Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

No problems with losing service today.
    I did restart the phone last night and I'm wondering if it's connect to uptime.
    It hadn't been restarted in a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Get0fix

All seems to be going well after MCR 3.0 update. Fixed my issue I had with Google Maps crashing when running searches, so I'm very happy ;)

On another note, can anyone recommend a cover and screen protector? I know there are loads online, just wondering if particular ones are better than others? If not I'll prob just grab something cheap and cheerful off Amazon...

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭-maccer-

Hey guys,

Installed an app last night called Wavesecure, the same app is subscription based on other platforms but is actually free on android market for the moment as it is beta version. Will also remain free to people who download it now even when it becomes subscription based in future.

Seriously impressive software, lets you remotely lock the phone, track it, back up contacts, remotely wipe all data off the phone. They give you a logon for their website which lets you carry out all the remote functionality.

Really polished software for a beta. Also what I thought was a great little feature is that the software automatically locks the phone if a new sim is put into it (a function which does not seem to be already on the phone). Anyone on here using it already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭rednoggin

Get0fix wrote: »

On another note, can anyone recommend a cover and screen protector? I know there are loads online, just wondering if particular ones are better than others? If not I'll prob just grab something cheap and cheerful off Amazon...

I'm using the official htc hero screen protectors... I get around 2 months out of them but i'm very forgetful and throw my phone into the pocket with coins and pens. They are good but more expensive than non branded ones. Anyone use both official and non official screen protectors, if there is no difference i might get the chepaer ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I have an invisible shield screen protector on mine. Ordered the HTC ones but this arrived. I find it really dulls down the responsiveness of the screen to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭rednoggin

EPM wrote: »
    I have an invisible shield screen protector on mine. Ordered the HTC ones but this arrived. I find it really dulls down the responsiveness of the screen to be honest

Yea thats true, its only when i changed my protector and used the phone without it that i realised how much of a differnece there was. But only for it my phone would be scraped in sh*t...

• Registered Users Posts: 12 hanleyco

All seems to be going well after MCR 3.0 update. Fixed my issue I had with Google Maps crashing when running searches, so I'm very happy ;)

Im still getting this problem with googlemaps. did you do anything in particular to fix this or was it just fixed with the 3.0 update?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ptashek

Folks, for those who feel brave or mad enough ;) to try cooking they're own Hero ROM here's a guide I have compiled from all the various sources on the internets... Tested and working, to which my own device is a testimony. Make sure you read the bits in RED first :)

http://lukasz.szmit.eu/2009/12/04/making-your-own-rooted-android-rom/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

-maccer- wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Installed an app last night called Wavesecure, the same app is subscription based on other platforms but is actually free on android market for the moment as it is beta version. Will also remain free to people who download it now even when it becomes subscription based in future.

Seriously impressive software, lets you remotely lock the phone, track it, back up contacts, remotely wipe all data off the phone. They give you a logon for their website which lets you carry out all the remote functionality.

Really polished software for a beta. Also what I thought was a great little feature is that the software automatically locks the phone if a new sim is put into it (a function which does not seem to be already on the phone). Anyone on here using it already?

That sounds pretty cool, I may just have to download it. On my old Nokia, you could set up a phrase that if you texted the phone, it would lock it until the correct password was entered. Nice feature!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Yenwod wrote: »
    That sounds pretty cool, I may just have to download it. On my old Nokia, you could set up a phrase that if you texted the phone, it would lock it until the correct password was entered. Nice feature!

Pintail is a good app that allows you to send a text to the phone & it will give you its location on google maps.... I also have wavesecure

• Advertisement

On another note, can anyone recommend a cover and screen protector?

I'm using the FlexiShield Skin, and for 10 sterling it's a steal! It's light, fits onto the Hero perfectly and is made of non-slip material. Here's some real life shots of it:
    4158092743_6940063465_m.jpg

4158092937_b1d845afdf_m.jpg

For screen protector I use the official ones. Two for a tenner is cheap, considering the quality.

-maccer- wrote: »
    Installed an app last night called Wavesecure, [..] Anyone on here using it already?

I'm using "LocService" combined with "Sim Checker" and "Remote Wipe", all made by Luca Sagaria. Not as polished, but more flexible and does the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Htc have announced that the Hero's succesor is being revealed in February.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/04/htc-exec-promises-hero-successor-in-2010-debut-at-mobile-world/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

Great link, cheers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I heard that the Hero is to get a price drop on Meteor after Christmas. Does anyone know if there is any truth in this? Do phone carriers have "January sales"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Calebmcd

Don't see it happening.

Its already cheaper than most smart phones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Dman001 wrote: »
    I heard that the Hero is to get a price drop on Meteor after Christmas. Does anyone know if there is any truth in this? Do phone carriers have "January sales"?

I could see it dropping by about 50 euro or such. Most phones on Irish networks tend to launch at slightly higher price to take advantage of early adopters. Although it's new to Meteor, the news of its replacement coming in February should also make it cheaper to source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

There are a load more android phones due out in Jan/Feb.

Sony Ericsson and Samsung have products on the way to name but a few.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the HTC Hero shows up on '3' in the new year. It's already on 3 UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

dloob wrote: »
    No problems with losing service today.
    I did restart the phone last night and I'm wondering if it's connect to uptime.
    It hadn't been restarted in a few days.

As an update on this since I've restarted the phone I haven't had any loss of service.
    I'll see if it starts happening again as the uptime increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Solair wrote: »
    There are a load more android phones due out in Jan/Feb.

Sony Ericsson and Samsung have products on the way to name but a few.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the HTC Hero shows up on '3' in the new year. It's already on 3 UK.

It took a ridiculously long time to get an android phone on a carrier here, I'd be surprised if any of the networks (bar three) brought out new ones, particularily since the android range is only a fairly recent release.

SIM free is a different story but not everyone is prepared to shell out that much on a phone straight up ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Anyone having a problem with the scroll ball thingy on their Hero? mine seems to have a mind of its own most of the time. I'm on my third hero now and starting to lose patience. Turning the phone off and on again usually sorts it

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

Anyone know how to name folders that you create? Also on Vodafone, can't seem to get MMS working no matter what I try, anyone else with the same issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

EPM wrote: »
    Anyone having a problem with the scroll ball thingy on their Hero? mine seems to have a mind of its own most of the time. I'm on my third hero now and starting to lose patience. Turning the phone off and on again usually sorts it
    Get this too. I usually find if you lock the screen, push the scrollerball down and then rotate it for a few seconds, it stops acting up, at least for a couple of hours.

TBH I wish there was a setting that allowed you to completely disable the scroller. I never find myself needing to use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Easy Rider wrote: »
    Also on Vodafone, can't seem to get MMS working no matter what I try, anyone else with the same issue?

Am on Vodafone too, got settings from this thread and MMS seems to work off and on. I have been waiting for Vodafone to release MMS settings for Tattoo, and they're up now, but seem to be same as what I've already got.
    MMS Settings

Can't send or receive multimedia messages on your phone? Here are the settings you'll need.
    1. Press the main menu select ‘Settings’.
    2. Select ‘Wireless Controls’.
    3. Select ‘Mobile Networks’.
    4. Select ‘Access point names’.
    5. Press the ‘Menu’ button and select ‘New APN’.
    6. Set ‘Name’ to “Vodafone MMS”.
    7. Set ‘APN’ to “mms.vodafone.net”.
    8. Set ‘MMSC’ to “http://www.vodafone.ie/mms”.
    9. Set ‘MMS Proxy’ to “10.24.59.200”.
    10. Set ‘MMS Port’ to “80”.
    11. Press the ‘Menu’ button and select ‘Save’.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 cwjcwjcwj

Guys, which internet package are you all taking for your HTC Hero? Is 250 MB sufficient?

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

cwjcwjcwj wrote: »
    Guys, which internet package are you all taking for your HTC Hero? Is 250 MB sufficient?

Thats the one, its sufficient, but dont have a field day with youtube or the likes. Ive 10 days left until my bill, and ive 98mb left to use. I use the wifi if ever im gonna stream lots, data if its only 1 or 2 vids.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

I have the 1GB promo with Vodafone. Use hs.Vodafone.ie get good speeds. Costs around 8 euro or so.

Zagato wrote: »
    Am on Vodafone too, got settings from this thread and MMS seems to work off and on.

Keep in mind, that MMS won't work if you're connected to a WiFi network.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 hanleyco

This website claims to have android 2.1 for the hero. dont know if its the real deal or not http://www.sizzledcore.com/2009/12/01/get-android-2-0-on-htc-hero/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Phlegmo

Easy Rider wrote: »
    Anyone know how to name folders that you create? Also on Vodafone, can't seem to get MMS working no matter what I try, anyone else with the same issue?

See Mr E's post in this thread...#280.
    I use these settings on my Hero with Vodafone and they work 100% of the time. Remember to save APNs with separate names.

As for folder naming...do you have a file manager installed? I use Astro file manager, its free from the Android market and is great. It allows u to create and rename directories.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement