Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I've had no issues with battery and sending a text?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭rednoggin

What is the best browser for the android? I was using Opera, which loaded pages really quick but sometimes the text box kept disappearing when i was entering text which was so frustrating. Went back to the stock browser with the hero.. its just slower! Anyone else recommend other browsers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭superfootyfan

Using handcent sms but when I receive a text all I see is the phone number not the actual name I have it stored as which is very annoying ! any solutions im sure its something very simple

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Is anyone else having problems with my tracks?

Anytime I try upload my track to google maps, it give me an error.
    There was an error while sending your track to Google My Map. Please try again later. There was an error while sending your track to Google Docs. Please try again later.

Cant get the bleeding thing to upload anything! It gets to about 50% and then up pops this error. If I try add it to an existing map, it tries to load my maps up, but never finds any. My guess is that its not logging into my google account, any ideas how to tell it my google account details. Ive already put them into the phone for my gmail acccount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ptashek

I'm not surprised my battery runs low quickly seeing as all I've done is fiddle with the phone since I got it.

I'm getting at least 24 hours (1.5 days in real terms) on a single charge with WiFi on all day (most of it connected!), some GPS, streaming radio over 3G (~1h/day), a few texts and calls, some music, and e-mail pulled in the background few times an hour. 3G is by far the biggest power hog.

Frankly, I think the Hero, and Android, do an impressive job in terms of power management.

• Advertisement

rednoggin wrote: »
    What is the best browser for the android? I was using Opera, which loaded pages really quick but sometimes the text box kept disappearing when i was entering text which was so frustrating. Went back to the stock browser with the hero.. its just slower! Anyone else recommend other browsers?

I don't think there is anything better (*) than the stock one. At least for now. It may be slow(ish), but is very well made, stable and perfectly usable once you get used to its quirks (bookmarks etc.).

(*) Actually, is there any other browser than Opera that runs on Android? Steel doesn't count - it's just a custom UI for the default engine.

My guess is that its not logging into my google account, any ideas how to tell it my google account details. Ive already put them into the phone for my gmail acccount.

Is this account by any chance a "Google Apps for Domains" account?
    MyTracks doesn't work with those AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

I've been checking out alot of reviews for this phone, and universally they say that there is a bit of lag when zooming and scrolling, especially compared to the iphone, but that HTC are working on optomising the software. These reviews are all 3-4 months old, so have HTC actually come up with improvements, or is it a work in progress?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

ptashek wrote: »
    I'm getting at least 24 hours (1.5 days in real terms) on a single charge with WiFi on all day (most of it connected!), some GPS, streaming radio over 3G (~1h/day), a few texts and calls, some music, and e-mail pulled in the background few times an hour. 3G is by far the biggest power hog.

Frankly, I think the Hero, and Android, do an impressive job in terms of power management.

It's performing alot better since I stopped at it constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭MrMan

OSiriS wrote: »
    I've been checking out alot of reviews for this phone, and universally they say that there is a bit of lag when zooming and scrolling, especially compared to the iphone, but that HTC are working on optomising the software. These reviews are all 3-4 months old, so have HTC actually come up with improvements, or is it a work in progress?

The issue of lag was fixed with a software update and all phones ship with the new software.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,127 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

lads whats the best app to switch off wifi when you are not within 100m say of a certain location?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

MrMan wrote: »
    The issue of lag was fixed with a software update and all phones ship with the new software.

Good to hear, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Cyrus wrote: »
    lads whats the best app to switch off wifi when you are not within 100m say of a certain location?

I have an app called 'Locale', gets good reviews. I haven't tested it fully yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Using handcent sms but when I receive a text all I see is the phone number not the actual name I have it stored as which is very annoying ! any solutions im sure its something very simple

same happens to me with showsms or popup sms. Also have all my contacts on the sim, cause i ported them over from old phone and it doesnt pick them up when i want to send a text - have to go into people and pick it from there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

I don't think there is anything better (*) than the stock one. At least for now. It may be slow(ish), but is very well made, stable and perfectly usable once you get used to its quirks (bookmarks etc.).

(*) Actually, is there any other browser than Opera that runs on Android? Steel doesn't count - it's just a custom UI for the default engine.

I can't find any others. Opera Mini is very poor on it, looks like a very quick port to Android. Entering in URL looks very messy especially.

Hopefully Opera Mobile and Mozilla Fennec will be out for Android soon. Skyfire is in alpha (invite only), public beta soon.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Is this account by any chance a "Google Apps for Domains" account?
    MyTracks doesn't work with those AFAIK.
    Not a clue tbh. But i tried to upload the track using the wifi connection and had no problems. Could be a similar issue to the one peep has. It only works on the wifi, not via meteor data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭rednoggin

I just installed dolphin browser, and its seems better than the stock broswer. Its quicker and has a cool feature for shortcuts. for example, if you write H on the the screen it automatically directs you to you're homepage. A really handy feature that saves time for typing in adresses. You can customise it for different pages. Only downside that i can find is that is doesnt have multitouch or flash. Hopefully the firefox browser will have everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Does anyone know if the PAYG Hero's they're selling in Meteor are still unlocked?

I was thinking of dropping into Dundrum to pick one up today ... they're not answering their phones!!

Not a clue tbh. But i tried to upload the track using the wifi connection and had no problems. Could be a similar issue to the one peep has. It only works on the wifi, not via meteor data.

Must be a Meteor thing then. It works just grand on 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Can anyone help on this-when I hold down on an image in the internet browser to save it to the phone it says that it is unable to be downloaded and to free up some space. I can't figure out how to do this and make the practically empty sd card the default memory for everything

• Advertisement

EPM wrote: »
    Can anyone help on this-when I hold down on an image in the internet browser to save it to the phone it says that it is unable to be downloaded and to free up some space. I can't figure out how to do this and make the practically empty sd card the default memory for everything

It should do this by default, and (AFAIK) there is no system setting for it.
    Are you sure the card is formatted properly AND that the phone can see it?

Go into "Settings" -> "SD card & phone storage". If your card works fine, you should see something like on the attached image.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

That's what I see in there alright. It only seems to be a problem when you want to save a photo from the screen and you want to download it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

One problem, one question

Tried to install HTC sync on my PC. Followed all the instructions an while it seems to fully install, when I open it a blank warning (! in a yellow triangle) pops up. Obviously I don't know what the problem with it is since it's blank? anyone come across this before?

Question is, can you save apps onto your sd card instead of the phone. I bought a new card with more space on It but can't see any way of getting the apps onto it?

Thanks

EPM wrote: »
    That's what I see in there alright. It only seems to be a problem when you want to save a photo from the screen and you want to download it

If you're familiar with ADB or DDMS, you could hookup the phone to your PC and look at the system log, via logcat, when the problem occurs. It usually gives a fairly good hint at what's wrong.

Yenwod wrote: »
    Tried to install HTC sync on my PC. Followed all the instructions an while it seems to fully install, when I open it a blank warning (! in a yellow triangle) pops up. Obviously I don't know what the problem with it is since it's blank? anyone come across this before?

Yes. You must install the Android device driver for this to work fully.
    Here's the download page: http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html
    Question is, can you save apps onto your sd card instead of the phone. I bought a new card with more space on It but can't see any way of getting the apps onto it?

No, not by default. This can be done on a "rooted" phone with some customization to the ROM and the SD card. Basically, you need to unpack the original boot image, make a few small changes to the init.rc script ("on init" section), repack the whole lot and flash it to your device. After that's done the SD card needs to be repartitioned, and voila.

Alternatively, if you trust the guys that make custom ROMs (I don't), you could just flash MoDaCo Hero ROM, which has this on by default and pretty much automated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

if you install a 3rd party ROM, such as the modaco, does it void any warranty's or anything?

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    if you install a 3rd party ROM, such as the modaco, does it void any warranty's or anything?

It may if you're on a branded phone, but I guess it depends on contract T&C. In case of sim-free phones it doesn't, or at least I can't see any clause that it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,127 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

lads

has anyone got a streaming radio app that picks up irish stations?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

I noticed that when I receive a call the phone only rings twice and then goes to voice mail, Ive asked ppl who have rang me and they say that for them it rang a number of times

Is this happening to anyone else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

delop wrote: »
    I noticed that when I receive a call the phone only rings twice and then goes to voice mail, Ive asked ppl who have rang me and they say that for them it rang a number of times

Is this happening to anyone else?

No, working fine for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement