out there. What do you good folks recommend I get sorted straight away?

Thanks....
    If you look at the last 20-30 posts above, you'll see lots of recommendations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Mr E wrote: »
    If you look at the last 20-30 posts above, you'll see lots of recommendations.

Believe me, I've read the entire thread, though I missed the last page with app recommendations somehow! Anyway, that's kind of my point. There's so much, that I really just wanted to know the absolute essentials in one succinct post. I suppose it's a bit much to ask though. Considering everything is here.

what you reckon the odds are of Meteor letting me borrow a Hero to check if it connects to my car kit properly? :D

Really want this phone, but need it to connect to my car kit. Have searched online but can't find any confirmation either way. the latest compatibility list doesn't have the Hero mentioned, but it has a load of other HTC phones.

Anyone know if the bluetooth on the Hero as it is, is the same standard/setup as other HTC phones, and which particular phones it would share the standard with?

EDIT - For completeness. My car kit is the THB Bury CC 9060. Compatibility list is here: http://www.bury.com/upload/products/cc9060/compatibility/CC-9060_Compatibility_list_V174_EN.pdf

List of the HTC phones is towards the end of the document.

I have the same carkit and the Hero connects to it fine. You'll be able to make and receive calls. But as I said before, it won't download your contact details yet so if you're making a call you will either have to know the number and manually enter it on the bury screen, or you'll have to dial it on your phone.

• Advertisement

I have the same carkit and the Hero connects to it fine. You'll be able to make and receive calls. But as I said before, it won't download your contact details yet so if you're making a call you will either have to know the number and manually enter it on the bury screen, or you'll have to dial it on your phone.

Ugh - like going back to the LG Viewty. Damn it, kind of puts me off. Wonder if the bluetooth updates in Android 2.0 will actually fix this.

Cheers for letting me know though.

I have been using taskiller - would Advance Taskiller make much difference? Switching on and off seems to do a lot more than closing apps with taskiller.......

Taskkiller should do the same, I would think. Ive only used advanced taskkiller. Do you have a modaco rom or standard ?

Mine runs pretty much all the time without slowdown (killing task periodically)

cyrus wrote:
    well i have a gig a month so thats only 30mb or so per day, spose its enough

Ive used 42mb over the last 7 days. Today Ive used a paltry 5.5mb. If you are not downloading podcasts/watching youtub/etc, you should be fine.:)

@Dr.Loon - There are loads of apps out there, i depends on what you want to do with the phone that dictates what apps to get. At least get the following:
    Advance Task Killer Free
    PowerManager
    NetCounter
    Listen (for podcasts)
    SMS Popup
    Weatherbug

Ugh - like going back to the LG Viewty. Damn it, kind of puts me off. Wonder if the bluetooth updates in Android 2.0 will actually fix this.

Cheers for letting me know though.

No problem. Android 2 should fix this. They've improved the way bluetooth works and added the required protocols.

No problem. Android 2 should fix this. They've improved the way bluetooth works and added the required protocols.

Do you happen to know what version your THB Bury is running on? I know mine is quite old. Haven't updated it in a year and a half, not sure how easy/hard it is to update it either.

Do you happen to know what version your THB Bury is running on? I know mine is quite old. Haven't updated it in a year and a half, not sure how easy/hard it is to update it either.

Not sure what version I'm on but I've not updated since I got it about 9 months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I've used about 75MB in two days, what the hell am I doing thats so hungry??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 podgeywodgey5

Does anyone know when android 2.0 will be available and will it be a case of installing straight from HTC?

Thanks
    PW

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Scoobydooo

Anyone have the internet and mms settings for 3 ireland ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I had thought that Android 2.0 will come with google navigation software as standard. Motorola DROID on Verizon comes with Google Navigation Beta, but looking at the spec for the phone in Europe where it's called the Motorola Milestone it doesn't have Google Navigation, however it does have a native Motorola Navigation software (Motonav). Does anyone know more about the chances of Android 2.0 actually having Google Navigation on our non-google-branded Heros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Zagato wrote: »
    I had thought that Android 2.0 will come with google navigation software as standard. Motorola DROID on Verizon comes with Google Navigation Beta, but looking at the spec for the phone in Europe where it's called the Motorola Milestone it doesn't have Google Navigation, however it does have a native Motorola Navigation software (Motonav). Does anyone know more about the chances of Android 2.0 actually having Google Navigation on our non-google-branded Heros.

Google have promised to make it available once their maps are good enough in the various areas.

Not sure when that will be or what stage they need to get to.

Shane

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement