Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭paddy2k

aurelio wrote: »
    Problem isnt really with data transfers from the SD card - its a lag which seems to build up which slows down the operation of the phone generally - swiping from screen to screen, responsiveness when opening apps etc.....
    and it goes away if I shut down the phone and restart.

It's recommened to have a faster card because the OS cache's it's swap data in a partition on the SD card. From looking at other forums and sites they recommend a class 4/6 card and this will speed up the UI's performance.
    Scoobydooo wrote: »
    Anyone have the internet and mms settings for 3 ireland ??
    The data settings are simples, set the APN to "3ireland.ie" and that's it. Dunno about the MMS ones. Should be somewhere else on boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I've used about 75MB in two days, what the hell am I doing thats so hungry??!

My phone was saying the same thing when I had a different data monitor, I think it was called phonalyzr (but not sure), since I've started using netcounter I'm only using 3 - 10MB per day with reasonable usage

Was just looking at what programs I use and God I must get rid of some, but here are the ones I actually use:

AK Notepad -useful for todo/shopping lists
    AndNav2 -slow and navigation doesn't work for me, but allows me to cache maps which is very handy for going abroad to cities where I don't want to use mobile data
    ASTRO - file manager, there should be a stock one
    Barcode Scanner
    BBC News
    Battery Widget
    Bubble -Level app
    Daily Strip -access to 20 or so popular daily comic strips
    DopeWars - Classic Palm game (I think)
    Google Sky Map
    IRL Cinema Guide
    Layar
    Marine Compass -cool 3D compass
    Net Counter
    Next Dart
    Red Stone - Puzzle game
    RoboDefense Free -Tower game
    Shazam
    Spare Parts
    Taskiller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭philidub

Hey, only got my hero on Saturday, would I have Android 2.0 pre installed already?

Thanks

P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

Is there any good games like that were on the iPhones like Paperflick, Pool etc? Or any accelorometer based ones? Cheers

^^^ @ Philidub - Nope its not out yet, wait a while.

philidub wrote: »
    Hey, only got my hero on Saturday, would I have Android 2.0 pre installed already?

Thanks

P

Not a chance! Android 2.0 has only been released on one device, the Motorola Droid. HTC will take a while to port the Sense UI over to it. If it's out by Christmas we'll be lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

philidub wrote: »

Thanks

P

No,

Version 2 has not been released for the Hero yet. Only out on one handset so far. The Motorola Droid in the states.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭philidub

Cool thanks guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Are there any apps that add peoples birthdays to your calender ? Also, is there an app that lets you edit how peoples photo appears when they call you ? I'd like it to be full screen instead of just a little photo.

Also - is it worth rooting the phone ?

Does anyone know how to import a security cert into the Hero.

It is a EAP TLS Wifi cert for a corporate wifi network.

Can't find a sucessfully attempt on google.

Shane

Spoke to soon.

Found the answer. Finds the cert if in .pfx format, which mine was not.

Shane

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote: »
    Are there any apps that add peoples birthdays to your calender ? Also, is there an app that lets you edit how peoples photo appears when they call you ? I'd like it to be full screen instead of just a little photo.

Also - is it worth rooting the phone ?

The phonebooks Facebook integration should take care of than. When you link a contact to their facebook profile it creates an entry for their birthday too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

paddy2k wrote: »
    The phonebooks Facebook integration should take care of than. When you link a contact to their facebook profile it creates an entry for their birthday too.

Does it add it to the calender though ?

I wish there was an app for train times like there is for dart.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

finally got my hero!

EDIT: Nevermind. Got it :)

finally got my hero!

quick question though. i got chompsms installed, when i get a message, chomps sms tone is played then suddenly stopped by the heros message tone. any way to remove it?

If you go into the (Built in)messaging app, go to settings and turn off notifications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

rizzee wrote: »
    Is there any good games like that were on the iPhones like Paperflick, Pool etc? Or any accelorometer based ones? Cheers

Hi Shane, any chance you can answer my question there? You seem to be one of the top men with this phone and has been very helpful ;)

To tell you the truth i have not used any games other than Teeter which came with it.

I am sure i will get around to it but to many other apps to play with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 aurelio

voxpop wrote: »
    Taskkiller should do the same, I would think. Ive only used advanced taskkiller. Do you have a modaco rom or standard ?

Mine runs pretty much all the time without slowdown (killing task periodically)

I have the standard Rom - and not that comfortable going to modaco - have tried Advance Taskiller and does seem to work more effectively than Taskiller - but turning on and off still works best - and sounds as if the OS memory management is the issue?
    eg some of the default apps start up automatically, (eg Mail, Peep, Footprints etc) doesnt appear to be an option to uninstall the default apps and stop the automatic start up. Altho Advance taskiller does help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

[EDIT] Got it working, sorry! Had to reset to default APN, then re-added but with just these settings;
    * APN Name: O2 IE Internet
    * APN: internet
    * MCC: 272
    * MNC: 02[/EDIT]

Lads, does anyone know the O2 various data and mms settings. I have one access point configured as below, but still can't get connected to the internet through it... any ideas? There seems to be various conflicting info, so I was hoping someone who has their settings in and working might confirm for me please? Ta!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 aurelio

paddy2k wrote: »
    It's recommened to have a faster card because the OS cache's it's swap data in a partition on the SD card. From looking at other forums and sites they recommend a class 4/6 card and this will speed up the UI's performance.

Ok thanks I will try that, appreciate the help

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

was looking for a car & mains charger on ebay and all the pics of chargers have the standard mini-usb on them, but the connection on the bottom of the hero is different.

am I missing something here - are they compatible ??

k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

karltimber wrote: »
    was looking for a car & mains charger on ebay and all the pics of chargers have the standard mini-usb on them, but the connection on the bottom of the hero is different.

k

I've been using the mini usb charger from my tom tom in the car... & the data cable from my blackberry...

karltimber wrote: »

k

The Hero connection is standard Mini USB

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

good so far! currently installed:

Hi MSN
    Quickoffice
    Gensoid
    Snesoid
    Hungry!
    Tunewiki
    Wapedia
    TM-Ladder
    chompsms
    OI File Manager
    Google Sky Map
    Tone Picker
    Translator
    Scientific Calc
    Alarmed Lite
    Quick Uninstall

Along with the others. Not a fan of the HTC Music app so I replaced it with tunewiki, not a fan of the messaging system either, got the far more attractive chompsms in its place.

From what I've read: Mini USB will work for charging and data syncronisation although the hero cable also supports audio. This is why the left hand side of the usb port is not angled.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extusb#Proprietary_connectors_and_formats

so will ANY usb charger work ie ebay has a lot of mains & car chargers for Iphones (different lead of course), so will these work for the hero with a mini-usb lead - same output voltage ??

thanks
    k

I think the HTC charger does 1A at 5V. I wouldn't want to be going over that myself.

Normal USB is 500mA @ 5V per port so the HTC charger is like charging your hero from 2 USB ports.

Same output on all USB. It is an industry standard so that all computers and mains chargers work on all devices.

I use three different chargers and all work fine with my Hero and O2 XDA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I want to put a list together of data issues people are having with the Meteor service, to post on their forum. There are some services that don't work & I believe they may be due to some 'ports' being closed on the Meteor network. The problems I am experiencing do not occur over wifi.

Please add any issues you are having.

google contacts - won't sync
    google calendar - won't sync
    my tracks - won't send data
    playgolf - won't sync data

That's true for actual usb ports on computers but many usb wall-plug manufacturers go over the 500mA standard.

• Advertisement

true - just looking at some chargers on ebay and they go up to 2.

and read this on amazon too - here

shane -are they Hero specific chargers or just usb mains/car ones -generic.

k

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement