Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Housemate works in meteor. He claimed yesterday that Android 2.0 was available from the HTC website, I quickly shot him down. Im guessing one of this workmates was talking about an eclair rom someone has cooked up, but not the real deal. :(

Hopefully soon though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Re Hero dropping coverage:

I did some testing and seems to be it cannot be solved by flashing new radio rom. I did flash it with all versions starting from the one which the phone was bought from meteor (06.18) to newest (09.26) and it is happening on all of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Can anyone comment on the Flash playback. Could you watch a video from the likes of the RTE Player in comfort?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

docentore wrote: »
    Re Hero dropping coverage:

I did some testing and seems to be it cannot be solved by flashing new radio rom. I did flash it with all versions starting from the one which the phone was bought from meteor (06.18) to newest (09.26) and it is happening on all of them.
    It only seems to be a problem on Meteor, and only while in 3G coverage - I've used Vodafone and O2 SIMs in the exact same handset (Vodafone for a month, O2 for a fortnight) and never once received the "No Service" message. But it's a daily occurence on Meteor. This'd suggest there's something on Meteor's network setup the Hero doesn't like...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 listentotheroar

please exuse total ignorance here...

i got the hero during the week and connected it to my home wireless eircom broadband. I thought that while i was in wireless range i was getting free internet on the phone. looking at my bill online i see that they were charging me at various times:this could be when i downloaded an "app"..can anyone tell me whether it should be free or not...thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Kensington wrote: »
    It only seems to be a problem on Meteor, and only while in 3G coverage - I've used Vodafone and O2 SIMs in the exact same handset (Vodafone for a month, O2 for a fortnight) and never once received the "No Service" message. But it's a daily occurence on Meteor. This'd suggest there's something on Meteor's network setup the Hero doesn't like...

I've tried the different radios too without much luck.
    It seems to happen if the phone is switching between 2G and 3G coverage.
    It looks like the network fails to validate the sim sometime during the switch.

please exuse total ignorance here...

i got the hero during the week and connected it to my home wireless eircom broadband. I thought that while i was in wireless range i was getting free internet on the phone. looking at my bill online i see that they were charging me at various times:this could be when i downloaded an "app"..can anyone tell me whether it should be free or not...thanks!

If it was connected to the wifi it should be free, but I think if the phone goes to sleep and turns the screen off then by default it disconnects from the wifi and any synchs and updates will go through mobile data.

You can change the wifi sleep policy to stop that at the expense of some extra battery drain.
    Settings->Wireless Controls->WiFi Settings then press menu and tap advanced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

or switch off the mobile internet (ie the one you pay for) until you need to do something while out of wifi range.

hold the power button for 2 seconds and then click on "mobile network" to switch it on or off.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    or switch off the mobile internet (ie the one you pay for) until you need to do something while out of wifi range.

hold the power button for 2 seconds and then click on "mobile network" to switch it on or off.

There is a widget you can stick on one of the home screens to toggle it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,127 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

lads does anyone have the issue on the vodafone network where the odd time people are getting put straight thro to your voicemail even tho you have full reception,

dunno if its a vodafone issue or hero?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Cyrus wrote: »
    lads does anyone have the issue on the vodafone network where the odd time people are getting put straight thro to your voicemail even tho you have full reception,

This only happens to me if the data connection is being used with GPRS i.e. no 3G service in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

There is a passable workaround for this issue.

Go to
    Menu > Settings > Wireless Controls > Mobile Network Settings > Use only 2G networks (checked)
    • You will now surf using a slow connection
    • Your Hero will no longer disconnect from the lousy Meteor network

Merry Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

lads does anyone have the issue on the Vodafone network where the odd time people are getting put straight through to your voice mail even tho you have full reception,

dunno if its a Vodafone issue or hero?

This problem existed on my handset too.
    Call Meteor support and they will have it fixed in 2 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Hey guys.

Got my hero about 2 weeks now, dead chuffed with it.

Bit disappointed with battery life, but got the Advanced App Killer, to close unused apps. WiFi Off when not used, mostly in Edge mode when not in Wifi hotspots or at home.

Haven't rooted it, to be honest, I'm not sure on what rooting it does, I'm still researching, and then I'll decide if I need to or not.

Haven't noticed any issue with calls not coming through, well once, but I was D/Ling like crazy when I first got it.

Have noticed that even with Meteor selected as my network, I've got the R roaming up, so I'm guessing thats Meteor piggybacking on a Vodafone signal? Means I can't connect to internet/apps properly.

The standard text message app seems fine, I've no issues with it, haven't tried any others. Same for browser. Is there any benefit to changing it?

Without trawling through 100+ pages (I'm trying, its fairly intensive going,) is it only free apps that we can access here in Ireland, or am I missing something?

I like that theres plenty to mess with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

T-Square wrote: »
    There is a passable workaround for this issue.

Go to
    Menu > Settings > Wireless Controls > Mobile Network Settings > Use only 2G networks (checked)
    • You will now surf using a slow connection
    • Your Hero will no longer disconnect from the lousy Meteor network

Merry Christmas
    Except now, whenever your Hero is transferring data over the EDGE connection, any incoming calls will be sent straight to your voicemail...
    EDIT: Been onto Meteor numerous times about this, and its still happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

Download the 2g/3g switch widget. Fairly handy, one click and you can simultaniously switch whenever you want between 2G and 3G networks depending on your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

Yeah it's happened to me a few times, get text messages to say I've missed calls from various people and in areas where there normally wouldn't be a problem with phonecalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

Without trawling through 100+ pages (I'm trying, its fairly intensive going,) is it only free apps that we can access here in Ireland, or am I missing something?

I like that theres plenty to mess with.

Currently only free apps are available in the Irish marketplace. As far as I know, you can root the phone & download marketenabler and then you can download paid apps. Haven't done it myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Thanks Yenwod, just after coming through the 100+ pages now. (My eyes hurt a bit now!)

With the amount of free apps, and some serious quality ones here, are we missing much on the paid for apps, anyone that can access them from a rooted?

Not too fussed on rooting it, I like it the way it is for the moment. I might root in future, depends on if I get bored enough or get it into my head that it HAS to be done.

I did manage to get a bit lost on the update numbers and that crack. Am I up to date, or behind?

My phone reads

Firmware Version 1.5

Baseband 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18

Kernel 2.6.27-8dd6deee
    htc [EMAIL="Kernel@and18-2"]Kernel@and18-2[/EMAIL] )

Build Number 2.73.405.5 146733 cl#61267 release keys

Software version 1.0.0.A6288

Haven't hooked it up to my lappy yet, just haven't had a chance yet, I'm guessing XP is ok, its not a Vista/7 bitch, is it?

Anyone have any suggestions on where to get an 8gig SD card? I'd like to chuck a few songs on there, never had a portable music device before. (I know, how out of touch was I? It was CD, or nothing! And even at that, I didn't have a portable CD yokey!)

Had one case of the SIM locking, but switched back to 2G the second that happened, and hasn't happened since, using the 2G/3G widget/shortcut, (one of the first things I picked up from mooching through this thread before I got the Hero)

anyone know of an app that finds the name and artist of a song, like sony erriccsons "TrackID"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Does anyone know if there is a way to disable suggestions when you press the search button? The screen keeps jumping when your typing something

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Phlegmo

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    anyone know of an app that finds the name and artist of a song, like sony erriccsons "TrackID"?

Yeah, Shazam does that.
    Free in the market.

Phlegmo wrote: »
    Yeah, Shazam does that.
    Free in the market.
    thanks!

downloaded and it works a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Guys I'm really sorry if this has been asked before, the thread's a bit unwieldly at this stage, and I have tried Googling but I'm still in the dark.

I'm thinking of buying a T-Mobile UK Hero off ebay because I really like the black model. The problem is this is locked to T-Mobile and presumably has their branded firmware on it. So I'm wondering:

1) How easy is it to unlock a Hero?
    2) Is it easy to debrand?
    3) How does rooting relate to these procedures?
    4) Once rooted, can I install the stock HTC rom found on sim-free variants of the Hero? Or only modded roms?

Answers or a guide that explains all this would be much appreciated. Thanks, and please excuse my n00bness :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Phlegmo

Breezer wrote: »
    Guys I'm really sorry if this has been asked before, the thread's a bit unwieldly at this stage, and I have tried Googling but I'm still in the dark.

I'm thinking of buying a T-Mobile UK Hero off ebay because I really like the black model. The problem is this is locked to T-Mobile and presumably has their branded firmware on it. So I'm wondering:

4) Once rooted, can I install the stock HTC rom found on sim-free variants of the Hero? Or only modded roms?

Answers or a guide that explains all this would be much appreciated. Thanks, and please excuse my n00bness :)

Recommend you join this board. Loads of Hero specific info, guides etc. Should get most of your answers from existing posts on there.

forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=508

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Where did you get the Hero. None of the ones on sale in Ireland are locked.
    Neither are they branded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Where did you get the Hero. None of the ones on sale in Ireland are locked.
    Neither are they branded.
    I'm thinking of buying a T-Mobile UK Hero off ebay because I really like the black model.
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭breeno

Lads,

I did a system reset of my phone a while back and have every thing set up again as I want, apart from the MMS Settings.

Could some kind soul please post their Meteor MMS settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

;)

Better stay off the drink i think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 davehealy

breeno wrote: »
    Lads,

I did a system reset of my phone a while back and have every thing set up again as I want, apart from the MMS Settings.

Could some kind soul please post their Meteor MMS settings?

I've done exactly the same thing. I need MMS and Data settings if anyone would be so good as to share them.
    Meteor customer service were no help with the settings.

I will never forget to backup my ROM again.

Thanks,
    Dave

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement