Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Noodles23

I went to Pakistan for 4 hours on Sat.

Tan to prove it.

My perfect Phone (I don't tan well but Hey I'm not gonna argue with a free Holiday) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 fjh79

got mine in the 3G shop in douglas cork last week. new meteor sim card and hes the same base band number as breeno above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Shzm wrote: »
    Mines 2.73.405.5 & 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18

Meteor unit, however i'm using a Vodafone sim and no issues whatsoever.

Same versions here.
    I've installed the no signal app to keep an eye on it.
    I don't think it's the sim becoming loose. It happens when it's just left on the table for while. It's a brand new sim too so that's not the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭breeno

Mine is a brand new sim also.

A quick google search suggests upgrading to 63.18.55.06IU_6.35.08.22 would fix the problem, but as far as I know you have to 'root' the phone(in other words put third party software on it) to do this which invalidates the warranty. I'm in two minds here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

breeno wrote: »
    Mine is a brand new sim also.

A quick google search suggests upgrading to 63.18.55.06IU_6.35.08.22 would fix the problem, but as far as I know you have to 'root' the phone(in other words put third party software on it) to do this which invalidates the warranty. I'm in two minds here.

Probably too basic a comment but are you sure the sim is correctly locked in.

When i got my phone first i did not have it locked correctly and was getting emergency only messages every so often.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 fjh79

Sim is and has been fully locked down in my phone and still having problems. might just go back to the shop and leave them sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

dloob wrote: »
    Same versions here.
    I've installed the no signal app to keep an eye on it.
    I don't think it's the sim becoming loose. It happens when it's just left on the table for while. It's a brand new sim too so that's not the issue.

i take it you're using a meteor sim though?

Also - is anyone having an issue with the phone not recognising that you've plugged headphones in? I've had to hard reset with them plugged in for the phone to recognise them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

I've a sim free hero using it on Vodafone and that sim problem has happened to me a few times. Only got a new sim about A month before the phone so I doubt that's the problem?

I don't know if it's a coincidence but I've only noticed this with the sim since I upgraded the HTC Rom (phone came with the old one installed). I wonder could the problem be with the HTC software?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

i take it you're using a meteor sim though?

Yes Meteor sim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭paddy2k

Also - is anyone having an issue with the phone not recognising that you've plugged headphones in? I've had to hard reset with them plugged in for the phone to recognise them...

I've had something similar happen to me but power cycling the phone, with the headphones either in or out, resolved it.

Has anyone else noticed a rattling noise in the phone? I think it may be the autofocus lens or the vibrate module. It's a little unnerving.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 hanleyco

I have a problem syncing my gmail account with the gmail and gtalk apps because i have a tcd gmail account. is there anyone else out there with the same problems or what setting can i change to make the tcd account accessible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I have same problem occasionally, embarrassing moment on the bus this morning when I couldn't understand why the podcast I was supposed to be listening to was so quiet...... but everyone around me heard it :o. Switching on/off always sorts it out but seems to be necessary each time it doesn't recognise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ptashek

I'm seeing baseband - 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18. Bought this from Meteor weekend before last. Is there a way to update this without voiding the warranty?

Any help appreciated

So it looks like those Meteor units ship with the same baseband driver as the initial release. Bejesus... you folks are like 4 updates behind what's current! (EU -> JU).

The update is quite straightforward, but needs a custom recovery image (amon-ra for hero). This requires either a rooted 2.73 series ROM or the original 1.76, which had "fastboot usb" factory enabled. I don't think that updating the phone' firmware is against warranty terms, but check your contract first.

To update, you will need a baseband image in a signed update format, which you then put on the SD named as "update.zip". Then you boot into recovery image, select "Apply sdcard:update.zip" (or some such) and a few minutes later Bob's your uncle.

The latest radio can be found on MoDaCo' website:
    http://content.modaco.net/hero/update-hero-radio-63.18.55.06JU_6.35.08.29-signed.zip

If you brick your device in the process, don't blame me :)
    A healthy dose of attention to detail is required...

p.s.: Here's a hack that helps rooting a phone, that's been patched up by the carrier to exclude "fastboot usb" or disable the flashrec route -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=572683

paddy2k wrote: »
    I've had something similar happen to me but power cycling the phone, with the headphones either in or out, resolved it.

Ah yes, the most annoying bug of them all. Are you using TuneWiki? That's what triggered the bug in my Hero. I had to use the "toggle headset widget" app for a while, until one day an update to TuneWiki was released and the bug was no more.

If anything else, the widget will save you from power cycling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

you see now why I'm going with MoDaCo from the very beginning? ;)

docentore wrote: »
    you see now why I'm going with MoDaCo from the very beginning? ;)

Well, MoDaCo is nothing else but a re-dressed stock ROM (2.73.405.66 now) and a custom kernel (based on stock HTC). While this may improve things, it may just as well break some other :) The best thing though is that we, as users, have the choice of what ROM and kernel we want to run - unlike the Apple fanboys who are drooling over their locked and restricted GSs ignorant of a better world :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,520 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Modaco Custom ROM 3.0 came out yesterday.

Changelog - 3.0
    - Moved base to 2.73.405.66
    - Updated busybox to fix colour coding ls issue
    - Updated kernel to Teknologist 1.9
    - Updated wpa_supplicant (0.5.11)

the .66 ROM is supposed to be faaaast, so looking forward to trying it later (and no, its not Eclair....)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

Just a wondering, when I turn on my phone and go into advanced task killer, there's a load of programs running and about 85m of free memory. When I kill the majority off, I get about 100m free memory, that's grand!

As the day moves on and I've used various things on my phone and killed them off etc, by the end of the day I only have about 50m of free memory? Where has it all gone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Installed that Modaco 3.0 and the new radio, going okay so far...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Get0fix

Hi just spotted Pixmania are selling the handset at 419 inc vat. for anyone who is interested. Not sure how competitive that is?
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/3154082/art/htc/hero-pda-phone.html

Regarding the new ROM, do you guys upgrade to the new Modaco ROM and then re-do ALL of your settings again(Scenes, contacts, mail setup, etc etc)? Is there some sort of settings backup that one can do before hand? I have been running the 2.9 ROM for about a month now and have it setup nicely...I'd hate to have to re-do everything. Or are all the settings retained when upgrading ROMS?

Im not sure any of the apps I've looked at in the market do what I want.

Get0fix wrote: »
    Or are all the settings retained when upgrading ROMS?

All settings are retained. These instructions assume you have the recovery image installed (if you don't know what that is, then you don't!)

1. Download the 3.0 MCR,
    2. Download the latest radio.
    3. Rename the MCR to update.zip
    4. Rename the radio to rupdate.zip
    5. Copy both to your SD card.
    6. Reboot phone in recovery mode.
    7. Do a nandroid backup.
    8. Apply sdcard: update.zip
    9. Apply sdcard: otherzip file (and select rupdate.zip)
    10. Select reboot when done.

Phone will take a bit longer to start up (you might need to reboot twice), but when done, you'll have the latest ROM and Radio, and all your settings and apps will be kept in place.

These are the exact steps I did this morning.

Get0fix wrote: »
    Hi just spotted Pixmania are selling the handset at 419 inc vat. for anyone who is interested. Not sure how competitive that is?
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/3154082/art/htc/hero-pda-phone.html

Meteor do it for €390, and it's unlocked (at the mo anyway).

Is the modaco 3.0 rom running android 2.0 yet? any word on the android 2.0 roms that appeared recently? do they run well etc?

Mr E wrote: »
    All settings are retained. These instructions assume you have the recovery image installed (if you don't know what that is, then you don't!)

1. Download the 3.0 MCR,
    7. Do a nandroid backup.

Phone will take a bit longer to start up (you might need to reboot twice), but when done, you'll have the latest ROM and Radio, and all your settings and apps will be kept in place.

You are a legend, thank you. Yeah I have the recovery ROM installed. I'll give this a bash later today!

Mr E wrote: »

1. Download the 3.0 MCR,
    7. Do a nandroid backup.

Thanks Mr E, would it be possible to do a quick guide to setting up a recovery image? Pretty please!

Is the modaco 3.0 rom running android 2.0 yet? any word on the android 2.0 roms that appeared recently? do they run well etc?

No, Android 2.1 is a few weeks away yet. There is a guy on the XDA Developer forums that has created a version that works on the Hero, but its has bits missing (like a contact list!) and performs poorly. I'd say Modaco will wait for HTC's official release (just before or after Christmas) and work from that to create their own custom ROM.

Thanks Mr E, would it be possible to do a quick guide to setting up a recovery image? Pretty please!

Here are the steps I followed as the steps outlined on the Modaco page did not work.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=559613

As far as I know, FlashRec needs to be used with the newer phones. This is obtainable from the link I posted above :)

Thanks, saves me a chunk of typing. :)
    Didn't want to post Modaco's instructions since they're out of date.

• Advertisement

Cool no worries. Thought it was about time I gave back to this thread as you guys have helped me so much already!

If people run into issues, they can look through the Xda thread to see if other users have had the same problem, and troubleshoot from there. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement