Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

aurelio wrote: »
    Anyone know if it possible to get video out on the Hero? Thought I read somewhere that the reason for the funny shape of the HTC mini-USB was to facilitate video out.
    Read a good review of a 3M mini projector, and was wondering if the Hero could be used as a video source.........

Don't believe there is video out on the Hero - if there was they would have given a video cable with the device which they didn't.
    Here is a post which says the poster tried to use a video out cable and nothing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    mine stutters at the beginning of a track too, changed to tunewiki, with little improvement, except now with tune wiki, when i select "shuffle songs" in an album or whatever, it pauses between songs, with a pause of over 1 minute, unless i press a button on the phone... as if its sleeping or something.

this happens 9 in 10 times i select shuffle.

Don't seem to have this problem, but I am using a custom MoDoCo rom

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Honestly, so many problems listed here again and again - and serious issues - i'm right off buying this phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Proxy wrote: »
    Honestly, so many problems listed here again and again - and serious issues - i'm right off buying this phone.
    Me too. I dont understand though why the reviews for the phone are so positive if these are notiable problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Dman001 wrote: »
    Me too. I dont understand though why the reviews for the phone are so positive if these are notiable problems.

Because the phone itself is brilliant and the most of the problems are Meteor fault. I just hope that those troubles will be sorted soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

docentore wrote: »
    Because the phone itself is brilliant and the most of the problems are Meteor fault. I just hope that those troubles will be sorted soon.
    Sorry, I stupidly commented wothout actually reading into the problems commented. Fortunately it is unlocked (for now anyway) and Ill be putting my Vodafone sim into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The hero is an advanced phone with advanced features. If you are uncomfortable with the feedback here you should definitely go for something more mainstream. Nokia have a range of touch screen phones that are less complicated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

docentore wrote: »

Exactly. Despite the problems I have had (which all appear to be Meteor's fault) it is a brilliant phone and so much fun to use.

It's also my first smartphone and touchscreen (I came from using the K800i) and I find it easy to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Bluefoam wrote: »
    The hero is an advanced phone with advanced features. If you are uncomfortable with the feedback here you should definitely go for something more mainstream. Nokia have a range of touch screen phones that are less complicated.
    But an advanced phone with advanced features should surely be a lot more reliable. I do tech support for a living, I don't want to have to be doing it 24-7 on my handset :)

If the problems truly are Meteor's fault, then maybe i'll wait until the New Year until they're (hopefully) resolved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Easy Rider wrote: »
    I have it set to use hs.vodafone.ie and am getting the H symbol no problem...have you gone to wireless controlls > Mobile network settings and entered the APN details?

I have my APN set to isp.vodafone.ie, for no reason other than this is what I had used on my last phone (2G HTC Touch). Is there a benefit to using hs.vodafone.ie? I do still get 3G and H when available.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Zagato wrote: »
    I have my APN set to isp.vodafone.ie, for no reason other than this is what I had used on my last phone (2G HTC Touch). Is there a benefit to using hs.vodafone.ie? I do still get 3G and H when available.
    According to Vodafone staff, the last time I checked with them:
    ISP is rate limited to a maximum transfer speed of 384Kbps, for Ready to Go and Billpay customers.
    HS is unrestricted and gives you the full theoretical speed for your sector. Only billpay customers can use it though, Ready to Go can't.

Things may have changed since I last checked with Vodafone so I'm open to correction on any of the above!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ptashek

It's an inherent problem of how humans work - we rarely brag about the good things, but bitch around like there's no tomorrow the moment anything goes wrong. And by the looks of things most of the problems mentioned here are provider-side rather than hardware-side. There's thousands of happy users, me including.

Sure, a device as complex as this will have bugs and annoyances. Flexibility comes at a price, and it's a question of whether you want to wait until the snags get ironed out or jump right in ;) In the first case, wait until April-May when the HTC "Bravo" is expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Any word on when Google might be rolling out paid apps to the Irish market? Does anyone know what's taking so long?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭paddy2k

Sorry for this shameless plug but I am a Hero owner too and have contributed to this thread earlier.
    Currently I'm in the final of a competition for a concept for Layar (if you have a Hero you should check it out in the market). If people could spare a minute to vote for Layar Slayer I'd really appreciate it : http://Layar.com/api

Thanks Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭darraghn

Kensington wrote: »
    According to Vodafone staff, the last time I checked with them:
    ISP is rate limited to a maximum transfer speed of 384Kbps, for Ready to Go and Billpay customers.
    HS is unrestricted and gives you the full theoretical speed for your sector. Only billpay customers can use it though, Ready to Go can't.

Things may have changed since I last checked with Vodafone so I'm open to correction on any of the above!

Thanks Kensington - just changed from isp.vodafone.ie to hs.vodafone.ie. Much faster. I'm on billpay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

What does it do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

ptashek wrote: »
    It's an inherent problem of how humans work - we rarely brag about the good things, but bitch around like there's no tomorrow the moment anything goes wrong. And by the looks of things most of the problems mentioned here are provider-side rather than hardware-side. There's thousands of happy users, me including.

Sure, a device as complex as this will have bugs and annoyances. Flexibility comes at a price, and it's a question of whether you want to wait until the snags get ironed out or jump right in ;) In the first case, wait until April-May when the HTC "Bravo" is expected.

Yep three of the main problems here are provider related.
    The "no service" issue which seems to be caused by meteors network.
    Twitter and gmail synch issues which again only happen on meteors data network.
    Can't receive calls while EDGE data is active, this is because the EDGE network type is NOM2 and is an issue that effects the iPhone on AT&T in the US as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Google goggles only available for v1.6+. Im running 1.5 from Meteor. Will Meteor at some stage make updates available somehow or do I have to do it manually myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

kc66 wrote: »
    Google goggles only available for v1.6+. Im running 1.5 from Meteor. Will Meteor at some stage make updates available somehow or do I have to do it manually myself?

They have suggest they will, but we'll just have to wait and see.
    HTC are rumored to be releasing a 2.1 update soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Collected a Hero at dinnertime from Meteor, is there anything i should install on it before i start copying over my contacts\music etc..

Do i need to upgrade firmware or OS ?

Also as theres over 100 pages of info. here, can someone put up a quick post on essential apps they recommend for the Hero !?

Thanks !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,127 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

darraghn wrote: »
    Thanks Kensington - just changed from isp.vodafone.ie to hs.vodafone.ie. Much faster. I'm on billpay.

me too, 2.5mb download :eek:

fanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

darraghn wrote: »

I have the 1GB isp deal with Vodafone...would changing it to hs effect this? Since it specifies "isp"

dloob wrote: »
    The "no service" issue which seems to be caused by meteors network.
    Nah, I've got a sim free phone on Vodafone and randomly get asked for my pin number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Yenwod wrote: »
    I have the 1GB isp deal with Vodafone...would changing it to hs effect this? Since it specifies "isp"
    Don't think the HS apn will work on the ISP promo, no. Best off checking here though, should be able to give you an official answer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,127 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Kensington wrote: »
    Don't think the HS apn will work on the ISP promo, no. Best off checking here though, should be able to give you an official answer!

i have the isp 1 gig promo and it works for me, ive seen it answered on the voda forum before that its fine too

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

Hi Kensington. Same question I had a couple of months back to the guys in vodafone, it does not affect it, you can use either or without a problem...I have the 1GB promo too.

Thank you, thank you...and thank you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

Hi guys,
    its great to see an active Hero community in ireland as well!

I just wanted to let you know that I have published a TV Guide for Ireland/UK on the android market.

Its called TellyZap Lite ... check it out here:
    http://www.androlib.com/android.application.com-chipset-tellyzap_lite-xtxq.aspx

It is free and allows you to browse programme listings for 67 channels. There is a Full version as well which allows you to see the programmes of the full week + sending SMS/Emails and set to calendar.

Any questions/feedback please contact me through boards or at the email address provided by the android Market.
    I hope you will find it useful!

thanks for reading!
    N

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

I know you can look up a map if you store a full street address in a contact but ist here a way to store a map location (ie open a contact and click to show where their house/building is on the map) if you don't have a complete street address?

thanks,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

elderlemon wrote: »
    I know you can look up a map if you store a full street address in a contact but ist here a way to store a map location (ie open a contact and click to show where their house/building is on the map) if you don't have a complete street address?

thanks,

not as far as I know.. and not with the standard contacts provider.
    you will need to save the bare set of GPS coordinates for the contact in order to achieve that.
    its not particularly difficult to do but requires to modify the stock contact provider and that is generally not a good idea.
    I would suggest you check on the android market if there is an alternate contact provider that will give you a similar function to what you're asking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement