Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,520 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

hanleyco wrote: »
    This website claims to have android 2.1 for the hero. dont know if its the real deal or not http://www.sizzledcore.com/2009/12/01/get-android-2-0-on-htc-hero/

Early version put together by enthusiasts. Lots still broken with these roms, so only for die-hard modders at the moment. Wait a few weeks for something more stable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

I've got my Hero on Saturday evening, played around with it and went sleep. This morning when I woke up I noticed "Emergency only" on my screen. So decided to put my plan into life, in meaning install MoDaCo rom and update Radio.
    That was hard, I mean easy when I look at it now, but so many different tutorials and information. You really need to be careful!
    Its working like a dream, I didn't know that there are so many apps already!

I went through those proposed by ptashek. Anyone else knows any useful ones? Specifically in Network engineer job or just fun.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

I'm with Vodafone and my MMS won't work either? I had them working from Mr.E's post, then I upgraded the HTC Rom so had to re-enter the settings. Same settings as last time but won't work properly.

MMS won't send full stop. When I'm sent an MMS, I get a message with a download button in it and an expiry date for the message. Press download and it always fails. Then about two weeks later, I get a message from Vodafone to go the Vodafone website to see my picture...etc!

Very frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

Yep same with me. I have WiFi turned off still nothing. Get that download button too. Setting are as previous posts too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

Picked up my Hero on Saturday and loving it.:D

For those that have purchased a 16GB Class 6 MicroSD card and are happy with the cards performance, can you tell me the brand and where you got it from?

Cheers

• Advertisement

Anyone able to get MarketEnabler to work on the HTC hero? I keep getting the message 'heuston we have a problem' Also for those who have Spotify mobile installed, how did you get it? Want to get a friend use their UK credit card so I can get a subscription, would be great to use the mobile app too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,727 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Easy Rider wrote: »
    Anyone know how to name folders that you create?
    I assume you mean on the Home panels? It took me a while to find this out, it's not exactly intuitive. You need to open up the folder, then Long Press on the folder's title bar. Very handy trick to have once you know it

Does anyone know when Google are going to open up the market for paid apps in Ireland? Don't really want to root my phone, but would be nice to get access to a couple of the paid apps (Sega and Nintendo emulators FTW!)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Easy Rider wrote: »
    Anyone able to get MarketEnabler to work on the HTC hero? I keep getting the message 'heuston we have a problem'

ME needs root access to run. Have you rooted your phone?
    (If you don't know what that means, then you probably haven't!)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭-maccer-

28064212 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when Google are going to open up the market for paid apps in Ireland? Don't really want to root my phone, but would be nice to get access to a couple of the paid apps (Sega and Nintendo emulators FTW!)

You can already get free sega and nitendo emulators on the market. Just search sega and nintendo and they should come up. I have tried out a few games on them and to be honest I find that trying to control the game with a virtual d-pad doesn't work very well. Does anybody actually have recommendations of emulator games which work well with the hero control system?? Thanks.

Ah, I see, yes I do know what rooting the phone means, just not willing to do it yet. Thanks for the reply.

• Advertisement

-maccer- wrote: »
    You can already get free sega and nitendo emulators on the market. Just search sega and nintendo and they should come up. I have tried out a few games on them and to be honest I find that trying to control the game with a virtual d-pad doesn't work very well. Does anybody actually have recommendations of emulator games which work well with the hero control system?? Thanks.
    Yeah, I already have the free versions, but you can't save games on it, which is a fairly big limitation. I find the d-pad takes a bit of getting used to, but once you get the hang of it it's not too bad. Would be cool if someone developed a generic control pad with a micro-USB connection that the controls could be mapped to

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭-maccer-

28064212 wrote: »
    Yeah, I already have the free versions, but you can't save games on it, which is a fairly big limitation. I find the d-pad takes a bit of getting used to, but once you get the hang of it it's not too bad. Would be cool if someone developed a generic control pad with a micro-USB connection that the controls could be mapped to

Ah, I never even thought about saving the games, that is quite a downside alright. +1 on the external control pad, would be an absolutly fantastic accessory for the phone. Have googled around and it would appear that android does not support any external controllers at the moment. Has anyone seen anything to the contrary???

Something like this for the hero would be the business:

http://icontrolpad.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭dec2000

Has anyone downloaded the settings from the O2 Site for the Hero, what phone did you choose as the Hero is not listed :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭serarra

Mr E wrote: »
    ME needs root access to run. Have you rooted your phone?
    (If you don't know what that means, then you probably haven't!)

Yes, I have.
    Go to http://forum.xda-developers.com/ or modaco (Actually, the first one sent me to modaco, where I donwloaded the new radios and the loader, then you only need to flash it with a rooted image (modaco 2.9 is good)

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

ptashek wrote: »
    Can anyone who has a problem with their SIM card post the following: Build number, Baseband version? You can get both from "Settings -> About phone"

I'm not seeing this on
    ROM 2.73.405.5 and
    Baseband 63.18.55.06JU_6.35.08.29
    GSM/UMTS and WiFi are perfectly stable.

Maybe you just got a crappy radio driver version on those Meteor units?

Emergency Calls Only issue
    Firmware version 1.5
    Build number: 2.73.405.5 ROM 2.73.405.5 and
    Baseband : 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18

The Emergency Calls Only issue is likely a firmware problem.

HTC Hero users with problem handsets...
    1. T-Square
    2. YenWod
    3. StinkyFish
    4. dloob
    5. docentor updated the radio rom and flashed custom MoDaCo rom
    6. breeno (maybe)
    7. ptashek (maybe)
    8. IrishDudeDave

As a reminder, if you get the phone back to the store within 14 days, money back, if you get back within 30 days, an exchange, if after, then two weeks without phone while a phone-jobber tries to fix it.

I bought mine in Meteor Blanchardstown around the start of Nov.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

T-Square wrote: »
    The Emergency Calls Only issue is likely a firmware problem.

HTC Hero users with problem handsets...
    1. T-Square
    2. YenWod
    3. StinkyFish
    4. dloob
    5. docentor
    6. breeno (maybe)
    7. ptashek (maybe)
    8. IrishDudeDave

As a reminder, if you get the phone back to the store within 14 days, money back, if you get back within 30 days, an exchange, if after, then two weeks without phone while a phone-jobber tries to fix it.

I bought mine in Meteor Blanchardstown around the start of Nov.

not any more ;) yesterday updated the radio rom and flashed custom MoDaCo rom. no probs since then. Loving the phone BTW :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

Alas, I got my Hero! Love it! Been playing with it the last 3 hours or so...

Few questions.

Whats the story with delivery reports? I turned it on and all I get is a little notification icon beside each messsage in a thread, but it doesn't say whether the message is delivered or not? Anyone know whats the deal with this or am I looking at the wrong place?

How do you make your SIM contacts the default ones?

Is there any good themes around on the Market as I can't seem to find any. I installed some Ferrari one but I need Open-something program/app to use it? Can't find it anywhere.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

rizzee wrote: »
    Alas, I got my Hero! Love it! Been playing with it the last 3 hours or so...

Few questions.

Whats the story with delivery reports? I turned it on and all I get is a little notification icon beside each messsage in a thread, but it doesn't say whether the message is delivered or not? Anyone know whats the deal with this or am I looking at the wrong place?

How do you make your SIM contacts the default ones?

Is there any good themes around on the Market as I can't seem to find any. I installed some Ferrari one but I need Open-something program/app to use it? Can't find it anywhere.

Cheers

Best source of info is here :D

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=508

and here

http://android.modaco.com/category/409/htc-hero-hero-modaco-com/

Also spend time reading the thread as all you need to know is in it. There are at least two guides a few pages back on flashing new roms, radios themes etc. Enjoy the phone but be very careful flashing it.

Whats all this talk of radios?

• Advertisement

Got the delivery notice thing sorted - have to hold on the message in the thread then click view report!

Next thing I need is custom SMS alerts and I think thats it!

Task killer is handy, very annoying though, I set it as a shortcut on my homescreen and i nearly have to press it all the time to kill off the tasks, pity they don't end themselves :( Great phone non the less i'm satisfied so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ptashek

[*]ptashek (maybe)

No radio problems here. Currently running self-made ROM (stock 2.73.405.38 + Teknologist 1.9 kernel) and the latest radio (JU). It's flying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Next thing I need is custom SMS alerts and I think thats it!

Ringdroid is your answer. Custom notifications, alarm tones etc.

Would you believe it, I just downloaded that and then saw your post :pac: Going to give it a go now see what its like. Cheers! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ptashek

Whats all this talk of radios?

Your Hero hardware has two things on top of it - the ROM (OS if you like) and a baseband firmware, which drives WiFi, GSM and Bluetooth radios. The baseband firmware is also referred to as just "radio", or "radio image".

I've a ringtone I want as my SMS done and set through ringdroid, but when I recieve a message it's still a stock sms tone instead of the one I made? :S And in settings its clicked as the one I made too. Any ideas?
    Confused.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I've a ringtone I want as my SMS done and set through ringdroid, but when I recieve a message it's still a stock sms tone instead of the one I made? :S And in settings its clicked as the one I made too. Any ideas?
    Confused.com

Have you set the notification in the actual app itself or just through notification settings? It should work once done within the app.

Dr. Loon wrote: »
    Have you set the notification in the actual app itself or just through notification settings? It should work once done within the app.

Can't see an option for that? I've pressed the menu key when i'm in the app but all I get is ''about'' and ''show all audio'' :confused:

Got the delivery notice thing sorted - have to hold on the message in the thread then click view report.
    I don't think that's accurate. It says Delivered, but it says that even if the receiving phone is off and hasn't got the message. It's a known bug in Android that is (ridiculously) still not fixed: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=2305

• Advertisement

For the tweakers, Teknologist has released a very small hack which speeds up the phone's wake-up cycle. Normally the phone can be a little sluggish after waking it up, but after this update there is a noticeable speed increase - no sluggishness at all.

http://android.teknologism.org/changelog/

You need to have Teknologist's kernel installed, or MCR 2.9 or 3.0 (which includes his kernel).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement