Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,520 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

delop wrote: »
    I noticed that when I receive a call the phone only rings twice and then goes to voice mail, Ive asked ppl who have rang me and they say that for them it rang a number of times

Is this happening to anyone else?

Go back a few pages, I posted a fix for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,052 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mr E wrote: »
    Go back a few pages, I posted a fix for this.

your fix was to change the number of rings before going to voice mail wasn't it? In this posters case it seems to be he isn't being notified of the call at the correct time (it is ringing for the person calling him, but not for him) which would be different.

Increasing the number of rings would mean it lasts longer for the poster, but then it would just be masking the problem, not solving it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

ptashek wrote: »
    Yes. You must install the Android device driver for this to work fully.
    Here's the download page: http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html
    Okay either something is going wrong or I'm being terribly thick...I fear the latter!

The HTC Sync file that I downloaded from the HTC website seems to have come with a HTC Driver? Is this the driver needed?

I went to that link and although I can see instructions as to how to "Perform a fresh installation" - I can't see any file to download on that page?

Clearly I am missing something??

UPDATE: Tried to install HTC Sync on another computer and it worked no problem. There must be something on my PC that is conflicting with the HTC software? The question is, what??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Did you turn off your anti-virus? Crashed my work machine when I didn't do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ptashek

Cyrus wrote: »
    lads

has anyone got a streaming radio app that picks up irish stations?

TuneWiki does Shoutcast - Dublin's 98 and Today FM are there. Not sure about the other ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

EPM wrote: »
    Did you turn off your anti-virus? Crashed my work machine when I didn't do that
    I did indeed. It looks like HTC Sync has installed, it's in my Start>All Programs menu, along with the HTC Driver. It's just when I start it, a blank warning dialog pops up...and this also seems to pop up when I turn on my computer? Bizarre!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,127 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

folks

how much free ram do you all usually have before running task killer, im on modaco 2.9 and its normally at 35-40mb, is that about right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

folks

how much free ram do you all usually have before running task killer, im on modaco 2.9 and its normally at 35-40mb, is that about right?

Yeah mine is sometimes around 25MB before I run it.

Is it possible to rename icons? I'm using chompSMS for texts, but I'd like the icon on my home screen to say "Messages" or "Texts" instead of "chompS..."

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Im looking about getting a Hero myself sometime between now and xmas...........going to port to Meteor and should get one for around €100..............few questions for the people on this thread that have one.........

Do i need to "root" it as soon as i get it ? Is this difficult ?

Does it need to be "rooted" in order to install all the wonderful apps people have listed in previous posts ?

What size\class micro sd do you recommend ?

All recommendations welcome !

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Ive done zero of what you have mentioned above, and mines working all dandy.

They come with a 2gb SD card, which is grand for me, I dont want to use my phone as a mp3 player, not yet anyways.

Not sure how much memory ive left actually... where can I find this out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Delboy5 wrote: »
    Im looking about getting a Hero myself sometime between now and xmas...........going to port to Meteor and should get one for around €100..............few questions for the people on this thread that have one.........

Does it need to be "rooted" in order to install all the wonderful apps people have listed in previous posts ?

All recommendations welcome !

No you dont have to root it. Majority of the apps work fine. (This in not the iPhone, No big restrictions on it)

Card size depends on what you want to use it for. If it is music, go for 16GB. But 8GB should be fine for most things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

Hey, hows the current stock flow of the Heros going? They wouldn't still have to be pre-ordered would they? Also, ive a great condition Nokia 1680 and charger, would I still get 30 euro off? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

*Has to be a CLASS 6 or better microSD card*

Buying a class 0-1-2-3 card will result in awful performance and you'll start to hate the phone

Lads, still having a problem with my phone when downloading anything on my web browser. I get the message "Cannot finish download. There is not enough space."

Anyone got a clue? This is really starting to get annoying. SD card is working fine:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Lads, still having a problem with my phone when downloading anything on my web browser. I get the message "Cannot finish download. There is not enough space."

Anyone got a clue? This is really starting to get annoying. SD card is working fine:confused:

Goto => Settings => SD Card and phone storage and let us know what the readings are?

Also have you the usb cable attached to a pc and the sd card mounted. If so the phone cannot use the SD card while it is mounted on a pc.

Not connected to PC. This is what it says:

Total Space
    1,883 MB

Available Space
    1,795 MB

Unmount SD card
    Unmount the SD card for safe removal

Format SD card
    Format (erase) the SD card

Internal Phone Storage
    Available Space
    117 MB

Looks normal to me

Yeah looks ok. 1.7 GB available on your SD so should be fine. :confused: Have you a file manager that is pointing browser downloads to the phone memory instead of SD maybe?

Dingatron wrote: »
    Yeah looks ok. 1.7 GB available on your SD so should be fine. :confused: Have you a file manager that is pointing browser downloads to the phone memory instead of SD maybe?

Just uninstalled astro there and it makes no difference. Cheers for the help btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

rizzee wrote: »
    Hey, hows the current stock flow of the Heros going? They wouldn't still have to be pre-ordered would they? Also, ive a great condition Nokia 1680 and charger, would I still get 30 euro off? Thanks
    Anyone?

rizzee wrote: »
    Anyone?

I just gave my local meteor store a buzz an hour before I popped in. They'll usually answer but it might take a few attempts to get through.

• Advertisement

Just uninstalled astro there and it makes no difference. Cheers for the help btw

Ok the only thing I can think of then is that the SD card is read only and you don't have write permissions.

If you have root download ConnectBot and in local console type

ls -l

sdcard should have the following permissions
    drwxrwxrwx

You can probably see permissions through astro also. Can you put a file on the sd card from your pc?

folks

Mine rarely goes below 45MB, usually stays around 60MB and 72MB seems to be the max. Stock HTC 2.73.405.5 ROM with self-made boot.img to store apps on SD.

Delboy5 wrote: »
    Im looking about getting a Hero myself sometime

Go for it!)
    No, you can do most stuff without rooting unless you really want to exploit the device beyond what it was designed for :)

Rooting depends on which ROM will you get on the device.
    It it's the original 1.78.x - easy peasy. The 2.73.x release patched a few holes and disabled "fastboot usb", but there's still a way of getting root (flashrec).

In most cases, no. Usually apps that require root are marked by the devs as such in Android Market.
    If you want to root the device and have your apps and cache stored on its SD card, get a "Class 6". Size... well whatever you think you might need.

I'm using a Transcend 8GB Class 6 and it delivers as expected. The 2GB Class 2 that came with the phone wasn't really up to the job.

I guess at this stage it's worth doing a factory reset... This will basically wipe the phone clean, so make sure you have backups :)

Dingatron wrote: »
    Ok the only thing I can think of then is that the SD card is read only and you don't have write permissions.

If you have root download ConnectBot and in local console type

ls -l

sdcard should have the following permissions
    drwxrwxrwx

You can probably see permissions through astro also. Can you put a file on the sd card from your pc?

This shouldn't be a problem. Android mounts the SD with all bits unmasked (basically a 0777 permission set). This is what it looks like by default:
    /dev/block//vold/179:1 /sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_utime=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8 0 0

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭paddy2k

TuneWiki does Shoutcast - Dublin's 98 and Today FM are there. Not sure about the other ones.

great call on TuneWiki, I'd been using A Online Radio but it wasn't lettin me listen to Phantom on Meteor so I had been using ConnectBot to ssh tunnel so I could listen to the radio....

paddy2k wrote: »
    great call on TuneWiki, I'd been using A Online Radio but it wasn't lettin me listen to Phantom on Meteor so I had been using ConnectBot to ssh tunnel so I could listen to the radio....

how do you find the stations on tunewiki?

Mine rarely goes below 45MB, usually stays around 60MB and 72MB seems to be the max. Stock HTC 2.73.405.5 ROM with self-made boot.img to store apps on SD.

maybe my issue is that my apps arent on the sd? how can i check, mine seems to be going down to 30mb and all sorts of stuff seems to start up for no reason, cardio trainer, bbc web, music, browser etc despite me not having opened them since last killing tasks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 cwjcwjcwj

I am thinking of buying HERO. My major consideration is SKYPE because I use a lot of SKYPE and looking for a phone to support skype. Anyone of you using SKYPE on HERO? How does it work? Heard that it is not a proper VOIP platform where you have to dial a number and it will use your free minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

cwjcwjcwj wrote: »
    I am thinking of buying HERO. My major consideration is SKYPE because I use a lot of SKYPE and looking for a phone to support skype. Anyone of you using SKYPE on HERO? How does it work? Heard that it is not a proper VOIP platform where you have to dial a number and it will use your free minutes.

THERE is a SKYPE beta APPLICATION on market. It SEEMS to WORK ok, just dont EXPECT to be using VIDEO calls with IT. VOIP is ok, but you NEED a good signal to USE it. On EDGE in our LOCAL area, its ok, but a LITTLE bit jumpy. HOPE that helps.

(Sorry, I saw the caps in your post and couldnt help myself :pac:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement