Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Not sure it is against the rules. Android is open source and is not bound by the restrictive licensing found on the Apple phone. There are no restrictions to you loading up whatever Rom you want. It'd be a shame to lose sense UI though.

Interesting, so.. you can run 'bog standard' Android on the HTC Hero? ..would it run noticeably faster or nippier than Sense, given that it might be less demanding visually?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Amalgam wrote: »
    Interesting, so.. you can run 'bog standard' Android on the HTC Hero? ..would it run noticeably faster or nippier than Sense, given that it might be less demanding visually?

Have you tried Bog Standard Android. It is the Sence UI that makes HTC phones so good.

I for one will be sticking with Sence until HTC upgrade to 2.0

My hero runs fast enough for me and that is with it running a IM client, Push Gmail, Exchange Push E-mail, Swift Twitter and a numerous other apps when needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ptashek

I may actually be wrong on this, 1.5 may have stereo bt

Cupcake (1.5) has A2DP and AVRCP, so yes, stereo headsets should work just fine.

When the phone goes to sleep it knocks off WiFi and reverts to 3g

Unless you set WiFi "sleep policy" to "never". From my experience WiFi drains the battery much slower than 3G, so it's OK to leave it on 24/7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Can someone point me in the direction of the MMS settings ? Ive seen them a few times in this thread and have tried searching but cant find them

• Advertisement

When I switched the phone on, it should have worked. Why should I have to go in and change settings? Why should I have to root around in settings - and come to Boards.ie to find them - when they should have worked straight away?

From my personal experience, Meteor are notorious for half-baked releases. Had three phones with them, and in each case MMS never worked out-of-the-box. Go figure ;)

Contacts - really down to me or just bad UI design?
    Both. You may have developed some habits, that the Hero doesn't support. I was the same after switching from a Sony-Ericsson. Now I actually came to like the way contacts work in Hero.
    Sim card - faulty phone?
    **** happens. Seriously.
    Camera - phone
    It's not a camera phone. It's not sold or marketed as one - and yes, the camera is crap.
    Startup - phone
    Loading the Linux kernel, mounting several file systems, checking them for faults, starting services, connecting to GSM/3G/WiF, loading UI - yes, it takes long time. But show me a smartphone which doesn't have this sort of issues when cold-booting.
    Gmail - Android
    Google, to be precise.
    That doesn't seem to be all "my" lack of understanding of the phone?
    You may just be one of those people who the Hero doesn't suite. That's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

Anyone know when Meteor in Blanchardstown are getting more Heros in? Shane would you know? All out of stock at the moment.

A very small amount arrived in the warehouse today.
    (50)

Promised a much larger delivery next week but cannot guarantee. Very popular phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

Cheers mate. Do you know specifically where they'll be distrubuted?? I'll be heading back into Blanchardstown on Thursday/Friday so i'd like to pick on up then if theres any. Guess my best bets to ring and make sure would it?

am I right in assuming that this will free up some phone memory or will I see a major difference.

The main reason for moving apps to SD is not to free phone memory, but to have more storage, essentially translating to having more apps. As the iPhone, Android is all about apps. It should free some memory though.
    Final question, as my computer just plain refuses to run HTC Sync (?) - do I need this to root?

No, but you will need the Android USB driver in order to access the system console from Windows (Linux just does it).

• Advertisement

rizzee wrote: »
    Cheers mate. Do you know specifically where they'll be distrubuted?? I'll be heading back into Blanchardstown on Thursday/Friday so i'd like to pick on up then if theres any. Guess my best bets to ring and make sure would it?

Sorry i don't know where they are going in Meteor Stores.

The 3G Mobile Stores have their's already sold as they have taken names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

rizzee wrote: »

Not sure where you're living, or if it matters, but i called the Dundrum shop last thursday and asked if they had any in stock. They had 3 and a very helpful staff member said she would put one aside for me for 3 days as I was unsure when Id be out. Managed to get out that evening but my bank statement was older than 3 months, so it couldnt be used. I said to put the phone back on sale as I'd have to sort out a bill/statement, but she said she'd keep it for a week, as they had gotten a few more in. Managed to get back on the saturday and it was waiting for me. Maybe try call a few stores and see if they can hold one?

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Tusky wrote: »
    Can someone point me in the direction of the MMS settings ? Ive seen them a few times in this thread and have tried searching but cant find them
    1. Settings
    2. Wireless Controls
    3. Mobile Networks
    4. Access Point Names
    From here press menu, and select "New APN"

Name this APN "Meteor Internet/wap/whatever you like"
    • APN: wap.mymeteor.ie
    • Proxy: 010.085.085.085
    • Port:8799
    • Username: my
    • Password: meteor
    • Server: http://wap.mymeteor.ie
    • MMSC: mms.mymeteor.ie
    • MMS proxy: 010.085.085.085
    • MMS port:8799
    • MCC: 272
    • MNC: 03
    • APN type: default
    Hit menu, and save.. this should bring u back to the APNs menu

Hit Menu again and select new APN
    Name this one Meteor mms and the following settings:
    hit menu and save

When this brings you back to the APNs menu you should have "meteor internet" with a green checkbox to the right and underneath you should have "meteor mms" with no green checkbox to the right..

Before i got mine working i had green checkboxes to the right of both APNs and by entering the APN type for "internet" as default and "mms" as mms, this got rid of the checkbox to the right of the "meteor mms" APN and i was able to send and receive picture messages etc..

Hope this isnt too confusing, its the best way i can explain it..

Credit to C-Shore for this.

FYI, when I did this I had to delete my current MMS settings, and add in as described above. Took a few trial and errors but eventually got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Slipshaney

anyone have a car holder for their hero? i am looking for one that swivels so as to use with sat nat. the problem is that I have a plastic case around the phone so its awkward if I need to take this off everytime I want to place in the holder

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Got "fotmob 4.0" last night! Looks the bee's knees! It says I should download fotmob 4.5 for the android but ive not had the chance yet (cant find it on the market).

Its a great little program! Gives a load of leagues to choose from. Premier league, Championship, bundesliga, serie A, Spanish premier Division, champions league.

It displays Tables, top goal scorers, live scores, fixtures, and some RSS feeds on current subscribed leagues news.

Very impressed anyways.
    jCDn.u.cs.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Think I just broke my Hero.

Had been having a problem with downloading on my Hero so got onto HTC support. They said to reset my device but to back up any information beforehand. I downloaded apps for this from the market place, backed up everything to the sd card, removed card and then did the reset. Phone came back on and all that fine. Then I restored from the sd card and the app said restart full changes to fully come into effect. I did this and it shows the "Hero" screen and then changes to the "HTC" screen like it should but just stays there.

I have tried the reset with device off also but to no avail. It just wont boot up. I have replied to HTC telling them the above but will no doubt be waiting another week for a reply.

Anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Get the android debugger (adb). Hook up your hero to your computer and run logcat. See if you can spot any issues when starting.

Is it htc rom or modaco ? Have you got a nandroid backup ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

No it was just a back up app from the market place. Normal out of box rom. I'll do a check there now

EDIT - I haven't a clue what I'm doing here. Back to the shop for me I think on this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭breeno

Quick one guys. I've seen people talking about using class 6 sd cards. I'm running the standard os, do I need that card or is it only for those who have rooted the phone?

Also, has anyone else noticed their phone dropping signal completely every now and then? Have to restart phone to get going again.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭-maccer-

breeno wrote: »
    Also, has anyone else noticed their phone dropping signal completely every now and then? Have to restart phone to get going again.

Has happened me a handful of times where I unlock the screen and it is saying emergency calls only. I have to input the pin to unlock my sim and then the phone still doesn't pick up a network. The only solution has been to turn the phone on and off. At least two of the times this happened was when I have been driving so I think it might be the vibrations causing the sim card to lose contact with the phone. I cycle in and out to work everyday though with the phone in my bag with a lot of vibrations as well but I have never had the problem then.

The other possible reason I could think of is that the phone dropped network (I was driving cork to dublin) and for some reason disconnected the sim as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So whats general opinion on htc hero guys? Is it worth it? is it cheaper alternative to iphone? ( 520eu > 400eu ).

I watched alot of vidoes of htc, but it lookd like unfinished product... And internet browser does not look so impresive with its chop view :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭breeno

-maccer- wrote: »
    Has happened me a handful of times where I unlock the screen and it is saying emergency calls only. I have to input the pin to unlock my sim and then the phone still doesn't pick up a network. The only solution has been to turn the phone on and off. At least two of the times this happened was when I have been driving so I think it might be the vibrations causing the sim card to lose contact with the phone. I cycle in and out to work everyday though with the phone in my bag with a lot of vibrations as well but I have never had the problem then.

The other possible reason I could think of is that the phone dropped network (I was driving cork to dublin) and for some reason disconnected the sim as well.

FYI, I've discovered a quicker way of doing this. Go to settings, wireless controls, turn airplane mode on and then off again and hopefully bob will be your uncle. Works fine for me. Much quicker than turning on off....hopefully some kind of fix comes soon for this problem. Also, get a program called 'no signal alert' which beeps when reception goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭-maccer-

breeno wrote: »
    FYI, I've discovered a quicker way of doing this. Go to settings, wireless controls, turn airplane mode on and then off again and hopefully bob will be your uncle. Works fine for me. Much quicker than turning on off....hopefully some kind of fix comes soon for this problem. Also, get a program called 'no signal alert' which beeps when reception goes!

Fantastic, thanks for that, sounds like a lot less hassle and much faster. Will downoad the signal alert programme as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

So whats general opinion on htc hero guys? Is it worth it? is it cheaper alternative to iphone? ( 520eu > 400eu ).

I watched alot of vidoes of htc, but it lookd like unfinished product... And internet browser does not look so impresive with its chop view :(

I am planning on picking this phone up in the coming days. From reading through this thread I'd say the general opinion is overwhelmingly positive.:D

I have followed a lot of different threads about certain models of phones and compared to those there is hardly anything negative about the Hero. OK, so the camera gets some bad reviews which is a bit of a shame, but I am not specifically seeking a camera phone, I am seeking a good touchscreen phone to integrate online apps/email/calendars etc and something I can use as an mp3 player which this phone will enable me to do.

I know you slated Android in another thread but I don't think it is any worse than its competitors (even at this early stage of development) and will only get better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,127 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

folks

whats the best website to follow andorid 'news'. id like to be kept in the loop for when firefox and opera etc are launched that type of thing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Cyrus wrote: »
    folks

whats the best website to follow andorid 'news'. id like to be kept in the loop for when firefox and opera etc are launched that type of thing :)

I look at:
    m.androidandme.com
    m.androidguys.com
    m.engadget.com
    m.gizmodo.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I just had a look at my APN settings as it came from meteor and the mms apn is set to "mms.mymwteor.ie" :eek:

So if your getting one you may want to fix that. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

-maccer- wrote: »
    Fantastic, thanks for that, sounds like a lot less hassle and much faster. Will downoad the signal alert programme as well.
    I found that alot of the reviews online are from the early release Hero, which was rather slow and unresponsive. But HTC did release an update a few weeks later to address these issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Can anyone who bought a Hero lately confirm that they are unlocked?
    Is using a Hero on PAYG even an option? I know the phone is based around internet access so I dont want to be fleeced with Data charges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

IH77 wrote: »
    I am planning on picking this phone up in the coming days. From reading through this thread I'd say the general opinion is overwhelmingly positive.:D

I have followed a lot of different threads about certain models of phones and compared to those there is hardly anything negative about the Hero. OK, so the camera gets some bad reviews which is a bit of a shame, but I am not specifically seeking a camera phone, I am seeking a good touchscreen phone to integrate online apps/email/calendars etc and something I can use as an mp3 player which this phone will enable me to do.

I know you slated Android in another thread but I don't think it is any worse than its competitors (even at this early stage of development) and will only get better

Well by watching this thread, i see more bashing, then Good words.

I love what HTC hero stands for: Open source. And how much you can cusomize it, play around with it and list goes on and on!

But Open source comes with price: really damn rocky beggining, that signal loss issue, camare being crap( thought no need at all), browser being really laggy comparing it too iphone, prepalm. And it goes on and on...

Just before spending all this money, i whant really to know is it worth it... do i get iphone ( god i really dont whgant to be a anather "i" slave), get htc and hope it will get better ( somewhere heard that OS is upgradable..), or wait vor HTC hero ver2...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement