Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

baz8080 wrote: »
    That's true for actual usb ports on computers but many usb wall-plug manufacturers go over the 500mA standard.

However the device can negotiate the higher mA if it needs it. The charger does not force the max mA.

Currently the limits are 2.5mA, 100mA, 500mA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,520 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Standard USB charger, Karl. I'm using my old Windows Mobile charger as a spare charger in work.

However the device can negotiate the higher mA if it needs it. The charger does not force the max mA.

Currently the limits are 2.5mA, 100mA, 500mA

Interesting, so the hero has to ask for the 1A when connected to the wall-plug? I take it that means that it would be safe to charge standard devices that are only expecting 500mA with the Hero's 1A charger?

karltimber wrote: »
    true - just looking at some chargers on ebay and they go up to 2.

and read this on amazon too - here

shane -are they Hero specific chargers or just usb mains/car ones -generic.

k

There's the one that came with the box but i don't think it really matters.

I have used one for a blackberry, Generic ebay one, O2 XDA and one for a camera. No problems

baz8080 wrote: »
    Interesting, so the hero has to ask for the 1A when connected to the wall-plug? I take it that means that it would be safe to charge standard devices that are only expecting 500mA with the Hero's 1A charger?

Thats my reading of the standards. It is intelligent devices that can ask for a higher measurment form compatible chargers.

• Advertisement

Cool, thanks.

@BlueFoam. The google contacts sync worked fine for me the first day that I got the phone although that was on WiFi. Since then I've been having issues with both WiFi and 3G but I need to test it again tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Alot of the syncing functionality is based around google login. Can you log into google chat ? I found issues with downloading from market when on the office network. Turned out is was because the port for google chat was blocked - so I couldnt download from market.

You can debug your connection by connecting to your computer and running logcat while trying various services. You should be able to see from the messages if ports are blocked.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I want to put a list together of data issues people are having with the Meteor service, to post on their forum. There are some services that don't work & I believe they may be due to some 'ports' being closed on the Meteor network. The problems I am experiencing do not occur over wifi.

Please add any issues you are having.

google contacts - won't sync
    google calendar - won't sync
    my tracks - won't send data
    playgolf - won't sync data

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

great info lads/lassies -

will ordera car & spare mains one today.

goodstuff,

k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

My screen keeps getting brighter and dimmer when I'm typing a text message. Giving me a headache!

What could be causing this? I have the Modaco 2.9 ROM installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

It's the automatic backlight. You can disable it through settings and chose the brightness manually. I haven't a clue though if a different RAM makes any difference to this...bit lost on all that stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

voxpop wrote: »
    You can debug your connection by connecting to your computer and running logcat while trying various services. You should be able to see from the messages if ports are blocked.

Thanks. I googled 'logcat' without much luck, do you have a link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

EPM wrote: »
    It's the automatic backlight. You can disable it through settings and chose the brightness manually

Great, thanks!

I'm indoors, and it was going up and down every few seconds. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Thanks. I googled 'logcat' without much luck, do you have a link?

its part of the android debugger (adb)

you connect your hero to your computer and run the debugger from command line. Once in the debugger run logcat and you will get debugging output.

I have the exe here, but boards will prob block it if I try and attach it. Its in the Android SDK - you might be able to find it stand alone on the net somewhere

Just discovered Google's Listen app (based on recommendation in this thread). I've been listening to podcasts all day... absolutely fantastic app, very well done. Search for podcasts by keyword, download podcasts to phone for offline listening, subscribe to podcasts to download new ones automatically, set it to download over WiFi only.....

Really recommend it.... brilliant application, and thousands of podcasts available.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Are there any apps (other than andnav) that make use of openstreetmap data and provide turn by turn voice instruction on the Hero?

I'm using CoPilot8 but would love to play with OSM to see if it is better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Fedule

So here's an odd one.

I've added and selected a custom notification effect (it's the "puzzle solved" jingle from Metroid Prime). It plays properly, but for some reason, when I get a text (texts being the most common thing resulting in notifications for me) it still plays the default text message sound.

...help?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Hi all :)

Just got my htc hero yesterday - loving it so far, but slightly missing the n95.. find it's quicker to text with buttons.. and finding the camera is very jerky.

Just one major problem to report.. and this could be the result of myself being a dumb****, but any advice would be appreciated; firstly, my simcard doesn't lock in with the holder. If I were to open the back off my phone and hold it face up, both battery and simcard would fall out. The holder only locks correct when there's no simcard in it.

Secondly; the microSD card. When inserted, it tends to poke out of the side - and I can't lock down the back of the phone correctly over it.

Any advice/opinions would be appreciated :)

<edit>Oh, and the snes/megadrive emulators - do these work well, considering the phone is full touch?</edit>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Anyone know how to change your phone contacts to Google contacts?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Rodg3

Fedule wrote: »
    So here's an odd one.

I've added and selected a custom notification effect (it's the "puzzle solved" jingle from Metroid Prime). It plays properly, but for some reason, when I get a text (texts being the most common thing resulting in notifications for me) it still plays the default text message sound.

...help?

Go into your "Inbox" for messages and hit the menu button. then select settings and scroll down. there's an option there to set what you want the message notification to be. :)

Now that that's out of the way, here's one for you lot. I was having massive trouble syncing my contacts from Google to my phone so last night I did a factory reset. The contacts sync worked like a charm and all that, but not i'm unable to connect to the data network, 3G, Edge or otherwise. I ahve your standard network connectivity and all, and wireless is turned off, but I just can't get a data connection. Any suggestions?

Edit: Scrub the mystery, found the problem.

My APN settings were wiped when i did the reset. Can someone who has the phone take a minute to post the settings located in
    Settings> Wireless Controls> Mobile Network Settings> Access Point Names.
    There are no entries on the meteor site for HERO settings at the moment, so this is the only way for me to get the settings.

Fedule wrote: »
    So here's an odd one.

...help?

You can set up different notification sounds for different services. IE I have a different one for Gmail, exchange mail and Test messages.

Go into Messages, Menu, Settings, Notification Settings (At the bottom) then select sound.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ptashek

Scoobydooo wrote: »
    Anyone have the internet and mms settings for 3 ireland ??

Yes. Here:
    http://lukasz.szmit.eu/2009/11/13/android-on-3-ireland/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭superfootyfan

Just wondering does anyone have the O2 mms and internet settings ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Just wondering does anyone have the O2 mms and internet settings ??
    Assuming you have a data add-on here they are :)
    Internet
    Name: O2 ISP
    APN: Internet

MMS
    Name: O2 MMS
    APN: wap.dol.ie
    Proxy : 62.40.32.40
    Port: 8080
    Username: user
    Password: user
    Server: http://www.o2.ie
    MMSC: http://mmsc.mms.o2.ie:8002
    proxy address: 62.40.32.40
    proxy port: 8080

Anything not there can be left blank or at its default

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Is anyone using Market enabler? I'm trying to get beebplayer and in market enabler I don't have an option for any of the UK networks. Was wondering does anyone know custom settings for any of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

So got my Hero yesterday and am so far very happy with it :)

Have downloaded netcounter, google sky map, barcode scanner, Shazam...and other stuff I can't remember now.

Only thing that bugs me is the threaded SMS messages. I don't like that if I text someone a week ago and then send another unrelated text this week, it attaches it all to the one thread. And I can't seem to get it into a classic view...if that even exists?

Still though, grand little phone :D

There's loads of different SMS apps out there. I'm sure there'll be one to suit you. I'm still looking for one myself, but I quite like the threaded view. Apparently it's advisable to use a different app as the stock one seems to cause issues with battery usage.

Yenwod wrote: »
    And I can't seem to get it into a classic view...if that even exists?

Press the button with the 3 horizontal lines.

Dr. Loon wrote: »
    There's loads of different SMS apps out there. I'm sure there'll be one to suit you. I'm still looking for one myself, but I quite like the threaded view. Apparently it's advisable to use a different app as the stock one seems to cause issues with battery usage.
    Really coz I would use texts quite a lot...must investigate this battery thing
    Mr E wrote: »
    Press the button with the 3 horizontal lines.
    Am I being terribly stupid or where is this? When I'm in the thread and press menu, the only thing resembling that is "All Messages" which just brings be back to my list of threads

Yenwod wrote: »
    Really coz I would use texts quite a lot...must investigate this battery thing

Yeah. See here;
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/29/workaround-for-htc-hero-battery-life-issues-discovered/
    I tried Chompsms and didn't like it. I'm not surprised my battery runs low quickly seeing as all I've done is fiddle with the phone since I got it.

• Advertisement

Dr. Loon wrote: »
    Yeah. See here;
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/29/workaround-for-htc-hero-battery-life-issues-discovered/
    I tried Chompsms and didn't like it. I'm not surprised my battery runs low quickly seeing as all I've done is fiddle with the phone since I got it.
    ah interesting - going to have a look at the sms apps in the market tonight

And haha, me too. It's very difficult to judge a new phones battery life in the first few days

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement