Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,052 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

-maccer- wrote: »
    Bit of a weird question really! Was just looking at my data usage on the meteor website and there seems to be a big chunk of data transferring most mornings on my phone, here is the last 4 days for example.

TimeUsage23-Nov-0908:285115 KBOn way to work24-Nov-0908:194074 KBOn way to work25-Nov-0907:327527 KBAt home26-Nov-0908:285186 KBOn way to work

I am baffled as to what is using so much data. Especially on the 25th I was at home at that time and should have been on the wifi network. I am not running my tracks or anything like that on the way to work! Any ideas what could be using this?

Could it be that while my phone is asleep it is on the data network and this is the accumulation of the transfers during the night? I have just changed my wifi sleep policy to never so will see if this helps. Does this drain more battery though? Thanks

as far as i know, when your phone goes to sleep, it switches to the Data Network instead of Wifi.

It was mentioned previously in this thread, but it would be nigh on impossible to find at this stage, i reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ptashek

-maccer- wrote: »
    I have just changed my wifi sleep policy to never so will see if this helps. Does this drain more battery though? Thanks

Not as much as having UMTS/3G on all the time. The WiFi chip seems to be doing a far better job at power management than the "3G" chip. From what I see in the debugger the WiFi daemon (wpa_supplicant) by default wakes-up every 45 seconds and does a quick scan to see if there's any APs around, then goes to sleep again and the chip with it, unless you are connected.

YMMV :)

as far as i know, when your phone goes to sleep, it switches to the Data Network instead of Wifi.

By default, yes. But this is configurable and OP has set this ("sleep policy" = "never").

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,520 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

For the rooted users, new version of Market Enabler (3.0.3) is out.
    Fixes network location bug, so shouldn't interfere with MMS any more.
    Also adds support for Meteor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭breeno

Mr E wrote: »
    For the rooted users, new version of Market Enabler (3.0.3) is out.
    Fixes network location bug, so shouldn't interfere with MMS any more.
    Also adds support for Meteor.

Hi Mr E

What is the bug you're talking about there?

Also, are many of the paid apps worth the money?

• Advertisement

Faking a network provider in Market Enabler sometimes changed your APN on the phone (so instead of using Vodafone and VodafoneMMS, it changes to the settings of the network you are faking (Tmobile etc.) - you can change back to Vodafone easily, but while changed, I couldn't receive MMS messages.

There are some paid apps that are worth the money, sure. I have taskiller, co-pilot live, picsay pro, pure calendar widget, and a few games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 subdian

(this seems to be the place to talk about the Hero, apologies if I'm in the wrong place)

Just got a hero yesterday from Meteor store on Henry street. Last one they had... Coming from iPhone 2G, this rocks, some things are much better, and a couple of things a little worse.

Anyhoo, has anyone else noticed significant hissing noise in background during voice calls? It's enough that I notice it during most calls, so wondering if I have a dud handset?

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

subdian wrote: »
    (this seems to be the place to talk about the Hero, apologies if I'm in the wrong place)

Just got a hero yesterday from Meteor store on Henry street. Last one they had... Coming from iPhone 2G, this rocks, some things are much better, and a couple of things a little worse.

Anyhoo, has anyone else noticed significant hissing noise in background during voice calls? It's enough that I notice it during most calls, so wondering if I have a dud handset?

Cheers!

Crystal clear for me.

Crystal clear for me.

Cheers for fast reply... Might have a dud then... Shame, I was chasing this for weeks until I finally got one. I wonder how long until they will be able to replace it.

Crystal clear for me.

Same here.
    It may be down to the network as well (I'm on 3).

• Advertisement

ptashek wrote: »
    Same here.

Hmmm... you're right, could be Meteor. That gives me an idea. I'll pop in a different SIM and see if it still happens.

Also, anyone on Meteor experience background hiss during calls?

Same here.

I am on Eircom Mobile (Meteor Network) so no problem with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

Hi Shane, have anymore units left the factory?

rizzee wrote: »
    Hi Shane, have anymore units left the factory?

Sorry, Hero's did not arrive from HTC.

No news on an update yet. Stock is very tight everywhere.

Shane,

Do you reckon it was bad planning on Meteor's part or just a much higher level of interest than could have been expected or even HTC's fault?

Delighted I picked mine up last weekend now!

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

Does this include stock from the online store? It did say 'in stock' when I ordered, but im beginning to wonder.. :)

Shzm wrote: »
    Does this include stock from the online store? It did say 'in stock' when I ordered, but im beginning to wonder.. :)

Sorry, i don't know what stock the Online store would have but it did not receive any more today.

breeno wrote: »
    Shane,

Do you reckon it was bad planning on Meteor's part or just a much higher level of interest than could have been expected or even HTC's fault?

Delighted I picked mine up last weekend now!

Just lack of stock availability.

Such high demand for the phone worldwide that supplies from HTC are limited.

Hopefully the interest continues as I'm sure the more handsets sold worldwide the more apps etc will appear. Glad I chose this over the iPhone so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

Just got a call there from Meteor confirming my order, they have it there so should be with me on Monday. :D

Damn you, weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Meteor in waterford seem to have stock. I've had two replacement hero's this week no problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Yenwod wrote: »
    Can you believe, since posting my reply, my hero has randomly asked for my Sim code three times now? I wonder is it something wrong with the latest HTC Rom because that never happened before I upgraded?
    Same here, it happens twice a day, sometimes more.
    I called Meteor, the girl who answered was a complete bubble head.
    If it ain't a Nokia, she didn't have a notion.

She told me to stick my sim in another phone to see what happens.
    If that didn't solve it,
    then try a new sim,
    if that didn't solve it,
    they'll replace the handset

Based upon posts from a few pages back,
    I'm starting to think this isn't a sim issue.
    HTC Hero users with connectivity issues
    1/ T-Square
    2/ YenWod
    3/ StinkyFish

as a work around, you can use the no single alarm application

paddy2k wrote: »
    Fring's servers in Israel, who are notorious for wiretapping.

Not just the Israeli's!
    The CIAs Echelon signals intelligence system
    has been copying and archiving
    all communications in the states
    for a long time.

Sure look at the 500,000+ 9/11 pager messages just put up on WikiLeaks!!!

Darragh wrote: »
    Sim card

The phone loses connection with the sim at least twice a day, forcing a restart. Nothing to alert you, just loses the connection. Could be sitting at the desk, phone beside you, waiting for a call only to find an hour later it's been off for a while. You can't just reconnect to the network either.

Camera

The camera, for a 5MP one, is terrible. Manky terrible. No flash, no image stabilisation - just really awful.

The sim card issue does not require a restart.
    Depress the power key for 2 seconds,
    switch aircraft on
    switch aircraft off
    enter your SIM code

The camera is fine, just change the ISO setting to 800.
    Result=crystal clear photos.

T-Square wrote: »
    I'm starting to think this isn't a sim issue.
    HTC Hero users with connectivity issues

If this is a hardware issue, it may be closely related to the specific batch Meteor got from HTC. My Hero was bought in August and I haven't seen any of the SIM issues mentioned here. Sure, it had a fair share of annoying bugs, but almost all of them were gone with ROM 2.73.405.5.

It may sound weird, but has anyone actually compared the THICKNESS of the Meteor SIM and an O2/3/Vodafone one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

If this is a hardware issue, it may be closely related to the specific batch Meteor got from HTC. My Hero was bought in August and I haven't seen any of the SIM issues mentioned here. Sure, it had a fair share of annoying bugs, but almost all of them were gone with ROM 2.73.405.5.

It may sound weird, but has anyone actually compared the THICKNESS of the Meteor SIM and an O2/3/Vodafone one?

I have a meteor one with no problems so far.
    The meteor sim is smaller then my three sim but there doesn't seem to be much thickness difference.

The three sim also has much larger contact areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭sinkingfish

I got a new sim on Thursday, and my coverage has dropped and unrecovered twice since then.

Might have to see if I can replace the handset :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭philidub

Hey,
    Have had the hero for about three weeks but still can't figure out how to check details for incoming calls(time of/length), can see what date, from who and type of call no problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2 ways to get to it:

1. When on the phone menu (press phone on main menu), press the Menu button and select Call History. It'll tell you all calls -- incoming (blue), outgoing (green) and missed (red). Press the icon at the end of each line (page with phone symbol) to see the call length.

2. Go to the people screen and select a contact that you want to see the history for. Along the bottom of the screen are various views for that contact (Info, Messages, Facebook, Flickr etc.). The last icon is call history with exact dates, times and lengths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭philidub

Great thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement