Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

A problem I am having is with audio streaming over bluetooth. I have it connected to the car radio. It is configured to automatically connect. Usually it doesn't connect, but would at a random time, possibly up to 15 minutes later. Sometimes it connects immediately. Also when playing it often pauses for a second then plays again. I had an N95-2 and never had a problem with this.
    Got it from Meteor and havent modified the firmware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

kc66 wrote: »
    Also when playing it often pauses for a second then plays again.

This happens me when I'm playing audio either through the speakers, through headphones, or through a cable into my car radio. Stutters a bit at the start of a track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

plazzTT wrote: »
    This happens me when I'm playing audio either through the speakers, through headphones, or through a cable into my car radio. Stutters a bit at the start of a track.
    mine stutters at the beginning of a track too, changed to tunewiki, with little improvement, except now with tune wiki, when i select "shuffle songs" in an album or whatever, it pauses between songs, with a pause of over 1 minute, unless i press a button on the phone... as if its sleeping or something.

this happens 9 in 10 times i select shuffle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

T-Square wrote: »
    The Emergency Calls Only issue is likely a firmware problem.

HTC Hero users with problem handsets...
    1. T-Square
    2. YenWod
    3. StinkyFish
    4. dloob
    5. docentor updated the radio rom and flashed custom MoDaCo rom
    6. breeno (maybe)
    7. ptashek (maybe)
    8. IrishDudeDave

As a reminder, if you get the phone back to the store within 14 days, money back, if you get back within 30 days, an exchange, if after, then two weeks without phone while a phone-jobber tries to fix it.

I bought mine in Meteor Blanchardstown around the start of Nov.
    My Hero is on the same ROM as yours, T-Square. Bought it SIM free so it wasn't through Meteor.

With O2, it works fine. No loss of service (bar O2's dodgy coverage in parts of West Dublin!) for the past week I was using them.
    Ported to Meteor this afternoon. Already, the handset has bombed out to "No Service" twice, in the space of 8 hours. Needs to have Airplane mode switched on and off again in order for the coverage to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 echo59

dec2000 wrote: »
    Has anyone downloaded the settings from the O2 Site for the Hero, what phone did you choose as the Hero is not listed :confused:

I don't know if you can get the APN settings sent from the website. I manually entered 2 sets of APN settings as follows:

Menu > Settings > Wireless controls > Mobile network settings > Access Point Names > Menu > New APN

For MMS use these settings:
    Name: o2 MMS
    APN: internet
    Proxy: 62.40.32.40
    Port: 8080
    Username: <not set>
    Password: <not set>
    Server: http://www.o2.ie
    MMSC: http://mmsc.mms.o2.ie:8002
    MMS Proxy 62.40.32.40
    MMS Port: 8080
    MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 02
    APN type: mms

For Internet use these settings:
    Name: o2 Internet
    MMS Proxy 62.40.32.40
    APN type: <not set>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

1. T-Square
    2. YenWod
    3. StinkyFish
    4. dloob
    6. breeno (maybe)
    7. ptashek (maybe)
    8. IrishDudeDave

As a reminder, if you get the phone back to the store within 14 days, money back, if you get back within 30 days, an exchange, if after, then two weeks without phone while a phone-jobber tries to fix it.

Put me back on the list :/ It doesn't happening so often with new radio but still. Once yesterday evening and once today. Once a day its not bad, but still.

Also noticed that when battery level go past 50% it drains then in 2 hours. Anyone noticed that?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭dec2000

echo59 wrote: »
    I don't know if you can get the APN settings sent from the website. I manually entered 2 sets of APN settings as follows:

Menu > Settings > Wireless controls > Mobile network settings > Access Point Names > Menu > New APN

For MMS use these settings:
    Name: o2 MMS
    MMS Proxy 62.40.32.40
    APN type: mms

For Internet use these settings:
    Name: o2 Internet
    MMS Proxy 62.40.32.40
    APN type: <not set>

Thanks for this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Irishdudedave

Ive stopped having the No Service Problem now, only problem is that the way I stopped it from occurring was by setting the phone to 2g mode only.

Its not ideal, but where I am living the 3g coverage is dismal and according to the meteor website it doesn't even have 3g coverage in my area yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭smartblaa

1. T-Square
    2. YenWod
    3. StinkyFish
    4. dloob
    6. breeno (maybe)
    7. ptashek (maybe)
    8. IrishDudeDave

I've tried to raise this on the meteor forums, but they are not approving my posts because they don't like them.

Ive stopped having the No Service Problem now, only problem is that the way I stopped it from occurring was by setting the phone to 2g mode only.

Its not ideal, but where I am living the 3g coverage is dismal and according to the meteor website it doesn't even have 3g coverage in my area yet.

Just installed widget to switch the mode quickly. When I'm browsing I switch to 3g, but when don't use the phone (in the pocket etc) it would be 2g. Will see if it helps until real solution is found.
    I don't want to return the phone as I love it.

Oh, and also with 2g the battery life should improve.

• Advertisement

smartblaa wrote: »
    I've tried to raise this on the meteor forums, but they are not approving my posts because they don't like them.

There is a thread about this on Meteor forums already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

For people on the 25/20 a month contract, did you get a bonus 250MB data package for free? The guy in the shop told me I'd have it free for the first month, but now I'm in the second month and I see 250MB data under "Bonus" on mymeteor.ie

Anyone else have this?

BTW anyone tried the new UStream app? http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/11/25/ustream-android/ I'm watching live video on it now over WiFi, seems good. We'll see how it is for streaming live soccer games over 3G tomorrow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ptashek

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    mine stutters at the beginning of a track too, changed to tunewiki, with little improvement, except now with tune wiki, when i select "shuffle songs" in an album or whatever, it pauses between songs, with a pause of over 1 minute, unless i press a button on the phone... as if its sleeping or something.

this happens 9 in 10 times i select shuffle.

It's a known bug in TuneWiki running on Hero, with which the developers seem to be not bothered AT ALL. It makes the app pretty unusable as a music player (but it's still great for streaming radio).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ptashek

docentore wrote: »
    Also noticed that when battery level go past 50% it drains then in 2 hours. Anyone noticed that?

I see that closer to 30%. Once it gets there you better scramble for the charger, as the battery will be dead within an hour for sure. But I'm still getting a very good runtime out of it and usually just charge overnight.

Can you receive incoming calls OK when you're in EDGE mode and if an EDGE connection is open and being used (ie. you're using the browser, Gmail is syncing etc. etc)? Because I can't - all calls go straight to voicemail :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

If anyone out here is still looking for a Hero, the 3G store in Dundrum has some in stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

3G seem to be doing a good deal for the Hero for new Meteor Customers.

If you are porting your number and you trade in your old phone, you can get the Hero for €69.99. I was told this deal is for the Connect €20 tariff. Does anyone know what are the requirements for the phone you can trade in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

Kensington wrote: »
    Can you receive incoming calls OK when you're in EDGE mode and if an EDGE connection is open and being used (ie. you're using the browser, Gmail is syncing etc. etc)? Because I can't - all calls go straight to voicemail :(

Kensington, I have been having some problems over the past few days receiving calls. My phone either rings about three times, and it goes straight to voicemail (despite it being set to ring for 30 seconds before diverting), or it doesn't ring and straight to voicemail.

I also noticed that my voicemail has now been disabled and I now just get a "we're sorry the number you have dialed cannot be reached at this time, Please try again later" message. Called Meteor Customer Care twice tonight, both times told problem will be resolved (firstly by texting "mail" to 50102, which didn't work and the second time after the guy spoke to someone in tech support). So I will be calling them again tomorrow.

However, the problem of calls diverting seems to have been fixed, with just the voicemail problem outstanding. So a call to 1905 they might be able to sort it out for you.

Edit: Actually no the diverting problem has not been fixed, just tried to call my number while google was syncing and it diverted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Dman001 wrote: »
    3G seem to be doing a good deal for the Hero for new Meteor Customers.

If you are porting your number and you trade in your old phone, you can get the Hero for €69.99. I was told this deal is for the Connect €20 tariff. Does anyone know what are the requirements for the phone you can trade in?

That is the price if porting to Meteor and trading in a camera phone on Connect 45 or above.

It is 129.99 less €30 for porting and less €30 for the tradein.

delop wrote: »
    I noticed that when I receive a call the phone only rings twice and then goes to voice mail, Ive asked ppl who have rang me and they say that for them it rang a number of times

Is this happening to anyone else?

Did you ever get this problem fixed? I am having the same problem.

• Advertisement

IH77 wrote: »
    Did you ever get this problem fixed? I am having the same problem.
    This seems to be a problem with the firmware. The Hero takes about 10 seconds from the time the call starts ringing to when it actually starts alerting you of an incoming call when its in lock mode. If the handset is unlocked, calls seem to come through quicker (try ringing your phone and see the length of time from when you start hearing the ringing tone and when your Hero actually starts ringing). This is not just when on Meteor either. The HTC Eris in the US has one of the bugfixes in the latest version listed as "Upgraded functionality after activation eliminates the delay users were experiencing in receiving their first call". Sounds like a very bad translation to English for "the delay has been eliminated when the phone is woken up from sleep mode by a call".

The EDGE problem does seem to be restricted to Meteor though. Basically, if the phone is transferring data over EDGE and someone calls you while the transfer is in progress, they're being diverted straight to voicemail or if VM is off, told you're unreachable. If the phone is in EDGE mode, but NOT transferring data at the time of an incoming call, then the call seems to get through OK. The problem seemingly is down to a setting Meteor have in their EDGE setup (NOM type). This isn't an issue if you're in 3G coverage. Can't get 3G in the work though and with no WiFi, it's a pain in the arse!

This seems to be a problem with the firmware. The Hero takes about 10 seconds from the time the call starts ringing to when it actually starts alerting you of an incoming call when its in lock mode. If the handset is unlocked, calls seem to come through quicker (try ringing your phone and see the length of time from when you start hearing the ringing tone and when your Hero actually starts ringing).

I don't seem to have a delay near that bad. When I call my phone (in lock mode) the Hero starts ringing after one ring (i.e. 2-3 seconds), which I think is fairly standard for any phone?

The EDGE problem does seem to be restricted to Meteor though. Basically, if the phone is transferring data over EDGE and someone calls you while the transfer is in progress, they're being diverted straight to voicemail or if VM is off, told you're unreachable. If the phone is in EDGE mode, but NOT transferring data at the time of an incoming call, then the call seems to get through OK. The problem seemingly is down to a setting Meteor have in their EDGE setup (NOM type). This isn't an issue if you're in 3G coverage. Can't get 3G in the work though and with no WiFi, it's a pain in the arse!

This is a massive pain as the Hero is in Edge mode quite a bit where I am. For now I have disabled the auto-sync which should mean less data is being transferred throughout the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 magicaljaso

I've also been having this problem. Living in Monkstown and numerous calls going straight to voicemail. Been on to customer care at least 5 times as missed calls causing havoc. I must say, however, that contrary to the above posters I turned off both WiFi and mobile network and STILL missed calls - thus suggesting that the problem is more than just a case of missing calls while Edge transferring data. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

ARE YOU JOKING?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

smartblaa wrote: »

They are doing the same to me.
    I also sent a complaint email to Meteor support, and they ignored it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

That is the price if porting to Meteor and trading in a camera phone on Connect 45 or above.

It is 129.99 less €30 for porting and less €30 for the tradein.
    I was told this is the price for the Connect 20 plan. Maybe he said €79.99?

I must say, however, that contrary to the above posters I turned off both WiFi and mobile network and STILL missed calls - thus suggesting that the problem is more than just a case of missing calls while Edge transferring data. Any ideas?

might also be the case with me, I just assumed it was a problem with Edge given Kensington's observations. I haven't done enough tests to see the status of the connection when the calls are cutting to voicemail. I am going to be out of the country for the next 3 weeks so won't really be affected but will be following this up with Meteor upon my return if the problem still exists.

What did they say at Meteor? Or were they just clueless?

T-Square wrote:
    ARE YOU JOKING?
    Unfortunately not!
    T-Square wrote:
    They are doing the same to me.
    I also sent a complaint email to Meteor support, and they ignored it.
    They may as well close their forums for all the good it's doing. None of the posts seem to be getting approved and there has been basically no response from either of the mods, or anyone else in Meteor, to the problems raised on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 magicaljaso

IH77 wrote: »
    might also be the case with me, I just assumed it was a problem with Edge given Kensington's observations. I haven't done enough tests to see the status of the connection when the calls are cutting to voicemail. I am going to be out of the country for the next 3 weeks so won't really be affected but will be following this up with Meteor upon my return if the problem still exists.

What did they say at Meteor? Or were they just clueless?

They tried to suggest it was a handset issue so they had me try sim in other phones - problem remained. They then had me replace the sim - problem remained. I became quite frustrated and said I wanted to talk about cancelling my contract as situation just unworkable - the supervisor was reasonable enough and said that the last step was to have their engineers look at it, which takes 3 days, and if problem can't be resolved there is unlikely to be problem cancelling contract. Not exactly what I was looking for though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 aurelio

Anyone know if it possible to get video out on the Hero? Thought I read somewhere that the reason for the funny shape of the HTC mini-USB was to facilitate video out.
    Read a good review of a 3M mini projector, and was wondering if the Hero could be used as a video source.........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement