Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

EPM wrote: »
    Are you using a task manager application? It can kill the clock therefore turning the alarm off. Just tap the clock to open it again and your alarm should go as normal

I did that once but realised my mistake. What's weird is the alarm does go off, like it's showing on the screen but with no sound, despite it being set to play one?

Actually I've a separate question...I've net counter installed to keep track of my monthly allowance. I've noticed in the morning, the 'today usage' is often at about 3mb? I would think this is for updating email etc but in this time, I'm connected to wi-fi so surely it should only be updating on that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

When the phone goes to sleep it knocks off WiFi and reverts to 3g

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭-maccer-

Tusky wrote: »
    Something odd happening with my alarm. Its not playing any sound when it goes off. Ive tried all the different tones but it stays silent...weird.

I had the exact same problem and after trying everything I was thinking it was some fault with the phone. Googled it and discovered other people had same problem. Just go into your clock, alarm section, then click onto alarm sound. Now use the volume control on left side of your phone to increase the alarm volume. It must be set to sound off by default!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Have to say - got the Hero meself recently and I thinj it is probably the worst phone I've ever had. I upgraded from a Sonny Ericsson C905 and had an N95 before that and, well, the whole thing has been nothing but hassle after hassle.

Contacts

I imported all my sim contacts - couldn't bluetooth them from the C905 - and it imported them arseways - some had only partial names, some had numbers, some had no numbers because of settings on the C905. So I went to delete. But, of course, you can't delete all numbers togther, just one by one. I have over 300 contacts. Reformatted the phone.

So synced all contacts with Google and synced phone with that, as suggested. Happy days. Until I realised that the phone had taken ALL my contacts from Google. Over 2,500 email addresses now all in the phonebook as well as the numbers. Can't delete all numbers, reformat the phone.

I set up a new seperate Google Account, synced phone with that and even at that there's still some issues, but, of course, no warning of that.

Oh and if you have multiple contact options for one person, it defaults to the landline rather than the mobile when adding contact to a text, so watch that one...

Sim card

The phone loses connection with the sim at least twice a day, forcing a restart. Nothing to alert you, just loses the connection. Could be sitting at the desk, phone beside you, waiting for a call only to find an hour later it's been off for a while. You can't just reconnect to the network either.

MMS

I can't download or send MMS on the Meteor Network, though, having checked this thread, all settings seem right.

Camera

The camera, for a 5MP one, is terrible. Manky terrible. No flash, no image stabilisation - just really awful.

Startup

Startup takes at least 45 seconds. At the very least.

Gmail

The Gmail app is terrible. Better off using the HTC Mail app and running it through that.

Programs starting on their own

Well okay, maybe I hit off them accidentally but it's very easy to have loads of programmes running without knowing it and have the battery to nil.

Software

Unlike the Nokias or Sony Ericsson, am I right in thinking HTC have no software to sync contacts, photos, texts etc? Also, doesn't upgrading the Firmware seem very complicated? I'm not at all sure how to.

Things I like

Browsing is as good as an iPhone, though it forces the browser to close sometimes (like forwarding an email on Gmail mobile), the Apps are quite good and I'm getting used to the touchscreen but overall, I'm not at all as impressed/happy as other people seem to be. Saying that, I use the internet on the phone A LOT and just expected that part of it to be better...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

I think you might've just gotten a faulty Hero tbh mate...

• Advertisement

You reckon? I dunno. Got it as a gift, feel awkward about sending it back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

Yeah definatly. They don't take 45 seconds to turn on. MMS works for other people and not you so somethings up there and as for the sim card problem - that shouldn't be happening!

There a a couple of ways to delete all contacts and multiple...

Make sure your sim is loaded correctly. The mechanism needs to be pushed into the lock position

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

mine takes over a minute to start.

but i havent had any other of those issues that you're having.

The last setting in the data apn has to be saved as 'default'. This should sort the mms problem

• Advertisement

Bluefoam wrote: »
    The last setting in the data apn has to be saved as 'default'. This should sort the mms problem

Do you mean change the APN type in the access point from MMS to 'default'? Ok scratch that - looking at my data settings, there seems to be loads missing whereas in the MMS settings everything is set - however, in data, the APN setting is default...

(cheers for the help)

Bluefoam wrote: »
    There a a couple of ways to delete all contacts and multiple...

Make sure your sim is loaded correctly. The mechanism needs to be pushed into the lock position

Yep, it sure is. :)

Correction. Go to meteor mms, edit, apn type: default

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Patrick

Not very happy to hear of Darragh's problems. I'm seriously thinking of getting this phone

My phone takes about 45 seconds to turn on but you'll find the same with any 'smartphone' because with the amount of things these phones do, they're more small computers than phones

I bought my hero about 2 weeks ago from theorder.co.uk. I assumed that it would have the latest HTC ROM on it but only discovered last night that it didn't. I hadn't thought there was a bad lag on the phone at all but now I've updated the ROM, it's much faster!

Just letting all you new hero owners know in case you're in the same situation, check it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Well I think if you read his post again the majority of the problems are him and not the phone.

Google sync/gmail app are not Hero specific but are Android generic.

MMS is down to incorrect settings (others have mms working fine)

Programs starting on their own is down to the user, as are software updates. Updating from HTC is a doddle. If you want to root, user 3rd party builds then yes, there is a learning curve but that's your choice.

Taking 45 seconds to start - that's common across all smartphones. My E71 did exactly the same.

Patrick wrote: »
    Not very happy to hear of Darragh's problems. I'm seriously thinking of getting this phone

elderlemon wrote: »
    Well I think if you read his post again the majority of the problems are him and not the phone.

Google sync/gmail app are not Hero specific but are Android generic.

MMS is down to incorrect settings (others have mms working fine)

Programs starting on their own is down to the user, as are software updates. Updating from HTC is a doddle. If you want to root, user 3rd party builds then yes, there is a learning curve but that's your choice.

Taking 45 seconds to start - that's common across all smartphones. My E71 did exactly the same.

Ahem.

When I switched the phone on, it should have worked. Why should I have to go in and change settings? Why should I have to root around in settings - and come to Boards.ie to find them - when they should have worked straight away?

So let's see -

Contacts - really down to me or just bad UI design?
    Sim card - faulty phone?
    MMS - network operator
    Camera - phone
    Startup - phone
    Gmail - Android
    Programs - me and the phone
    Software - HTC

That doesn't seem to be all "my" lack of understanding of the phone?

Yenwod wrote: »
    I bought my hero about 2 weeks ago from theorder.co.uk. I assumed that it would have the latest HTC ROM on it but only discovered last night that it didn't. I hadn't thought there was a bad lag on the phone at all but now I've updated the ROM, it's much faster!

Just letting all you new hero owners know in case you're in the same situation, check it out!

The Meteor Hero's have the most up to date ROM's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

-maccer- wrote: »
    I had the exact same problem and after trying everything I was thinking it was some fault with the phone. Googled it and discovered other people had same problem. Just go into your clock, alarm section, then click onto alarm sound. Now use the volume control on left side of your phone to increase the alarm volume. It must be set to sound off by default!

This works perfectly! Thanks man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,127 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Darragh wrote: »
    Ahem.

When I switched the phone on, it should have worked. Why should I have to go in and change settings? Why should I have to root around in settings - and come to Boards.ie to find them - when they should have worked straight away?

So let's see -

Contacts - really down to me or just bad UI design?
    Sim card - faulty phone?
    MMS - network operator
    Camera - phone
    Startup - phone
    Gmail - Android
    Software - HTC

That doesn't seem to be all "my" lack of understanding of the phone?

Not sure what your previous experience of smart phones is, but in my experience they all need tweaking out of the box to get the best out of them.

Contacts - works great if you sync with gmail? i havent tried any other way myself

Sim card - must be, never heard of this, or are you using an old sim, maybe you need a new one?

MMS - network operator, must be, again works fine for most

Camera - phone - agreed camera sucks, but this was made apparent in all reviews, myself i put up with it becuase i rarely use my phone camera but a decent 5mp would be nice with flash and faster focus etc

Startup - phone - all smart phones take 45-60 seconds to boot up, again it isnt an issue for me becuase i dont turn mine off regularily but it isnt an issue that would bother me

Gmail - Android - not sure what your issue with the gmail implementation is? i think its great, far better than i have used elsewhere? and if you find the HTC version better then great, surely you are sorted then?

Software - HTC - whats your issue with the sense UI? or is it just firmware upgrades? again the level of complexity would be share across most smart phones

I agree the phone has some flaws, however for my money its the best phone i have ever had and i have tried plenty of winmo, symbian, symbian touch and iphones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Picked up the Hero over the weekend on meteor. Coming from an iPhone 3Gs, its a little bit slower, but overall experience is much, much better. Felt very locked in by the iPhone, so much so that I'm now so frustrated trying to customize the hero. I can put anything where I want, I just don't have a clue where to start!!!! (good frustration). Also, so far the battery is kicking the **** out of the iphone.

After owning the HTC Touch Diamond, glad to have a HTC UI back, and now it actually works thanks to android.

Main questions I have to people who've owned it for a while...

-Facebook Integration in Contact list.
    Does this update when I open 'People', when I visit facebook site/use app, or constantly in the background?

-Market
    First thought, there's a hell of a lot of free apps. Second thought, hang on, they're all free... Wheres the paid apps?

-Google Mail App.
    One thing I can't understand is how to turn off push for the Google Mail app. I starting using the HTC app, checking for mail at 30 min intervals, but kept getting notifications from the Google Mail app as mails were received, followed later by the HTC app picking these up at the 30 min interval. I'm happy enough to continue using the Google Mail app with push, but how do others who use the HTC app avoid getting push when they don't want it.

-"Locale" App:
    Not a question about this, just advice - Get it now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,052 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Paid Apps - not available for Ireland yet, unfortunately. You'd have to 'root' the phone to get access to the paid apps.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Stee wrote: »
    -Facebook Integration in Contact list.
    Does this update when I open 'People', when I visit facebook site/use app, or constantly in the background?

AFAIK, it updates itself, but I could be totally wrong here. Ive been using it for a few weeks now and it seems to update itself, ive certainly not been updating it.
    -Market
    First thought, there's a hell of a lot of free apps. Second thought, hang on, they're all free... Wheres the paid apps?
    Im sure they're there, but the most popular ones are always going to be the free ones. Im sure you could google search a few apps, but theres no way to sort by price in the market.
    -Google Mail App.
    One thing I can't understand is how to turn off push for the Google Mail app. I starting using the HTC app, checking for mail at 30 min intervals, but kept getting notifications from the Google Mail app as mails were received, followed later by the HTC app picking these up at the 30 min interval. I'm happy enough to continue using the Google Mail app with push, but how do others who use the HTC app avoid getting push when they don't want it.
    I only use my google mail app. I had the 2 apps pushing my mail but my god was that annoying. I eventually just disabled the HTC app.
    -"Locale" App:
    Not a question about this, just advice - Get it now!
    YES SIR!

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Paid Apps - not available for Ireland yet, unfortunately. You'd have to 'root' the phone to get access to the paid apps.
    Didnt know this, cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,127 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Didnt know this, cheers!

yep root the phone and get market enabler to see paid apps

they need to sort the market out tho its frustrating trying to find stuff at times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭breeno

Bought this yesterday and ported to Meteor.

Haven't got a single complaint. Absolutely brilliant so far.

Shopsavvy app is amazing :eek:

Great, great phone.

Don't think I'll bother with a new rom though, seems to be good enough as is. OR should I do it?

breeno wrote: »
    Bought this yesterday and ported to Meteor.

Haven't got a single complaint. Absolutely brilliant so far.

Shopsavvy app is amazing :eek:

Great, great phone.

Don't think I'll bother with a new rom though, seems to be good enough as is. OR should I do it?

I'm using the original rom & can't think of a reason to root the phone. will update to version 2 when HTC make it available. not sure what paid apps are available, but not sure if they are necessarily better than free ones. can anyone here tell us what paid apps they have and how they compare with stuff thats free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I was just reading app reviews and when I went to search for some I couldn't find them so I assumed I needed to setup credit card details or something. No access to paid apps is fine for me, I spent a small fortune on apps on the iPhone.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Has it been confirmed that when 2.0 is released you'll be able to play music over bluetooth to headsets?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement