Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭-maccer-

cwjcwjcwj wrote: »
    I am thinking of buying HERO. My major consideration is SKYPE because I use a lot of SKYPE and looking for a phone to support skype. Anyone of you using SKYPE on HERO? How does it work? Heard that it is not a proper VOIP platform where you have to dial a number and it will use your free minutes.

A program called Fring was launched on the android platform this week. I installed it on my Hero. This allows you to make skype calls (sign in to skype using your skype id through this program) both on wifi and data network which does not use your inclusive minutes. I have only used it for skype to skype calls to date and to be honest it was a big laggy. Maybe up to a 5 second delay at times. I havn't tried it on calls to landlines yet so no idea how they would be but could potentially be a big saver. Could call landlines using your skype credit off your mobile for 2c a minute. I would be very interest to hear how other people have got on with this program, lag issues too??

Fring is available on android market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ptashek

I am thinking of buying HERO. My major consideration is SKYPE because I use a lot of SKYPE and looking for a phone to support skype. Anyone of you using SKYPE on HERO? How does it work? Heard that it is not a proper VOIP platform where you have to dial a number and it will use your free minutes.

The official Skype Lite for Android is just a load of... well it's unusable, really (no skype-skype on 3G/WiFi!). iSkoot is essentially the same thing.

Fring have just recently released their client, which does Skype among others AND does it over WiFi and 3G. It's quite unstable for the moment, but I see it improving quickly - people are basically screaming for proper Skype on Android :)

You can get all three apps in Android Market for free.

Skype Lite:
    http://www.androlib.com/android.application.com-skype-android-lite-Cqi.aspx

iSkoot:
    http://www.androlib.com/android.application.com-iskoot-android-jwpB.aspx

Fring:
    http://www.androlib.com/android.application.com-fring-xmnt.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 cwjcwjcwj

5 secs!! It is a lot. I used to have a skype phone from THREE. It was perfect and worked just like normal phone when I called my friend in UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ptashek

THERE is a SKYPE beta APPLICATION on market. It SEEMS to WORK ok, just dont EXPECT to be using VIDEO calls with IT. VOIP is ok, but you NEED a good signal to USE it. On EDGE in our LOCAL area, its ok, but a LITTLE bit jumpy. HOPE that helps.

(Sorry, I saw the caps in your post and couldnt help myself :pac:)

Skype Lite doesn't use 3G/WiFi. It's going through the voice channel (GSM).
    It essentially does the same thing as the Skype client you get on some 3 Ireland mobiles, with the difference that it ain't for free ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

ptashek wrote: »
    Skype Lite doesn't use 3G/WiFi. It's going through the voice channel (GSM).
    It essentially does the same thing as the Skype client you get on some 3 Ireland mobiles, with the difference that it ain't for free ;)

ah thanks for clearing that up. makes sense to me now.

• Advertisement

There is an article from slashgear.com (http://www.slashgear.com/htc-hero-ne...-demo-1952904/) about the latest rom and this says that "you now get java on the hero" and the java icon can be seen in the first screenshot on the page.

I do not have this icon on my phone. My build number is 2.73.405.5 (latest??) with 1.5 firmware. Why am I missing this icon? Do other people have this icon on their phone?

The reason I want this java program is that I want to run cabbage texter on my phone which I have been unable to run using other java programs available in the android market. Apparenty the stock java program that comes with the latest rom will run cabbage. I posted this question in another forum about cabbage but received no response. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

-maccer- wrote: »
    There is an article from slashgear.com (http://www.slashgear.com/htc-hero-ne...-demo-1952904/) about the latest rom and this says that "you now get java on the hero" and the java icon can be seen in the first screenshot on the page.

I do not have this icon on my phone. My build number is 2.73.405.5 (latest??) with 1.5 firmware. Why am I missing this icon? Do other people have this icon on their phone?

The reason I want this java program is that I want to run cabbage texter on my phone which I have been unable to run using other java programs available in the android market. Apparenty the stock java program that comes with the latest rom will run cabbage. I posted this question in another forum about cabbage but received no response. Thanks.

Java is only available on the Modaco rom's (current 2.9) as far as I know. And yes Cabbage works fine with it.

Dingatron wrote: »
    Java is only available on the Modaco rom's (current 2.9) as far as I know. And yes Cabbage works fine with it.

Ah okay, great, the screenshot is from the modaco rom and not the official one. Thanks for clearing that up!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Hi all,

Thinking of buying a hero in the next few weeks.

My main concern is if there is a bluetooth headset paired for calls, will music be transmitted to the headset as well or do you need to use the 3.5mm port for music?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

For Skype over WiFi try fring. They just released their android app and it gets good reviews

• Advertisement

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thinking of buying a hero in the next few weeks.

My main concern is if there is a bluetooth headset paired for calls, will music be transmitted to the headset as well or do you need to use the 3.5mm port for music?

Bluetooth headsets are supported but music over bt won't be available till version 2 is released

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Bluetooth headsets are supported but music over bt won't be available till version 2 is released

ghey, any ETA on that?

They are developing a version for the hero as we speak. No news on when it will be released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Something odd happening with my alarm. Its not playing any sound when it goes off. Ive tried all the different tones but it stays silent...weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

Tusky wrote: »
    Something odd happening with my alarm. Its not playing any sound when it goes off. Ive tried all the different tones but it stays silent...weird.

You and me both. First morning it went off fine, next morning, silence! The next morning I set another alarm for 5 minutes earlier. First alarm vibrated, second alarm was silent?? Very strange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Yenwod wrote: »
    You and me both. First morning it went off fine, next morning, silence! The next morning I set another alarm for 5 minutes earlier. First alarm vibrated, second alarm was silent?? Very strange

Yeah - I was two hours late for college on Tuesday and an hour late on Wednesday as a result, so keen to find a fix!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

i just downloaded Alarmed Lite. Its great. It asks you maths questions in order to turn off the alarm!

music over bt won't be available till version 2 is released
    I may actually be wrong on this, 1.5 may have stereo bt

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭paddy2k

After 3 weeks with my Hero I surprisingly found something new. I'd been finding the portrait Qwerty keyboard kinda awkward and was missing the old T9 setup. In the Keyboard options (the cog on the keyboard) there is an option to turn on a T9-esque keyboard which works great and also a Blackberry-esque compact Qwerty. This phone just keeps getting better and better!
    Cyrus wrote: »
    how do you find the stations on tunewiki?

At the bottom of TuneWiki there are 5 icons, the first one is for music and the second (an old fashoned mic) is for radio. The radio is shoutcast which lists stations from all over the world.
    For Skype over WiFi try fring. They just released their android app and it gets good reviews

A word of caution about Fring, normal Skype client calls are encrypted end to end, but when using Fring they are unencrypted until they reach Fring's servers in Israel, who are notorious for wiretapping.

I may actually be wrong on this, 1.5 may have stereo bt

I don't really mind if it's stereo or not once it plays music.

• Advertisement

Because the Hero is such a thirsty beast I ordered a second battery from eBay. I found a reasonably priced one from the seller eCell, however when it arrived it was too big for the battery bay.
    Can anyone recommend a reputable place to get a battery for the Hero?

i just downloaded Alarmed Lite. Its great. It asks you maths questions in order to turn off the alarm!

I won't like to do a maths question every morning
    :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Yeah - I was two hours late for college on Tuesday and an hour late on Wednesday as a result, so keen to find a fix!

Are you using a task manager application? It can kill the clock therefore turning the alarm off. Just tap the clock to open it again and your alarm should go as normal

Seems to have all the same features. Any noticable differences?

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Seems to have all the same features. Any noticable differences?

It's got an FM radio, but has only a resistive touch screen which is smaller than the Heros, making it awkward for lots of apps.

HTC Tattoo is actually lower specs and cheaper than HTC Hero. But, seems like the bundle offered by Vodafone is even more expensive than HTC Hero in Meteor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭nellocon

Just wondering if there is an app available that will allow you to use your webtexts.
    Something along the lines of Cabbage except i dont want to have to install modaco Rom...

Would be very handy for me as im a POWER texter :)

cheers

nellocon wrote: »
    Just wondering if there is an app available that will allow you to use your webtexts.
    Something along the lines of Cabbage except i dont want to have to install modaco Rom...

Would be very handy for me as im a POWER texter :)

cheers
    I've been meanings to write one for android, but haven't got round to it. You could use the web based cabbage on the cabbage site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

EPM wrote: »
    Are you using a task manager application? It can kill the clock therefore turning the alarm off. Just tap the clock to open it again and your alarm should go as normal

Can anyone confirm this fixes the alarm problem? By adding the Clock app to the ignore list in the task killer?

Been waking up late all week! :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement