Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

On importing contacts - which was a pain, but it was also a pain to move from Sony Ericsson to blackberry :

The best way Ive found is to sync your old phone with outlook (i used express) and then sync the hero with outlook. Worked at treat - this is coming from a backberry - and mean you also have a backup of your contacts

I had the google problem to with all my contact from google appearing - but you can choose from the phone not to sync with gmail.

Also - you can choose the default number for your contacts in the people app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Has it been confirmed that when 2.0 is released you'll be able to play music over bluetooth to headsets?

Do you mean a2dp? If so it works for me playing stereo music to my Bluetooth car stereo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Stee wrote: »
    Do you mean a2dp? If so it works for me playing stereo music to my Bluetooth car stereo.

Excellent, what version of the OS are you on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Does anyone have problems connecting their phone to the router eircom provides? It used to work now it just gets stuck on "Obtaining IP address"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Excellent, what version of the OS are you on?

1.5 out of the box

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Stee wrote: »
    1.5 out of the box

Awesome, gonna be getting one of these then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Fedule wrote: »
    My tests indicate that:

Networking turned off: Can receive calls
    Edge network: Cannot receive calls
    3G/H: Can receive calls

Asked at the Meteor shop (didn't expect much) and got two possible issues (neither of which I really believe) - they offered to replace the sim for free there and then, and saidthat they'd be happy to replace the handset if it still doesn't work.

As for DDTM, it's a toggle option under Call Settings on Sprint HTC Heroes (and it's in the user manual and everything).

Any update on this? You still having issues with calls not getting through while on edge? Considering going to meteor as i'm getting raped for data charges on vodafone ready to go - my hero chews through data at a horrendous rate and at 19c/mb it ain't cheap! Their billpay packages are ridiculously expensive just to get an add on though. I know meteor don't have 3g out my way so i'd be relying on edge...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭saeglopur

thinking of getting one of these after reading reviews and looking at meteor's tarriffs. was between this and the palm pre with my current network o2 but there seems to be no comparison between the two.
    any1 have any experience or advice about moving from o2 bill pay to meteor bill pay. Will i be able to pick up the phone straight away or will o2 make me wait to transfer over?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭-maccer-

I ported over from o2 billpay to meteor. Wanted a smartphone and was thinking iPhone or palm but I thought o2 pricing was extortionate.
    Simple enough process to change over. Just need id & proof of address (bank statement or utility bill) & your o2 account number.

Depending on whether they have the phone in stock or not should take you about 20 mins in store filling forms & they contact o2 to port your number over (took an hour for me) and you get the phone straight away!

Absolutely love the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 aurelio

I have just inserted a new 8 gig class 6 card to replace the original class 2 (also 8gb) card I had been using, and can't believe how much difference it has made. Every operation of the phone is quicker, slicker, faster. Make sure you use a high speed card in the hero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

Heard a new one today, made me laugh. A nerdy friend of mine -

''is that a HTC Hero in your pocket, or are you just pleased to see me??'' :P :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Paid Apps - not available for Ireland yet, unfortunately. You'd have to 'root' the phone to get access to the paid apps.

Sorry, I'm new to this whole thing. Thinking (about 95% sure!) of getting the Hero in the New Year, off the back of a Nokia. But what do you mean by 'root' the phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Rooting, is a hack that gives you access to the core OS. By rooting you can change the look, feel and operation of the software & change the operating system completely. It also allows access to the paid apps from the market (which will be available soon to the Irish market anyway).

TBH, the majority of users will never need to root the phone, it works well as it is + android 2 will be available as a download for the Hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Sanjuro wrote: »
    But what do you mean by 'root' the phone?

with apologies to our Antipodean cousins, it means to gain "admin" access on the phone so you can install whatever you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

Wheres the best place to get one of these badboys?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stackeye

How do I fully disabling the HTC Mail and Message app, I use Handcent and the gmail app as default now but when i open task killer I always see these programs open, I have gone into "Manage Applications" and clicked Force Stop but they are still opening up, any ideas

Bluefoam wrote: »
    + android 2 will be available as a download for the Hero.

You sure about this? I've a friend who works for Vodafone (in a technical capacity, not sales or anything like that) and he was pretty adamant that the version of android I get the Hero with will be the one I'm stuck with. Struck me as odd as firmware for devices seems to be upgradable almost always. If you can get Android 2 for it, that's the last 5% for me and I'll be 100% getting the Hero!

stackeye wrote: »
    How do I fully disabling the HTC Mail and Message app, I use Handcent and the gmail app as default now but when i open task killer I always see these programs open, I have gone into "Manage Applications" and clicked Force Stop but they are still opening up, any ideas

I would imagine that your message app needs to keep running to recieve sms messages...? & if you have set mail to look for emails every 15/30 mins it will want to be running too!

Sanjuro wrote: »
    You sure about this? I've a friend who works for Vodafone (in a technical capacity, not sales or anything like that) and he was pretty adamant that the version of android I get the Hero with will be the one I'm stuck with. Struck me as odd as firmware for devices seems to be upgradable almost always. If you can get Android 2 for it, that's the last 5% for me and I'll be 100% getting the Hero!

HTC have stated that they are working on a version of 2, which will run Sense UI for Hero & will be available for existing handsets. release date is unknown. If you read back through this thread you will find the details.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    HTC have stated that they are working on a version of 2, which will run Sense UI for Hero & will be available for existing handsets. release date is unknown. If you read back through this thread you will find the details.

That's great. Thanks a million Bluefoam. Will have a read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 James.m.c

Hi everyone,

First off all, just want to thanks to everyone for essentially being the labs rats before I decided to upgrade to this phone. Tis pretty cool to be honest, and the apps, although only free ones, are pretty impressive overall.

But I have one slight problem.

Has anyone else noticed that the screen doesnt locked when making a phone call? Your cheek can cancel the call right in the middle of a conversation. It has happened to me a few times and I've only had the phone a few days.

This is a phone after all, seems a bit ridiculous that I cant make phone calls without the fear of it cancelling at some point.

Any solution for this anyone? Ye've been fairly good at the problem solving so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

Shzm wrote: »

Meteor/3g shop, Meteor online, expansys, ebay etc.. Tonnes of places :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

Shzm wrote: »

Sim free? theorder.co.uk seems to be the cheapest place to get them. I got mine there and delivery was quick - ordered late Sunday night, had it Friday morning. Before you start adding anything onto it though, check what version ROM it has on it. I had to update mine

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

Yenwod wrote: »
    Sim free? theorder.co.uk seems to be the cheapest place to get them. I got mine there and delivery was quick - ordered late Sunday night, had it Friday morning. Before you start adding anything onto it though, check what version ROM it has on it. I had to update mine

Yeah not bad, that works out to roughly €400. Cheapest I saw on ebay was about 10 quid cheaper.

Think I may go with Meteor though, they're doing it for €390. Plus from looking around you can get an unlock code for about €15.

I assume unlocking isnt going to be voiding any warranties or such tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Does anyone have any idea how much data my track uses? I got the phone last Friday and the only data downloaded was a few small apps, a tiny bit of browsing and turning on my track for around 40km in the car today. I logged into Meteor and it tells me I have used 170mb. Doesn't seem right.

Edit: meant to say net meter says I used 17mb

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭paddy2k

kc66 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea how much data my track uses? I got the phone last Friday and the only data downloaded was a few small apps, a tiny bit of browsing and turning on my track for around 40km in the car today. I logged into Meteor and it tells me I have used 170mb. Doesn't seem right.

Edit: meant to say net meter says I used 17mb

Try NetSentry, it's a datameter. Yea it's hungry for Data. 170mb over a weekend doesn't seem too unusual.

Earlier on in this thread, it was mentioned that the only way to have your apps work from your SD Card is by rooting it. I dont currently have any other reason or needt in rooting my phone as it looks rather complicated and at the present, I dont really have enough time to thrawl through message boards trying to find what other wonders it does.

Is there an easy way to root the phone just so I can get my apps over to my SD card...am I right in assuming that this will free up some phone memory or will I see a major difference.

Final question, as my computer just plain refuses to run HTC Sync (?) - do I need this to root?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Rooting phones might be against the forum charter, in any case, umm.. how can I put this, asking your question at the YouTube website will yield generous results for you.

Amalgam wrote: »
    Rooting phones might be against the forum charter, in any case, umm.. how can I put this, asking your question at the YouTube website will yield generous results for you.
    :D haha, cheers. Didn't realise that could be against the rules

• Advertisement

Not sure it is against the rules. Android is open source and is not bound by the restrictive licensing found on the Apple phone. There are no restrictions to you loading up whatever Rom you want. It'd be a shame to lose sense UI though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement