Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

brmccfc wrote: »
    dont think meteor will let you use this bill pay option with the HTC hero

thats what your one said over the phone anyways

currently debating weather or not to buy the pay as you go or switch to an 18 month connect contract

If you buy the phone PAYG you can use it on Bill Pay Lite (the poster had bought or was going to buy it PAYG)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

just ordered mine, hopefully I will have it Thursday. Coming from WinMo phone, but for the last month I was using Nokia 6600s and just can't stand it. After over 3 years using a smartphone I just can't use normal phone.
    Anyway, I'm gettign it on Thursday (thankfully) and first thing will be flashing MoDaCo rom. I don't even want to see stock rom. From my experience HTC stock roms are... bloated.
    After that I'm going to spend an evening pretending that I am Jedi Knight thanks to The Schwartz Unsheathed :D (I'm like 30yo)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

voxpop wrote: »
    I think if you just turn the phone over (ie screen down), this silences the ring - well it does on mine anyway

Yep that's a pretty cool way to mute the phone quickly if your in a meeting etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

Does anyone know if Meteor stores are still doing trades ins for the Hero - ie. get 30 euro off for bringing in your old colour camera phone & charger? Hope they got new stock in :)

Cheers in advance!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

rizzee wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Meteor stores are still doing trades ins for the Hero - ie. get 30 euro off for bringing in your old colour camera phone & charger? Hope they got new stock in :)

Cheers in advance!

they do indeed. as i said in another post, i got a tenner off each old nokia phone, 25 off an old motorola, 50 off my w910i. ended up paying 65 euro for the phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

Thanks very much :)

*roots around for old phones * :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ptashek

Noodles23 wrote: »
    Ok But I won't be using my phone for e-mails or you tube or anything or the sort, Manly using it for Facebook and bebo and a very small Google Searches, Maybe downloading App's but nothing else... So my 50mb shud be enuf shouldn't it :confused:

Yes, but reality will show ;)
    See, once you get the hang of it, the phone might become your do-it-all tool...

docentore wrote: »
    Anyway, I'm gettign it on Thursday (thankfully) and first thing will be flashing MoDaCo rom. I don't even want to see stock rom. From my experience HTC stock roms are... bloated.

Maybe on WinMo they were in fact, not here though.

The MoDaCo ROM is not, contrary to popular belief, less bloated or much faster than HTC stock ROMs. It is at least as bloated and just marginally faster. The only two nice things about it, compared to stock, is automatic setup of APP2SD, and compcache. Unless you really want to hack the sh... out of your phone, I'd say stay with stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Noodles23

ptashek wrote: »
    Yes, but reality will show ;)
    See, once you get the hang of it, the phone might become your do-it-all tool...

Nope Don't plan on using it that much for the net cos I no i'd waste all my credit :mad: Only 24 Days till i am allowed open mine :):p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Maybe on WinMo they were in fact, not here though.

The MoDaCo ROM is not, contrary to popular belief, less bloated or much faster than HTC stock ROMs. It is at least as bloated and just marginally faster. The only two nice things about it, compared to stock, is automatic setup of APP2SD, and compcache. Unless you really want to hack the sh... out of your phone, I'd say stay with stock.
    (and its rooted)

thanks ptaszek, but most electronic devices in my house are hacked or moded in some way :D And thats one of the reasons why I'm getting Hero and love HTC phones - for the fact how easy is to mod and customize them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭iknorr

they do indeed. as i said in another post, i got a tenner off each old nokia phone, 25 off an old motorola, 50 off my w910i. ended up paying 65 euro for the phone

I tried to do that also but was told its only one phone per transaction. The gf is buying a hero today or tmro. Ill bring a few old bricks and try to flog them off.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

iknorr wrote: »
    I tried to do that also but was told its only one phone per transaction. The gf is buying a hero today or tmro. Ill bring a few old bricks and try to flog them off.

really? i traded in about 10 phones to them for the phone, no problems whatsoever

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Sure if you port your number over to tesco today (free AFAIK), and then tomorrow go buy the phone as a "new" meteor customer (porting from tesco to meteor) you save €30 on bill pay. So the phone is then €99, throw in an old phone with a camera and charger and thats another €30 off. I think you got away nicely there cherryghost, wouldnt expect that sales staff to be working for meteor much longer now.

€69

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭iknorr

Sure if you port your number over to tesco today (free AFAIK), and then tomorrow go buy the phone as a "new" meteor customer (porting from tesco to meteor) you save €30 on bill pay. So the phone is then €99, throw in an old phone with a camera and charger and thats another €30 off. I think you got away nicely there cherryghost, wouldnt expect that sales staff to be working for meteor much longer now.

€69

I thought they keep a record for 3 months of customers moving back and fourth??

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Dono, this is how my housemate did it, granted he works for Meteor. Could of been O2 he ported to, but then again he used to work in O2. Shenanigans I tells ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

Got my phone delivered from Meteor today.

Despite two differant meteor employees telling me it's locked... unsurprisingly, its not :-)

docentore wrote: »
    (and its rooted)

thanks ptaszek, but most electronic devices in my house are hacked or moded in some way :D And thats one of the reasons why I'm getting Hero and love HTC phones - for the fact how easy is to mod and customize them.

Ah well, so you're one of those who will find some potential with 3rd party ROMs. I'm just to paranoid when it comes to my personal data to trust some "Paul" guy in the UK, as nice a chap he might be.

And agreed, that HTCs are a modders dream come true. At the very least they don't go after the modders as Google went after Cyanogen recently.

Shzm wrote: »

Despite two differant meteor employees telling me it's locked... unsurprisingly, its not :-)

I wonder why. Is it that they just wanted those phones so badly before holiday season, that they went with the sim-free ones, which were available initially only in WHITE (hint! hint!)?

Do Meteor lock their other premium class mobiles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

Is there any Meteor branding at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Nope.

There's a leaked/hacked Android 2.1 update for Hero out there now on the Modaco forums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,520 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Saw that, I've been following it on XDA Developer Forums. I'm sure Paul is well into doing a Modaco release of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

You're right, I meant XDA Developer Forums, not "Modaco forums"

I won't risk installing this for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 14 nrb

hows it goin...im thinkin of getting a new phone and ive had my eye on the htc hero...just a quick question ive never had a smart phone if i had my phone connected to my wireless at home this wouldnt be using up the quota of the data plan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭breeno

No, wireless connections don't incur data charges. A wireless icon appears on the screen when it's connected to wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

IH77 wrote: »
    Is there any Meteor branding at all?

Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Nope.
    second that.

none on mine;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I wonder why. Is it that they just wanted those phones so badly before holiday season, that they went with the sim-free ones, which were available initially only in WHITE (hint! hint!)?

Do Meteor lock their other premium class mobiles?

So am I right in saying I could go into a Meteor shop (or their website) and buy the phone for about €390? effectively sim-free.

Yeah I know they only have the white (I kind of prefer the brown colored one) but that's the only color available on most websites. Anyone got any suggestions where to buy this (have looked at amazon, expansys, pixmania) assuming Metoer get wise to my little plan ;)

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Calebmcd

Got my Hero yesterday. Its great. Can't wait for eclair though!

http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/01/htc-hero-gets-a-leaked-android-2-1-rom-with-sense/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Going to resist this 2.1 leaked rom for the minute as there are reports that its a bit laggy and issues with contacts etc. Good news is that in a few days there's bound to be stable 2.1 out from one of the devs. Can't wait to try it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

What will android 2.1 do for the ole hero (excuse my ignorance)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement