Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Not sure of all the changes, but it will be able to support googles free navigation software. Big + for getting 2.0/2.1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,520 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 fjh79

Anyone out there managed to set up their free yahoo email accounts with their Hero? Ive tried heaps of things and just no joy.
    Also is it a phone or meteor problem thats causing loss of reception? Ive had to turn my phone off 4 times today to get reception back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

for motorola android first.... Would there be upgrade for htc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Calebmcd

fjh79 wrote: »
    Anyone out there managed to set up their free yahoo email accounts with their Hero? Ive tried heaps of things and just no joy.
    Also is it a phone or meteor problem thats causing loss of reception? Ive had to turn my phone off 4 times today to get reception back.

no problem here

• Advertisement

Sorry cablemcd, does that mean youve no problem with yahoo mail or with reception? by the way make that 5 times ive had to turn the phone on and off to get back coverage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Calebmcd

Sorry cablemcd, does that mean youve no problem with yahoo mail or with reception? by the way make that 5 times ive had to turn the phone on and off to get back coverage!

Both, yahoo and Flickr are fine. And coverage is perfect, no restarting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

will o2 be taking on board the htc hero?
    Im thinking to switching to Meteor but if 02 will be getting it, then i would prefer to stay with them..

Is that your straight forward free yahoo email? What are the settings you used? The Ive been able to manage is sending emails from my yahoo account but cant connect to the server when I try setting it up to recieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ptashek

Sconsey wrote: »
    So am I right in saying I could go into a Meteor shop (or their website) and buy the phone for about €390? effectively sim-free.

By the looks of things, yes.
    Yeah I know they only have the white (I kind of prefer the brown colored one) but that's the only color available on most websites. Anyone got any suggestions where to buy this (have looked at amazon, expansys, pixmania) assuming Metoer get wise to my little plan ;)

There's plenty if you search on froogle.co.uk
    Stay away from Expansys, they're a rip-off. You'd get a better deal in the UK, from people like Clove Technology etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Irishdudedave

Ive lost coverage a few times also but just for other people having the same problem I find if you just switch on airplane mode and switch it off again straight away then the coverage returns without the hassle and wait for the phone to switch on (which seems to take an age)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭philidub

Just checked "my location" in Google map's and they seem pretty certain that I'm in Pakistan.......not in my apartment in Dublin....weird

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

philidub wrote: »
    Just checked "my location" in Google map's and they seem pretty certain that I'm in Pakistan.......not in my apartment in Dublin....weird
    lol.

what isp are you with? sounds like your IP is registered in pakistan?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭philidub

With ntl and meteor, just tried it on balcony so it could get view of sky and its working grand now. Strange. It does normally work without being outside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

Lads, as soon as I get my Hero, what apps etc. do you recommend I install?

I reckon taskiller is a must to save battery yeah? Thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

philidub wrote: »

Same here. I was in Dublin on the Meteor 3G network as it said I was in Kuwait and it was a blistering 32 outside, with not a cloud to be seen. Pity I was in Heuston with it pissing buckets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

ptashek wrote: »
    There's plenty if you search on froogle.co.uk
    Stay away from Expansys, they're a rip-off. You'd get a better deal in the UK, from people like Clove Technology etc.

theorder.co.uk seem to be one of the cheapest places. Got mine there, fast delivery, no sproblems with them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Fedule

I'm having a couple wierd problems with HTC's browser...

1) Facebook Touch completely breaks the thing. It loads the top bar and the links at the bottom (language/mobile site/full site/log out), with Facebook's "loading" symbol (the three vertical lines) very faintly displayed in the middle (which remains indefinitely), but I can't actually use any of the links, and have to pull up bookmarks to get out.

2) Google won't load (either .com or .ie or .anything). This is very annoying. I just get a white screen.

...hheeeaaalllp?

Also, a general problem:

Every now and then, it will just stop recognizing the sim card. All signal will drop, the unlock screen displays "no sim" and I have to restart the phone. The sim card is inserted correctly FYI.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭huberto

There's an icon at the top left of the screen, looks like a teardrop with a circular blob in the middle, followed by an exclamation mark. Just appeared today. Can't find anything that looks like it in the online Hero manual. Can anyone tell me what it means?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Ive lost coverage a few times also but just for other people having the same problem I find if you just switch on airplane mode and switch it off again straight away then the coverage returns without the hassle and wait for the phone to switch on (which seems to take an age)

I have also started being greeted by the Emergency Calls only screen on a regular basis.
    Anybody any idea who's at fault HTC or Meteor?

• Advertisement

huberto wrote: »
    There's an icon at the top left of the screen, looks like a teardrop with a circular blob in the middle, followed by an exclamation mark. Just appeared today. Can't find anything that looks like it in the online Hero manual. Can anyone tell me what it means?

Open the notification bar and it'll tell you :)
    Normally that icon would be displayed if the phone was unable to recognize your location and set the time zone.

rizzee wrote: »
    Lads, as soon as I get my Hero, what apps etc. do you recommend I install?

I reckon taskiller is a must to save battery yeah? Thanks :)

Advanced Task Manager is WAY better.
    Then I'd go with:

Locale + plugins (Sync, Airplane Mode)
    Apps Organizer
    NetCounter
    NewsRob (for RSS)
    Save MMS
    TuneWiki (if you listen to online radio)
    Mileage (if you have a car)
    SwiFTP Server (to push file to/from the phone over wifi!)
    Shazam
    Google Places Directory
    AndExplorer
    AndFTP

Can anyone who has a problem with their SIM card post the following: Build number, Baseband version? You can get both from "Settings -> About phone"

I'm not seeing this on ROM 2.73.405.5 and Baseband 63.18.55.06JU_6.35.08.29. GSM/UMTS and WiFi are perfectly stable.

Maybe you just got a crappy radio driver version on those Meteor units?

I have the same problem as dloob and fedule with the phone constantly dropping out of coverage (6 times yesterday and twice so far today). Its getting really annoying cos i have to keep checking my phone constantly to make sure ive coverage. Anyone solve this problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Noodles23

For people that are having problems with Sim cards.... (from experience of working in Vodafone for 2 years)

Please note that a SIM CARD UPGRADE might be needed! If you have a sim card a couple of years this could be old and will need an upgrade 1 (with the same number of course)

from personal experience I have seen first hand the after effects of people buying New tech Phones and there sim card not supporting the phone after a while, This WILL result in an INSERT SIM CARD msg on your phone, If this Comes up the say GOODBYE to all numbers stored on the sim card.

Just a tip :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

I have the same problem as dloob and fedule with the phone constantly dropping out of coverage (6 times yesterday and twice so far today). Its getting really annoying cos i have to keep checking my phone constantly to make sure ive coverage. Anyone solve this problem?

Do you know if the three of you bought the phone from the same place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭breeno

Can anyone who has a problem with their SIM card post the following: Build number, Baseband version? You can get both from "Settings -> About phone"

I'm not seeing this on ROM 2.73.405.5 and Baseband 63.18.55.06JU_6.35.08.29. GSM/UMTS and WiFi are perfectly stable.

I'm seeing baseband - 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18. Bought this from Meteor weekend before last. Is there a way to update this without voiding the warranty?

Any help appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

Mines 2.73.405.5 & 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18

Meteor unit, however i'm using a Vodafone sim and no issues whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Noodles23

chrislad wrote: »
    Same here. I was in Dublin on the Meteor 3G network as it said I was in Kuwait and it was a blistering 32 outside, with not a cloud to be seen. Pity I was in Heuston with it pissing buckets!

You Phone just took you on a holiday without your knowledge :eek: can't wait to get mine now Hopefully it will take me back to New York :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Noodles23 wrote: »
    You Phone just took you on a holiday without your knowledge :eek: can't wait to get mine now Hopefully it will take me back to New York :)

I went to Pakistan for 4 hours on Sat.

Tan to prove it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement